DIY - Power Strip - Acrylic + Lead + Oyaide [Schucko] + P.U. Resin - Sound Foundation

bhagwan

Hello All !

This is a thread for a DIY Project that I am getting done @ Sound Foundations - Magma - Ali.

I imported from Japan some Euro Schucko Wall Sockets - Female - Oyaide
Oyaide SWD-GX-E - 1 Piece
Oyaide SWD-GX-E [This is the model I am to use]

The Box was 'custom' made by Ali [Magma] @ Sound Foundations.

The Power Cord was Lapp [German]

Shielding was Lead - sourced locally.

Some Pictures, I will try and post as many as I can.

2 boxes were made - 4 plugs [front and] & 2 plugs [amps]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I shall post more pics - soon...

Re: DIY - Power Strip - Actylic + Lead + Oyaide [Schucko] + P.U. Resin - Sound Founda

Looking for the rest of the pics and more details.

Re: DIY - Power Strip - Actylic + Lead + Oyaide [Schucko] + P.U. Resin - Sound Founda

Essentially this is a Power Distribution Box.
I have 1 from Acoustic Revive RTP-4
However that came with US Plugs.
All my Power Cables are Euro - Schucko
Therefore, the RTP-4 is in spare & cannot be used by me.

I decided to go DIY & make a [two] boxes that would suit my needs.

This is made in Acrylic - 12mm [all sides]
Inner layer is 0.5mm Lead [Sheet on all sides]
P.U. Resin - Liquid - poured in & allowed to 'set'
Linned with a rubber / foam material.
All sockets - female - are :-

Power Cord is Lapp - Germany.
Covered in Lead [foil]

More to come....

Acrylic Box - before the lead & foam & PU Resin went in. Sides have been 'scratched' so that Araldite will 'hold'

Lead lining on the boxs is 1.0 mm

Lead foil coiled around the cable is 0.5mm

warning : please use lead carefully - it is a Carcinogen and dangerous if ingested.
It is banned in the EU and the US i think.Hence no cable maker or distribution box mfg uses it inspite of having supreme emi and rf blocking/rejecting properties

Entire box (insides) will be filled with liquid resin and the top will be closed and sealed with the bottom of the sockets submerged in the resin
Once the resin sets the internal wires get "cemented" in place
The resin is also an electrical insulater

In effect the box will be one solid piece

socket internal wiring
There are NO joints
each socket is daisy chained to the other using a single homogeneous uncut cable ( i.e 1 core) that is stripped from the main 3 core cable itself
(i.e there are no wire segments- the main wire has never been cut )

Thank You Magma;
Nice Pics & well illustrated.
I too will add a few pics - mobile quality - so do excuse;

This shows the top plate that has been wired with 1 piece - no cut.
Also the cable has been covered in heat shrink - different colour. All cables are 1.5mm square.

Neat work, congrats.

Where did you buy Lapp kable? India or abroad?

All material except the Oyaide was sourced locally.
The Lapp is sold in Indian. Bipin Kumar & Company - Lohar Chawl - Mumbai.
I have to get the Oyaide from Japan - direct import.

This is what I got from Japan - 6 pcs.

Re: DIY - Power Strip - Acrylic + Lead + Oyaide [Schucko] + P.U. Resin - Sound Founda

BTW, what is the purpose of the resin? Is it meant to stay liquid? Or it should set hard?

Re: DIY - Power Strip - Acrylic + Lead + Oyaide [Schucko] + P.U. Resin - Sound Founda

What is the model no. of the lapp kabel?

Cost?

Thanks

BTW, what is the purpose of the resin? Is it meant to stay liquid? Or it should set hard?

This will become 100 % hard - like a 'rock'
It serves 2 purposes.
a]
Seals all Loose Spaces
b]
Keeps the Power Cables in place & insulates them - from each other & from the outside. 100 % safe thing to do.

What is the model no. of the lapp kabel?

Cost?

Thanks

Sir,
I do not remember the model - however, it was @ 400 or 500 Rs. per meter - if I remember - not sure - do pardon my memory..
However, it is the best you can get in India - I feel.
Even the spades I used are from abroad & were of excellent quality.
My Electrician [courtesy Ali] did an excellent job. Worth every cent I paid him...

Thanks for intimation of the cost, but what cable of lapp do I ask bipin kumar for, as their website shows a lot of variety.

Am attaching their website info, pls confirm which 1 you selected from that list, Thanks!

Bipinkumar Electric Corporation

Thanks for intimation of the cost, but what cable of lapp do I ask bipin kumar for, as their website shows a lot of variety.

Am attaching their website info, pls confirm which 1 you selected from that list, Thanks!

Bipinkumar Electric Corporation
Sir,
To be truthful to you - this company has the poorest web designer in the world. Trying to find a product that suits your needs is next to impossible.
Best is to visit them @ Lohar Chawl - tell them you need 1.5mm sq. 3 cable - shielded & they will help.
That is all the help can offer - do accept my apologies.
Thanks,
;)

@Denom: If you want to DIY something similar, you should be safe with a cable that can handle 16A current per board (assuming 4-5 sockets). If you have power hungry power amps, it is a good idea to have a second board from another supply point for power amps only.

BTW, it is quite difficult to find shielded power cables, and even harder to find shielded power cables with armour (like the Lapp which Bhagwan showed in his pictures). Typical armoured cables are very inflexible and look and feel agricultural and crude. The armour provides additional RF/EMI shielding besides being much tougher for rodents.

An alternative to the Lapp is: MX ULTIMATE POWER CORD SERIES - MX ULTIMATE POWER CORD SERIES Exporter, Manufacturer & Supplier, Mumbai, India

Rs 280/meter. Shielded, 13 AWG, OCC, 6N purity, quite flexible. I use this in an experimental DIY power cord and I like it a lot (compares favourably with some "factory-made" power cables costing 8-12 times).

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back