DIY guidance needed for bookshelf speakers for PC

Kannan_madhu

I am planing to make a pair of diy bookshelfs + amp for my pc , mainly for music which will sound better than my humble altec 2.1 (vs2621) .I read about 3886 Myref amplifier here and i think i can get it assembled by my friend . i would like to know weather it requires a preamp or can i connect it directly to sound outs of pc ? . And for the speakers can somebody direct my to diy projects using commonly available drivers in India (around some 3k for parts excluding wood and carpentry).
Thanks in advance

Madhu

Ps. is here anybody from calicut ?

Last edited:
The kit that linuxguru is offering does not need a dac. I believe in his post he has mentioned that he has used the output from computer. I am trying to build one of those at this time.

I searched for some drivers at local shops (Calicut) but none of them stock branded drives . Only dainty is available which is reasonably known but i suspect they are fake ones since the packing is so cheep . Only print on the box is 8ohm /4ohm woofer and no other specs . and the shopkeepers are not interested in selling them also when i inquired about them they are pushing cheep 2.1 and 5.1 Chinese stuff. Can anybody from Cochin or Trichur help me in finding some good drivers.

. i would like to know weather it requires a preamp or can i connect it directly to sound outs of pc ? . And for the speakers can somebody direct my to diy projects using commonly available drivers in India .

The MyRef can be directly connected to the line or headphone-out of a soundcard. You can control the volume using the SW mixer application or the sound player application.

If you know anybody in Chennai, a good source for imported/surplus drivers is Rajlakshmi Traders off Ritchie Street in Chennai.

Back