Do dents in speaker cones make a difference ?

kane

Hello everyone,

I had a question of speakers and dents in the cones.

I have often seen speakers with cones dented mostly old speakers but they sounded alright to my in-experienced ears.

My question is does it really matter or is it specific to Tweeter, midrange that are more affected compared to say the woofers.

Often seeing this makes a buyer vary of their purchase and some light on this subject would help us.

This is what i am talking o, here's an image sample.

speaker.jpg

It just an eye soar IMHO. One trick is to apply cellophane tape and try to pull it out. Works most of the time.

However prospective buyers are wary of pushed in dust cap.

This is what i felt that it doesn't make a difference, but our mind is somehow tuned to seeing that its pushed in means it could be a problem. yes @tuff eye sore it is and for every nuance we hear in the sound we may tend to blame it for that.

The problem maybe if its kept in a prolonged crumpled state could it induce tear at those folds ?

My daughter had punched both the woofers and visible more bad that above photo but no difference in sound

Hello everyone,

I had a question of speakers and dents in the cones.

I have often seen speakers with cones dented mostly old speakers but they sounded alright to my in-experienced ears.

My question is does it really matter or is it specific to Tweeter, midrange that are more affected compared to say the woofers.

Often seeing this makes a buyer vary of their purchase and some light on this subject would help us.

This is what i am talking o, here's an image sample.

View attachment 26506

Hi

Honestly as long as there is cone movement, there should not be any issue with the sound.....the dust cap issue can be resolved....Youtube has videos on how to get this sorted.....my younger brother did it with fine needles and got the dustcap back to normal....

Buyers yes are skeptical about such speaker conditions and hence it is advisable if purchasing pre owned stuff be it speakers or amps or avrs...ensure you hear the same at least minimum for 15 to 20 mins.....use your own music songs as reference.....before buying...do your homework on the specs of product....you may expect a speaker to provide the low bass at a certain freq but it cannot as it is not designed to handle that frequency.....

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back