DIY - SMD soldering SOIC LME49990 into adapter

omishra

I found many people wondering how to solder those tiny SMD chips on to adapter. Even some of FM ruined it during the process. I thought just to share this knowledge with everyone.

Here is how I do it.

1. Hold the chip using some clip onto PCB. I used hair clip of my wife. Even paper binder clip could be used. First apply good amount of solder flux on PCB and IC. Keep the dot matched with marking on PCB. All pins are touching to PCB pads, in contact and no pin is lifted up.

image934y.jpg

Take little solder material on tip of Soldering rod and touch the tip to PCB pad where IC pin is seated. Don't touch IC pin. Solder material just flows grabbing contact with IC pin. Do it for diagonal pins first and then repeat this soldering process for remaining pins.

It takes <2sec for each pin. Just count 1& 2& for holding Soldering rod's tip on adapter's PCB pad.

image935s.jpg

example - paper binder clip
    binder-clip.jpg

2. Soldering is done
    image936.jpg

3. Put adapters pins into IC socket of DIP8.

image937.jpg

match the upside of adapter (with soldered ICs) with proper markings showing up. This is important as this could ruin whole purpose and could mismatch all pins.

Top view -
    image938m.jpg

4. Below, success repeated multiple time. :)

image939.jpg

There are 2 chips into above adapter, one from top where you see rectangle marked and another at bottom where there is no marking. Observe picture 1 and 2 in my post.

thats a really nice idea!i never thought of clamping it down,that too with something as easily available as a hairclip.
Also,what flux did you use?the liquid that you apply like a nail polish or a flux pen or gel-like flux?
All i could lay my hands on is a rather nasty yellow coloured flux thay sell in those shoe polish like tins.leave a lot of residue,bad smell and ruins solder bits too.

Also,what flux did you use?the liquid that you apply like a nail polish or a flux pen or gel-like flux?
All i could lay my hands on is a rather nasty yellow coloured flux thay sell in those shoe polish like tins.leave a lot of residue,bad smell and ruins solder bits too.
I use soldering flux which looks like white petroleum gel but smell very bad. It comes in white plastic enclosure like Vicks small pack, cost Rs 15/-. It could removed with dry cotton cloth and subsequent cleaning bath with IPO and little scrubbing with old baby toothbrush.

That's some neat micro soldering. Pic 2 looks like factory soldered.
'Nerves of steel. Muscles of iron' :)
Regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back