DIY Ribbon Speaker

turgid

Hi all,

Made a ribbon speaker with some Neos and household aluminium foil.

Made a resistor out of a pencil to act as load to the amplifer coz I could get only about 0.017 Ohms of resistance from the actual speaker.

As obvious, the pencil burnt down. But god there was some lovely sound :) A pic. I used the lid and body of candy box for the frame.

Next up, I am planning to use a step down trafo for impedance matching and also trim the aluminium foil to increase efficiency.

Cheers
~A

Attachments

• 10476459_654343951307230_1871689530932481664_n.jpg
    10476459_654343951307230_1871689530932481664_n.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 104
hahaha! Thank you sir.

This is my second speaker. The first one was an ESL and I have detailed my build in the DIY section of this forum. It had more unaccountable factors. I spent 8 months reading on the ESL and 3 weeks building it. Unfortunately it broke down in 2 mins after charge up. The insulation and work have to be as perfect as possible, best done by machines.
Besides the diaphragm breakdown that can happen anytime.

Also the trafos for ESLs are expensive and a rarity.

Cheers,
A~

Please, Turgid, Big Pics! This is amazing stuff that you are doing: we want to get a good view :)

Sir, I dont have any pics at the moment except from the same angle. Please spare me some time. I need to trim the aluminium foil and try with the trafo. I will post them as soon as I can.

Many thanks,
~A

Please do. Of course, detail would be nice, but even phone pics (actually some phones take good pics) will do.

(Calling me 'Sir' makes me feel even older than I am, so not needed, and as I believe in respecting accomplishments rather than numbers, probably I should be calling you sir! :lol:. I don't know your age, or if you have a career already: if you are young, then I'm sure you have great things ahead of you in engineering, maybe audio engineering. :thumbsup: )

Thanks thad for your gracious post.

Turgid - this is the 2nd project on this forum from you which treads a new path in innovation.

Agree with thad and wish you good luck !

Next time you do something like this please take a small video and upload on you tube - not to check audio quality but to see innovation in action.

Ofcourse.. Safety first please.

Regards
Mpw

Videos are particular good when experiments do end up with a meltdown. The grandchildren will enjoy!

Of course, wishing it doesn't happen...

Please do. Of course, detail would be nice, but even phone pics (actually some phones take good pics) will do.

(Calling me 'Sir' makes me feel even older than I am, so not needed, and as I believe in respecting accomplishments rather than numbers, probably I should be calling you sir! :lol:. I don't know your age, or if you have a career already: if you are young, then I'm sure you have great things ahead of you in engineering, maybe audio engineering. :thumbsup: )

Mr Thad :rolleyes: ,

Thanks for your flattering comments but I don't deserve any bit of it.

As for my age, I will be 25 years of age coming Thursday :eek:

I have trimmed the aluminium foil and arranged the magnets closer to each other, which will definitely make it much more efficient, else the amp is running on full wattage and pencil resistor dont last long.

P.S> (some extra info) That pic is taken with a Gionee Elife E7, that has one of the best cameras in the market. A 1/2.33 inch sensor, 16MP riding on F/2.0 largan Lens. That levels with the sensor size in the Sony Z1,Z2 but the Sonys have higher resolution(and superb lens) and better video capabilities.

Thanks thad for your gracious post.

Turgid - this is the 2nd project on this forum from you which treads a new path in innovation.

Agree with thad and wish you good luck !

Next time you do something like this please take a small video and upload on you tube - not to check audio quality but to see innovation in action.

Ofcourse.. Safety first please.

Regards
Mpw

Hi Sir,

If there is anything I learnt form my last project it was the need to document your builds :lol: . Hence good news - I have taken a video of this ribbon in action. But the fan was on which persuades you to misjudge audio quality besides the fact that its 47 MB in size. :indifferent14:

If anyone is good with editing out background noise in videos, I am more than willing to dropbox the link. ;)

Many thanks,
~A

Neos I got from E-bay - N42. Very expensive! The dimensions are 10cm by 2cm. The SPL out of a 65Wpc amp is very less with these dimensions.
Be careful they provide very less load to the amp.

I am looking to perfect the design soon.

diyaudiocart.com looks yummy :)

Hopefully when i head down for eid to Cochin, I will buy some stuff of them. It is owned by user Bibin3210 yes? Any discount for HFV users? :p

Regards,
~A

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back