DO you belive in THX certification and its products?

santosh4

DO you belive in THX certification and its products? will THX certified products really perform better???

I believe in THX certification and that they will work well in a chain which includes other THX certified products. I own only one THX certified product - Rotel RB985 5-channel power block but apart from the fact that it is a quality product and does its job well, I can't make out much of a difference.

Just FYI, I was reading on another forum that they have a very stringent process for certification and inside information is that no product has ever been certified in their first attempt.

Like to know why what makes you ask the question:). Did you read otherwise?

DO you belive in THX certification and its products? will THX certified products really perform better???

Sir,
I beleive that not all pieces of a model are not certified on through examination . Only one piece of a model will be given for that if that model meets all specification and standards THX certificate will be issued . It cannot be guarenteed that each piece of same model are produced with the same standard.

Regards

Also, it is optional for a product to apply for THX certification and the manufacturer has to pay a fee to Lucasfilm (THX's parent company) for every product sold. For Eg: on an AVR, it could be around 50$ for every AVR sold. This cost is passed on to the customer.

THX will check if the product is upto its standardization.But that product may perform differently in certain cases.
eg Onkyos 1st Htib (990) is THX certified ,but its revs are not good ,perhaps due to not good spk.

Thank you all for the reply,
This question is haunting me since, If you look at Denon 1910 its not THX certified but Onkyo is certified by THX. If you look at the reviewes Denon performs better so which one would you choose given an option.

Even BOSE do not belive in these certification, so confused now :-(

Though I haven't used a THX certified product yet, I can say one thing: the movies made in THX certified studios have a unique sound clarity and superior picture quality. I remember watching "Minority Report" in a very average theatre. What an experience it was! Scenes like Tom Cruise traveling by the car below the bridge when he evades and the fight between Colin Farell and Cruise were really exciting, stunning and live - I felt I were among them and not in a theater. :)
So was Star Wars Ep II - the sound had the perfect proportion of bass, surround and treble. Simply mind blowing !
I think the THX Certification does make a meaning and it's not just a gimmick. It would be better we have a demo on the system by playing some movies before choosing one.

Last edited:
Santosh, like I mentioned above, the certification is not mandatory but some kind of an assurance to the buyer that the specs mentioned are tested at Lucasfilms' labs and true. THX does certification on products across the range, so really no point comparing a THX and a non THX product. I am not sure what reviews you read, but to compare a Denon 1910, you need to compare it with an Onkyo of 600 series and above (folks - correct me if I am wrong).

BOSE does not need any certification, just the name itself sells. Since you are new in the forum and probably to the hobby too, let me tell you that Bose is not very highly regarded in HFV and similar forums. There are brands/products which can beat a Bose at half the price. But the Bose speakers of yesteryears were really good. Personally, I have heard an old 301 (reflecting speaker) at my cousin's place and was really impressed. But the things they sell today are first over-priced and hyped and secondly nothing great SQ wise.

So you mean to say, Denon is better even though it does not reach the THX benchmark?? I mean 1910 and so its better to go for 608.

So you mean to say, Denon is better even though it does not reach the THX benchmark?? I mean 1910 and so its better to go for 608.
No Santosh, I did not say any such thing:). I was only telling you to compare apples with apples. Also, you should have an audition of both the AVRs before you decide. I have never owned an Onkyo or a Denon, but from what I gather from the experience of forum members is that Onkyo is good for movies and packs a punch while Denon is an allrounder and pretty good for music as well.

THX is assurance & manufacturer has to pay extra for it & ultimately end user pays more.
Denon has good reputation in Ht products,they sound good & so why do they need ant certification?

If that is the case, Denon cost is almost same as Onkyo(with THX). So U mean end user is paying more for Denon even though its not certified.

Well the price will always differ from one to other.
Denon are 100yr old & Onkyo 61yr.
Denon are well accepted than Onkyo in many countries.
So price of Denon can be high.
Secondly it depends on features,components used inside.
Denon sounds better than Onkyo with music too.

So price can very.

Denon are 100yr old & Onkyo 61yr.

Age vs quality in pricing..

Hindustan motor was established in 1942

Lamborghini in 1963

New Bugatti in 1998

So Hindfustan Ambessador must be better and expensive than Lambo and Bugatti right??

Companies from same country can be compared,isnt it?

Not really - even if you look at the Japanese Auto majors, Toyota is miles ahead of other like Suzuki, Mazda etc. Time has little to do with success in competitive market

Coming back to the point, THX certification doesnt seem to mean much - I remember seeing some computer speaker packages with THX certifications. Thats hardly a way for building credibility in high quality audio equipment. The recent Lexicon/Oppo issue didnt help much either

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back