Do i require step down converter & stabilzer for 48 inches LED TV bought from USA

vijibr

I just bought a 48 inches Sony LED smart TV (KDL48W600b) from US and i need your help in setting up the TV for use in Bangalore.

Do I need both the step down converter and the voltage stabilizer for this TV?
If yes, kindly suggest the step down converter model.

Or do I need just a stabilizer for this TV? If yes, which model goes fine with this TV as I have seen in some thread that depending on the TV size, the stabilizer also differs. Please advise..

I am also planning to use a surge protector.
The setup that i am thinking is something like this.
Power outlet -> Voltage Stabilizer -> Surge Protector -> Step down converter -> TV

Power outlet -> Voltage Stabilizer -> Surge Protector -> Blu Ray player

Yes, you need step down transformer for at least 200W. US operated at 110V and 50Hz instead 220V 60Hz of India.

Rather than going for Stabilizer and step down transformer separately, I would recommend going for a custom 250-500VA Servo step down stabilizer for better performance.

I just bought a 48 inches Sony LED smart TV (KDL48W600b) from US and i need your help in setting up the TV for use in Bangalore.

Or do I need just a stabilizer for this TV? If yes, which model goes fine with this TV as I have seen in some thread that depending on the TV size, the stabilizer also differs. Please advise..

Power outlet -> Voltage Stabilizer -> Surge Protector -> Step down converter -> TV

Find out the operating voltage of the TV's from the manual.... Some TV operate from 100 V - 250V... If you TV is specified like this, then i believe you don't need any step down transformer...

Else look at he back section of the TV if they have mentioned the operating voltage & update here before you connect them.....

Most electronic gadgets support both 100V - 250V these days (at least all the routers, shavers, PSUs, etc. I've bought on Amazon.com) so check for that in the instruction manual.

Yes, you need step down transformer for at least 200W. US operated at 110V and 50Hz instead 220V 60Hz of India.

Rather than going for Stabilizer and step down transformer separately, I would recommend going for a custom 250-500VA Servo step down stabilizer for better performance.
US is 110-120V @ 60Hz. Sources vary as to the nominal voltage, but definitely 60Hz.

Check the label on the back of the TV to be sure of what it will handle.

Steve

you need step down transformer for at least 200W. US operated at 110V and 50Hz instead 220V 60Hz of India.
bc5rW

Wow. If you don't know what you're talking about then don't give advice!!

POWER IN THE US IS DISTRIBUTED AT 60Hz

Only in special cases will you see something other than 60Hz, and residential power isn't one of them.

For the layperson homes in the US receive their power in a +, -, and neutral configuration. Combine + or - and neutral and you get 110V. Combine + and - and you get 220V.

But it's ALL 60Hz

Just look at the sticker or molded plastic equivalent, which is required for all electrical devices in the US, on the back of the TV to determine power requirements and what, if anything, you need.

For what it is worth, I took my LG TV from India to the US and it has been running fine for the last several yeara. Yes I know, no one does this :)

To OP, you need to at least look at the specs before posting.. That will tell you if your TV needs a voltage converter or not. That is really straight forward. Sorry, not trying to be rude.. Just that this is too basic.

This is what I found on the TV power adapter.
The adapter shows that the voltage rating is 110 volts - 240 v at frequency 50/60 hz.
With this i feel that i do not need any step down transformer.
Still, i feel it would be better to use a voltage stabilizer.
Please suggest..

Attachments

• IMG_20141215_213408.jpg
    IMG_20141215_213408.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 93
You don't need a step down transformer. You may need a stabilizer depending on the quality of power in your city...in Mumbai I've never used a stabilizer

The adapter shows that the voltage rating is 110 volts - 240 v at frequency 50/60 hz.
Please suggest..

Easy man, Plug it - that power supply wihtout conneting to the TV) in the wall and measure the voltage output.
It should be 19.5 (or slightly higher like 20-21 cos its 19.5 under load) and you're fine.
That supply is a switching supply, it will be fine, you dont need a stabiliser either.
Cool.
Srinath.

Dear vijibr

I would also like to buy the same TV to India. Can you please guide me if it's okay.

Is your TV working.. If yes what steps did u take.. Did u use step-up transformer or stabiliser or any set top box like dish TV.

Please suggest me so that I can make a decision.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

--Karthik.

Dear vijibr

I would also like to buy the same TV to India. Can you please guide me if it's okay.

Is your TV working.. If yes what steps did u take.. Did u use step-up transformer or stabiliser or any set top box like dish TV.

Please suggest me so that I can make a decision.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

--Karthik.

Please suggest..

If this is the adaptor which powering the TV, you dont need any converter. You can safely plug it to 240V line. With this type of power suply, you dont need any surge or spike protector all these are built in. Stay away from commercial voltage stabilisers. Those are a total waste of money and sometimes a fatal threat to fast switching SMPS of this type.

I am planning to import XBR-65X900E TV from US to India. Their Power Specs says - AC 110-240V, 50/60Hz (USA / Canada AC 120V, 60Hz) DC 24V.
I don't think I will need Step down stablizer . Isn't it ?

Do we need a converter for Sony Bravia XBR-60X830F TV imported from USA in India?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 4dcc979c-d386-4574-a1fe-583db9d8d79b.jpg
    4dcc979c-d386-4574-a1fe-583db9d8d79b.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 11
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back