DIY power supply for SSP and Raspberry pi

tusharganvir

Hello Experts,

Some days back..Sachin sent me an SSP pre amp Kit.

I soldered the kit and it is sounding awesome... :yahoo:..... Thanks to Sachin Sir :signthankspin:

Now I am planning to build a dedicated power supply using a 12v 5amp transformer, which will power my SSP kit and Raspberry pi.

Being novice in electronics :confused:, request experts to help me in building one.

What value diodes should I use for bridge rectifier and the value of Capacitor for filtration?

OR

Do we have a ready made already available which will be able to give 5v 2amp to my Rasberry pi and 12v to the SSP.

Thanks,
Tushar Ganvir

Dear Tushar,

If you use 12v AC rail, after rectification, it will become around 17v DC. Now if you put a regulator to regulate 5v @2.2 amp continuous, it will generate too much heat because of the voltage difference (17v-5v=12v). It is recommended to use a nominal voltage diff (like 5v) across the regulator ic. So an efficient 0-6v 3amp trafo will do the job IMHO. I am also building same kind of lpsu for my pi. Request you to follow this thread

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-pc/58353-raspberry-pi-2-media-player.html

All the best!

Last edited by a moderator:
for the SSP, use one of these
https://www.eightaudio.in/products/15volts-dual-crc-filter-psu?variant=9804834372 (it's available on ebay for a higher price)
do you have a 5A transformer already? Its not really needed

also, for the pi,

here you go
Dual Output 5V 12V DC Power Supply Board Based ON IC 7805 7812 Input 12V AC | eBay

although if you want to build a psu, we can help - its one of the best beginner projects for someone who wants to learn the basics of circuit design

Just wanted to clarify one point - 78xx series regulators are noisy. So its very doubtful how much improvement this regulator can make over a SMPS based charger. Its better to use a superior regulator for PI LPSU.

Hello Experts,

Some days back..Sachin sent me an SSP pre amp Kit.

I soldered the kit and it is sounding awesome... :yahoo:..... Thanks to Sachin Sir :signthankspin:

Now I am planning to build a dedicated power supply using a 12v 5amp transformer, which will power my SSP kit and Raspberry pi.

Have you tries Om's power supply?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Vq8o84-sMYM/VjH1Kz9vtwI/AAAAAAAAA3o/YtBAbHuAd38/s1600/photo+3+%284%29.JPG
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/21036-pass-b1-31.html

Same for b1 use?

Oh, Om Powersupply takes upto 1A I guess.
I have used ebay powersupply,but found Om's PS much better.
Yes. I do believe it's better than el cheapo PSUs. But as per design constraints, it won't draw anything beyond 1.5amp I believe. I am using it with my k-buffer.

A good seasonic smps runs fanless or almost fanless and have specs that are difficult to beat for a normal linear supply
Few linear supplies will be able top it
Though the hdplex specs top the best seasonic
But at what value ?
I would find the whole linear supply thing debatable whether the lower noise floor
Can be heard or not when compared to a top seasonic

Ofcourse that's my personal opinion
Only till I can extensively hear for myself

You want something just for the Pi
The apple charger would work very well

A good seasonic smps runs fanless or almost fanless and have specs that are difficult to beat for a normal linear supply
Few linear supplies will be able top it
Though the hdplex specs top the best seasonic
But at what value ?
I would find the whole linear supply thing debatable whether the lower noise floor
Can be heard or not when compared to a top seasonic

Ofcourse that's my personal opinion
Only till I can extensively hear for myself

You want something just for the Pi
The apple charger would work very well

One guy has measured ripple and noise of each every popular mobile chargers in the market
Guess what the apple iphone charger and ipad charger came on top. One was best with ripple and other with noise
I am trying best to find the page. I wanted to post it on the Raspberry pi page too but still not successful in finding the link

Power requirements of a desktop PC are quiet high comparing RPI so yeah price becomes a concern but when it comes to RPI, a simple Teradak LPSU did bring about changes which were well worth its price

Not sure how a teradak LPSU will compare against a Sbooster LPSU which costs a whopping 300 GBP

Just wanted to clarify one point - 78xx series regulators are noisy. So its very doubtful how much improvement this regulator can make over a SMPS based charger. Its better to use a superior regulator for PI LPSU.

the 78XX datasheet quotes 78db of ripple rejection (should translate to <200uV of ripple for a 1V input ripple) and noise of 40uV.

I think this is far better compared to the ~100mV of noise present on most cheap adapters.

