Do you center your bookshelves on the stand?

sachinchavan 15865

That is what I used to do all this while. Then I wondered if it was right? Well, I do have stands designed specifically for the speakers. But even then? Because the weight distribution of the speakers isn’t uniform. My speakers (and I’d imagine most speakers, if not all) have higher weight towards the front (where the drivers are) than the back. So wouldn’t a proper (weight balanced) positioning need to place the speaker towards the front of the plate of the stand?

I tried this and I feel the vibration has reduced. But then I have no objective way of measuring it. Hence checking what others think/have experienced about this. Is this thinking sound, or there’s an opposite reasoning, or it doesn’t matter at all?

That is what I used to do all this while. Then I wondered if it was right? Well, I do have stands designed specifically for the speakers. But even then? Because the weight distribution of the speakers isn’t uniform. My speakers (and I’d imagine most speakers, if not all) have higher weight towards the front (where the drivers are) than the back. So wouldn’t a proper (weight balanced) positioning need to place the speaker towards the front of the plate of the stand?

I tried this and I feel the vibration has reduced. But then I have no objective way of measuring it. Hence checking what others think/have experienced about this. Is this thinking sound, or there’s an opposite reasoning, or it doesn’t matter at all?

The results if you have found are positive would maybe due to the speaker being positioned a few mm forward rather the interaction between the stand and speaker weight balance. You could the speakers again in the center of the stand and move stands forward by the same distance and see. Or even a minor extra tilt on the front of the stand may give you the same result.

Also not sure what vibration are you trying to reduce.

As long as the speakers are not at a risk of toppling over, you are good.

Drilling further, when lifting the speaker you would know where the center of gravity is and if that is placed well within the confines of the speaker stand, preferably over the center column of the stand, the speaker should be safe, the stand would do its job well (absorption if sand filled in column), etc.

MaSh

The results if you have found are positive would maybe due to the speaker being positioned a few mm forward rather the interaction between the stand and speaker weight balance. You could the speakers again in the center of the stand and move stands forward by the same distance and see. Or even a minor extra tilt on the front of the stand may give you the same result.
That wasn’t the case. When I moved the speakers wrt the stands, I ensured the distance between speakers and the front wall remained constant.

As long as the speakers are not at a risk of toppling over, you are good.
Lol. Yes, of course. I didn’t go overboard, nor did the speakers. 😄

Update:

After listening to it over a day in this new postion, I realised the sound was less sweet than usual. So moved back to original (centered) position. Not much gained from the experiment. Shall just stick to the convention.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back