DIY Rubanoide Improvised

turgid

Hi there,

My attempt at a slightly improvised/worse rubanoide design . Playing full range for fun.

The horizontal dispersion is unbelievable ... it sound very similar on and off axis ..very even across the room..while the vertical dispersion is not good. There is a fall in SPL after 11 KHz. Its recorded with my phone so the mic is cutting down on the spatial qualities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoOkLsnp4eg

Hi thank you .. i will be working more on this if I don't fancy something else and leave it half way. Some immature impressions :

HF roll off - I did some analysis to examine the roll-off after 12 Khz and it is the voice coil being quite heavy. Will try with thinner VC. Another reason is the unconstrained movement of the paper from the low frequency notes. I will probably add a capacitor to filter it out.

Sound : the field is quite illusive.. its sounds so huge as in fills the room better than some of my poor DML attempts. I am saying this because space of notes is from the high frequencies yet these dont extend all that much but give a very wide image to the sound. Very good clarity.

Last edited:
Turgid,
I want to try Rubanoid design.

Could you explain little more with sketches on the basic concept in DIY way please!
Thanks a lot.

Back