DIY Oxygen Concentrator

hydrovac

Hello,
I’m no expert at this... Just 48 hours ago when my medical friends suggested we pivot to open source OCs I had no idea how they worked. Turns out the theory is actually quite simple.
We are working on a project to build a high-purity oxygen concentrator system, a small-scale two-bed (PSA) process using zeolite 13X molecular sieve type to have a small layout for the plant.
To build a molecular sieve system and attain these levels, we need 13X sodium zeolite 0.5mm Pellet size

I would appreciate any assistance or information, anyone is able to provide regarding where to procure this crystalline mineral.

https://oxikit.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/OxiKit-DIY-Oxygen-Concentrator-15-LPM-High-Flow-Design-and-Schematics.jpg

Attachments

• OxiKit DIY Oxygen Concentrator 15 LPM High Flow Design and Schematics.pdf
    198.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks capt,

Could locate sources for all other parts, but still stuck at Zeolite.
There are couple of vendors on Trade India... not sure about the authenticity of the product though.

Finally sourced all the input parts required for the build... Solenoid valves, fittings, pneumatic tubing, compressor, Zeolite, Arduino Uno and relay board.

Build log:

First canister:
1600915725445.jpeg

Springs arrangement to keep the Zeolite compressed: (these are from a scrapped treadmill)
1600917553595.jpeg

1600917572778.jpeg

Second sieve, control valves and some fittings:
1600915831560.jpeg

1600916058847.jpeg

Trying frame layout:
1600916004874.jpeg

Simple steel frame with left over pine wood from my HT baffle wall:
1600916156439.jpeg

1600916331903.jpeg

1600916689585.jpeg

Fitted 2 pole mains MCB and 12VDC for controller/relay board, made a cooling coil with 3/8 inch copper tube:
1600916761621.jpeg

1600917003445.jpeg

Compressor and Zeolite arrived:
1600918139954.jpeg

1600918148974.jpeg

Will mount the compressor and fittings today and update:

Last edited:
Great effort - another great open source contribution from Hyd, after the Open source ventilator

Great initiative! @hydrovac and beautiful build... you seem to have varied interests. This level if diy is beyond my comprehension.
The title doesn't seems to be generating a lot of interest among FM... may be if you change it to 'DIY Oxygen Concentrator', it might evoke some attention... just my thought.

Please keep us posted on the progress.
Thanks

@hydrovac , this is so impressive ..am beyond speechless at your initiative and passion !
Thanks @arj, this is purely a situation driven initiative.

Great initiative! @hydrovac and beautiful build... you seem to have varied interests. This level if diy is beyond my comprehension.
The title doesn't seems to be generating a lot of interest among FM... may be if you change it to 'DIY Oxygen Concentrator', it might evoke some attention... just my thought.

Please keep us posted on the progress.
Thanks
Thanks for the suggestion @flat_listener... request the mods @arj, @captrajesh to change the thread title, if this is possible.

Nice work.. So how pure and how much quantity of oxygen will this be able to produce? Any idea?
Thanks @Dr.Lakshay,
This machine is designed to produce an incredible 15 LPM at 95% concentrated oxygen continuously.

Thanks @arj, this is purely a situation driven initiative.

Thanks for the suggestion @flat_listener... request the mods @arj, @captrajesh to change the thread title, if this is possible.

Thanks @Dr.Lakshay,
This machine is designed to produce an incredible 15 LPM at 95% concentrated oxygen continuously.

That's good. So it can be used for only a single low risk patient or even two. What is the approximate cost of the build if you don't mind sharing?

According to a doctor friend, in the context of the COVID-HOT algorithm, they recommend the use of oxygen concentrators at flow rates of 5 L/min or less for low risk patients. The actual value depends on the patient’s inspiratory peak flow... anyways, you know better Doc.

Finished all the interconnects with solenoid valves... will do a dry run tomorrow, check for any leaks and adjust the pressure settings... yet to calculate the costing.

1601349118273.jpeg

1601349076388.jpeg

1601349169252.jpeg

1601349191202.jpeg

According to a doctor friend, in the context of the COVID-HOT algorithm, they recommend the use of oxygen concentrators at flow rates of 5 L/min or less for low risk patients. The actual value depends on the patient’s inspiratory peak flow... anyways, you know better Doc.

Finished all the interconnects with solenoid valves... will do a dry run tomorrow, check for any leaks and adjust the pressure settings... yet to calculate the costing.

View attachment 50177

View attachment 50176

View attachment 50178

View attachment 50179

Practical reality is actually not the same. Working in covid wards, I have seen that people who have to be put on oxygen therapy usually require more than 5L/m. I did make a mistake earlier by saying low risk. I meant for moderate risk. Low risk patients rarely require oxygen therapy.
I'm not that technically sound to say if this will work with bipap or ventilator. We need a pressure of around 3-4 bar in our central supply for bipap and ventilator. So if it has adequate storage and can meet pressure requirements then this is a very very nice product. Would love to see it in action.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back