diy hifi rack of paving slabs and bricks ?

womble-ears

i know its not the best or ideal thing to use as you cant move it about and it would be unstable but let me worry about that as the idea intrigues me and im very surprised that i cant find a single thing on the net of anyone who has ever used simple bricks / breeze blocks / paving slabs to make a diy hi fi rack , so before i go out and buy / find the stuff to try this , is there anyone out there who has tried this or suggestions why it wouldnt work ?
i have all naim seperates , pre amp , amp , power supply , dvd , so 4 units requiring 4 shelves but i never kept pre and amp seperate for years - never could afford a proper rack and it wasnt until late last year when i added the dvd and power supply which i got s/h so had to consider siting them to get the best out of them ... so my diy improvised set up at mo its a bit heath robinson and im using a secondhand mdf or chipboard unit with its own shelves , supported on tennis balls , each seperate on half squash balls , better than before i did that but rather harsh cd playback so then decided last night to experiment and add weight to it with ... tins of paint , tins of food , jars , anything heavy to weigh down the sides and rear of it and full 7" record boxes ontop of the cd/dvd , also had a 2kg bag of lentils there too until i removed them to make a dhall ! - sounds mad i know and its looking crazy too but it actually does sound better than before , its removed the harshness of cd and improved the clarity and made it actually pleasant to listen to now , like being stroked instead of punched in the face , so maybe i dont need to try anything else but im wondering on the difference already achieved if that could be even better with said building site chic . i have read people using paving slabs under speakers but surely a rock solid set up of bricks or breeze blocks supporting shelves of paving slabs for seperates would work well and be better than what i have right now ???? , think i'll be keeping the tennis balls and squash balls and weight ontop of cd idea if i do attempt this , will have eaten the lentils , but open to suggestions or advice or comments on just tell me how you cant stop laughing at this

Me Thinking aloud.
Earth is already rotating at about 1670 km/hr at its equator( This speed will be less at other latitude the city/location is located).Looks like there are bound to be a lot of Turbulence too because of this, how do we compensate this.Say,The Music recorded was in LA (34.0522 N, 118.2428 W - per wikipeida :indifferent14:) and you are trying to run the same CD, say some town/city in india (29.0167 N, 77.3833 E) - Replace this with your city's location.
You should be able to use this formula to identify the exact speed of earth rotation at your city wrt the Location at which the Artist recorded his music and try to compensate the air Turbulence because of the Earth moving so fast.
Pl. Also consider the Moons Gravitational pull during every new moon( heard that the sea level rises few meters ), so , If your house is not with proper foundation of 14 feet(no scientific reason but assuming to have proper stronghold) and above the house may swing, tilt every-time moon is overhead.
Also , do check if we have any mining activity going on nearby, as they normally rock the ground very frequently sending seismic turbulence very often.

Also, do check if we have the same humidity and temperature and air composition to replicate the original sound wave.- as these effect the speed of sound ( normal air is about 330 mts/sec while in helium it is about 960 mts/sec ) - so do take care as different frequencies may be augmented to reach your ear faster than normal - some say timing of the low freq( subwoofers) are not in line with the rest of the music....

... does any one know if these will effect the high /mid or the low frequencies.... i think the low frequencies will be washed out as these have larger wave length ( something like 34 meter for 10 Hz )... may be , I have to an computer controlled subwoofer to time the push and pull activity of the woofers diaphram in relation to these factors and the listening distance. :cool:

Me thinking ends here. ....easy guys.

i know its not the best or ideal thing to use as you cant move it about and it would be unstable but let me worry about that as the idea intrigues me and im very surprised that i cant find a single thing on the net of anyone who has ever used simple bricks / breeze blocks / paving slabs to make a diy hi fi rack , so before i go out and buy / find the stuff to try this , is there anyone out there who has tried this or suggestions why it wouldnt work ?
i have all naim seperates , pre amp , amp , power supply , dvd , so 4 units requiring 4 shelves but i never kept pre and amp seperate for years - never could afford a proper rack and it wasnt until late last year when i added the dvd and power supply which i got s/h so had to consider siting them to get the best out of them ... so my diy improvised set up at mo its a bit heath robinson and im using a secondhand mdf or chipboard unit with its own shelves , supported on tennis balls , each seperate on half squash balls , better than before i did that but rather harsh cd playback so then decided last night to experiment and add weight to it with ... tins of paint , tins of food , jars , anything heavy to weigh down the sides and rear of it and full 7" record boxes ontop of the cd/dvd , also had a 2kg bag of lentils there too until i removed them to make a dhall ! - sounds mad i know and its looking crazy too but it actually does sound better than before , its removed the harshness of cd and improved the clarity and made it actually pleasant to listen to now , like being stroked instead of punched in the face , so maybe i dont need to try anything else but im wondering on the difference already achieved if that could be even better with said building site chic . i have read people using paving slabs under speakers but surely a rock solid set up of bricks or breeze blocks supporting shelves of paving slabs for seperates would work well and be better than what i have right now ???? , think i'll be keeping the tennis balls and squash balls and weight ontop of cd idea if i do attempt this , will have eaten the lentils , but open to suggestions or advice or comments on just tell me how you cant stop laughing at this

There are no theories about brick racks not being as good. They can be actually better than most run of the mill commercial racks unless you were planning to spend 20k euros on it.

Stabilizing disc spinners and speakers does add to the sound quality. It has been observed by most audiophiles around the globe.

btw, your post was a pain to read. all small letters are as irritating as ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, And All Mixed Case Sentences.

So please be nice and use proper case. There are no marks for being funny or irritating here.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back