DIY KITS - Transmission Line Speakers - Interest Check

Hari Iyer

I was contemplating the idea of introducing DIY Kits for building TL speakers. Initially will plan to launch with Peerless India drivers and depending upon response will launch with international brands.

The kit will include the following,

1. Drivers (woofer and Tweeter) - Initially Peerless drivers
2. Completely build cross-over networks.
3. Connecting wires between cross-over and drivers
4. Terminals
5. Screws
6. Drawings for building the boxes - Plan
7. Cross-over simulated response of the speaker system.
8. Sample polyester fiber damping material required.

What will not be included:
1. speaker boxes and wood required for building.

Intersted FMs can PM me for various configuration and possible price for the kits.

A good initiative, but at what Price?

The kit or the BOM incldes a Price.
this can also be at various slabs
say 1-10 - Rsxxxx/-
11-20 - Rsxyyy/-

Personally, I'm already paying a heavy price:eek:hyeah:. so,I may not jump right now.

Instead of having numerous PMs flying back and forth, it'd be great if you can share details of kit options here itself. Then interested FMs can contact you over Pm to discuss pricing (if you're hesitant to disclose it openly)

Thanks for all your responses and interest in the speaker kits. I will be kitting only those drivers from Peerless which i have build myself and have an oppotunity of testing and improving upon. I can offer kits with the following woofer size of 4", 5.25", 6.25" - paper cone, polyproplene cone, kevlar cone drivers. The tweeters i suggest is low resonance silk dome tweeter as my cross-overs as first order design.

As per forum rules i think i cannot put prices here and i do not have any website currently to re-direct and hence will be PM all the respondants dircetly.

Once gain thanks for your response.

I wonder what happen to GR Research kits on the group buy earlier... Very Very few guys have completed that...;)

More details about the kit,

1. Drivers (pair) - Woofer & Tweeter - Drivers will have to be measured for their resonance, impedance and linearity before the cross-over can be build for them. Hence will be supplying the drivers to match them pefectly to the cross-over and the box. Also the TS parameters will influence the box size by atleast 5%to 10%.

2. Completely build pair of cross-over network - I will be using a first order Butterworth crossover with 2 filter components and 9 to 12 other components for impedance matching, level matching, resonance matching and harmonic balance. Total passive components will be around 11 to 14 depending upon the drivers used. Inductors will use 18SWG wire or 20SWG wires. All filter cacitors will be polyester type and all others will be Non-polar type. All resistors will be wire wound or metal oxide type. Component tolerance will be <1% for both channels. Glass epoxy PCB will be used throughout the construction and all soldering will be done by silver solder of highest quality.

3. Accessories like wires, terminals, screws will be provided along with the KIT.

4. Will provide the damping material sample for you to procure locally. Will use recron polyester fiber of a specific density which be shipped for as a sample. Also the weight of damping will be specified for the particular model.

5. Drawing / Instructions will be provided to build the box to exact dimensions required. The specific cutout can be decided by the carpenter directly to fix the drivers in the baffle. Damping instructions will be provided.

6. Speaker placement and other tips will be provided along with the KIT for optimum speaker positioning in the room.

Will be eager to get users feeback on the SQ too. I can also supply a Finished Good if required.

That is an better choice..
I see very less interest in DIY activities and just the kits are sleeping in the racks of FM houses without music coming out from that( any way i know it is not my business to mind). Efforts and money spent on those are gone..;)

Good initiative Hari-Ji

However I am only interested in FAST designs. If you ever get around to this kind of project, I'll be a happy participant.

Cheers
G0bble

FAST design? Do you mean delivery time?

Oh no ... It is a quiet popular term on the net and not without its confusions in intended meanings. But to summarize - a FAST design is small wideband driver like a 3" paired with a large woofer with a crossover set very low like between 200 to 500hz. Fullrange Assisted Subwoofer Technology. The crossover may be electronic or its frequency decided by a calculated cabinet volume.

Edit: Here is an example:
14.png

A bit OT but thats the path I am going...

G0bble

Last edited:
OT, but If I'm not mistaken, that Boenicke has a tweeter at the rear. And I think it uses off the shelf drivers.

Meaning what?

The volume of a sealed cabinet will determine the natural rolloff frequency. No electronics required here just careful cabinet volume design based on driver parameters.

Hi Gobble

Why don't you look at Rethms. They work on the same principle
I didn't know that. But I don't want to afford expensive speakers unless I give up on DIY speakers.

G0bble

DIY is great. But at least have a 5 inch full ranger. Mids from a 3 inch full ranger doesn't really cut ice

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back