DIY: Glossy LED TV bezel to Matte Black

vbhoj74

Hello Guys,

I've a VU 55" LED Tv which had a glossy bezel and was an eye sore. Since I'm under extended warranty I was looking to convert it to matte finish without effecting the warranty. So of all the methods available, the safest & best I found was plastidip, it is something you can just peel off later if you do not like or for warranty purposes. It will not mark the original surface.

Here is the TV before the DIY:

k5PpWoz.jpg

pWSvG5A.jpg

TG5OT2m.jpg

This is what I applied:

oHHRPJt.jpg

I masked the rest of the surface first:

lryPPcp.jpg

Here is the TV after first 2 coats:

6flg0yE.jpg

n4nvmLM.jpg

Lgm3hmh.jpg

The left corner is where I started, and since it was my 1st attempt at this, this corner was not coming out good. I started spraying with this corner which I should not, I should have started from outside the original area:

1TLft0S.jpg

But I continued with 4 coats irrespective, and this was the end result:

7jDfyHO.jpg

HHHnJUK.jpg

tdlb83f.jpg

Did not keep the VU branding or the silver bottom finish:

mS158lN.jpg

s140VTG.jpg

This is the not so good left edge, but it is not that bad from a distance:

AskMPL8.jpg

I could say the center speaker came with the TV :D :
0jVkCLo.jpg

Over all, I'm very satisfied with the result.

Looks like you screwed up the painting. Suggest you leave it like that for several weeks before doing anything " if you really think it's worth it" .
Your warranty must be shot in any case.....I think.
You have 'made changes' to the TV. You can't even see the manufacturers name ! They need only the smallest excuse to wriggle out of a warranty. It costs them money !
You should have done this after the warranty expired. But like all of us you were impatient. We all pay a price for this ! :)
I have a 27 inch PC monitor lying dismantled because it had some problem with the power supply. After opening it I found that it was still covered under warranty ! Now it will not apply ! Expensive mistake ! :)
I may have to dump it if I cannot fix it myself !

Moral : patience always pays !

Rightly said by fanatstic. You should have avoided this paint job, what if a little bit of spray paint goes into the panel?? I can see you covered the whole panel and sealed it but still it can make things go wrong. Now vu will not entertain any warranty claims what i think. And in my vu panel the bezels are not that shiny. They have a plastic lamination done on them which doesnt make them shine. You should have put a plastic lamination on the bezels. And atleast u should not have painted vu logo. But nevertheless matte finish looks good. I will order this paint can but to use with my car.not with my led panel.

Looks like you screwed up the painting. Suggest you leave it like that for several weeks before doing anything " if you really think it's worth it" .
You have 'made changes' to the TV. You can't even see the manufacturers name ! They need only the smallest excuse to wriggle out of a warranty. It costs them money !
You should have done this after the warranty expired. But like all of us you were impatient. We all pay a price for this ! :)
I have a 27 inch PC monitor lying dismantled because it had some problem with the power supply. After opening it I found that it was still covered under warranty ! Now it will not apply ! Expensive mistake ! :)

True, but I cannot wait for 2 yrs as I consider the life of this panel around 4 yrs, what is the point if I do not enjoy my viewing completely for half of it's life. Just my personal opinion.

I screwed up on the top left corner only, I could pull it out and re-spray, but I cannot even make out the screw up from a distance, so I decided to just leave it like that.

Rightly said by fanatstic. You should have avoided this paint job, what if a little bit of spray paint goes into the panel?? I can see you covered the whole panel and sealed it but still it can make things go wrong. Now vu will not entertain any warranty claims what i think. And in my vu panel the bezels are not that shiny. They have a plastic lamination done on them which doesnt make them shine. You should have put a plastic lamination on the bezels. And atleast u should not have painted vu logo. But nevertheless matte finish looks good. I will order this paint can but to use with my car.not with my led panel.

This is acrylic paint and can be taken off leaving the original surface intact. I hope I do not have to go for any warranty claims later, but I'll take my chances with it (if at all the paint has made any damages to the surface).

BTW, check this video on removing the paint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r7xvBSqhOE

Last edited:
Link to the paint material I used:

Plasti Dip Camo

@someshkapoor: The paint itself is like a protective plastic lamination, there is no need to apply any other layer under it. After the paint the surface feels like the back side of the moto G 1st gen. I'm very happy how it over all looks without any shine/glare edges. Also, I do not see how the paint will go inside the set if you have sealed it properly. The newspaper on the back that you see in the pictures, is actually taped to the back edge of the bezel, so there is nothing exposed except the bezel plastic. The paint I used is not for the car, check the link provided. :)

Last edited:

Guys, kindly read before posting, this not paint, the material he has used is called Plastidip, it can be removed without any marks or damage. So, There will be no warranty worries here as he can remove it if there is any warranty claim.

Moral of the story: Read the opening post completely and understand the topic before passing judgement and gloating about it :D

The new Matte Black finish looks excellent, the glossy bezels looked horrendous. Except the upper left part, the rest of the TV looks factory finish. Now, that you are experienced in applying Plastidip, you can reapply again later with better finish.

Guys, kindly read before posting, this not paint, the material he has used is called Plastidip, it can be removed without any marks or damage. So, There will be no warranty worries here as he can remove it if there is any warranty claim.

Moral of the story: Read the opening post completely and understand the topic before passing judgement and gloating about it :D

I know it can ne removed. But still its a spray paint which can be removed. He sprayed it on the bezals using the can.

Link to the paint material I used:

Plasti Dip Camo

@someshkapoor: The paint itself is like a protective plastic lamination, there is no need to apply any other layer under it. After the paint the surface feels like the back side of the moto G 1st gen. I'm very happy how it over all looks without any shine/glare edges. Also, I do not see how the paint will go inside the set if you have sealed it properly. The newspaper on the back that you see in the pictures, is actually taped to the back edge of the bezel, so there is nothing exposed except the bezel plastic. The paint I used is not for the car, check the link provided. :)

I will not be using it to paint my car. I will be applying it to ORVM of my car so they appear to be matte carbon fibre look

And at the end of the day all that matters is sir vbhoj's happiness If he is happy and satisfied with his work. Everthing is fine and hope you habe many more yeaes.of hassle free tv vieiwimg with your vu 55 incher. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice idea...
Maybe you can perfect it by peeling it off and do again for a smooth finish throughout.

How much did you get these cans for? And from where did you get it?

Very nice idea...
Maybe you can perfect it by peeling it off and do again for a smooth finish throughout.

How much did you get these cans for? And from where did you get it?
If I peel it off the entire coat on the bezel will come off and I would have to redo again. I took a close up of the messed up area so that anyone willing to try it will not repeat the same mistake, other than that it really is a small area and not so visible.

I bought it from flipkart, 1200 bucks was the damage. I've around half can left after 4 coats.

Hello Guys,

So of all the methods available, the safest & best I found was plastidip, it is something you can just peel off later if you do not like or for warranty purposes. It will not mark the original surface.

Over all, I'm very satisfied with the result.

WOW, that looks absolutely fantastic. :clapping:

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back