This topic is chewed so many times.
IMO, there is no single power supply solution for all purpose. Line regulation (ripple rejection ), load regulation and self noise of regulator are basic requirement. With the load requirement, whose sensitivity to PS matters in choosing design.
One sample discussion, http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=36536.0
There may be many such more.

riks

i have no experience with the PI

but from what ive read ( and ive read too little)

the reason why the pi was a hit was not because it had super performance
(well that was noticed only after the primary reason)
primary reason - well it was cheap!!!
(that cheapness coupled with the performance it gave made it a hit

so
just my thoughts

the PI is what 50$ ?
and putting a 300$ linear supply (well even a 100$ LPS ) with it well seems a bit umm counter advantageous to me ( since the whole point was cheap super performance)

and now the gains that people hear with a 300 $ lpsu with the 50$ pi describing the combination to be at a "whole new level" seems so interesting to me

the thing is..... im slowly becoming a measurement fanatic
because im tending to realize that thats the only truth i know without trusting ears of others to make a decision

hence when i look at measurements of good smps's like the seasonics as compared to actual measured values some linear supplies at the OutPut ( sc or dac )
it tends to interest me that linear supplies are the best way to go even over some really good measuring SMPS ( keepng in mindthe value addition chain )

even though the bloody good smps's cost a fraction of the linear supplies and measure just as well at the Output ( in normal human listening conditions )

for example
the only selling point of the BIG HDplex is the 2mv noise at full op
this is basically useless info
WHAT HD plex should really do is publish a mesasurement sheet of the measured analogue OP of a dac/amp whatever and show us how the HD plex betters a good SMPS as measured output ( THD and noise )

im not concerned with 2mv advertised figure
im concerned with how much noise is carried to the OP of my audio ( dac soundcard whatever ) - because that is the only thing that i actually hear

a dirty /bad supply with really bad ripple in the power supply will either modulate the i/p signal or will show up directly at the op of a SC or dac
hence if this shows up on measurements one can be sure that the PSU is crappy
but if it doesnt your pretty much good to go i would think

ofcourse i should not be entitled to write what i just wrote since i have no personal experience ( im just looking at measurements)

one should also understand a half decent dac has decent rejection and regulators built in that reject noise and jitter sometimes making the exotic supplies redundant
for example the rejection rate and jitter rejection of a benchmark 2 is bloody phenomenal

for the PI though i concede there are not many good quality smps supplying the correct output voltage / rail that the PI needs ( as is in the case of all out PCs) simply because good SMPS manufacturers cant be bothered with a niche market with small volumes - they want huge volumes

modding a 400w seasonic smps just to drive a PI is stupidity

But if a seasonic with a 15mv noise floor fails to show up on the OP of a good pro soundcard or a dac (through an all out Music PC )
i assume the same figure on an smps will be clean enough to run a PI ( as clean as a linear supply )
Now all chargers are in a way an smps too
So all that is needed is find a good speced charger and you should be safe

riks when you come with the pi one day we will try to test these theories

BTW
the apple charger measures 10mv on a 5v line
good enough for any audio

If one is going to spend USD 300 to 400 to improve pi, one might as well get the Aries Mini for USD 499. I think it's way more convenient. It has a great app. It has a built in dac also. Also has digital out if one wants to use external dac

If I were to go pi I wouldn't think of spending more than USD 200 for the whole package

I totally agree with all points put forward by ali and prem

That's why suggesting terdak PSU which costs only 44 USD. Spending beyond that its no point and one can buy ready built streamer

In my case I will be frank. I did not know nothing about music pc, how It can be used as a streamer or a server or a renderer

After I got my dac, I was looking for a pc to play music from as I was tired borrowing brothers laptop

Meanwhile my cousin ordered this RPI, and I Thought to give it a try and started reading things.

So not saying RPI is bad in any way but even what prem says is also true about spending more then needed

@ Prem, the aries has a SMPS or a LPS? Because like uptone Regen all say for best performance you need to power it with LPS

Are there three-pin chip regulators like the LM317/337 which can provide the 2+ Ampere current needed for applications like RPi?

I understand the LT1038 could be an option but the product is now obsolete. So are there alternatives?

Rikhav, the Aries is smps. Additional LPS from them is USD 200. Additional 1TB built in SSD is approx USD 400

Are there three-pin chip regulators like the LM317/337 which can provide the 2+ Ampere current needed for applications like RPi?

I understand the LT1038 could be an option but the product is now obsolete. So are there alternatives?

LM338T. But I am not sure of the audiophile pedigree :):)

I used an LPs with it earlier and it was OK in terms of improvement in sq.

LM338T regulated psu kit
Later moved to Apple iPad charger / Samsung note charger for pi

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back