Do you want to cut the cord?

ISO

I know this thread is in wrong section but I want to get opinions from cable and DTH users.

Friends, I took the decision to cut chord and go for on-line ad-free entertainment. My current setup is amazon fire stick 4K, apple TV and laptop (if needed) interfaced to AVR that connect to Sony TV. Reason as bellow...

1. After Trai rule update, number of channels, Hathway use to provide was reduced drastically.
2. I was not allowed to select individual channels I want. I was watching only few channels and paying for those I don't watch at all.
3. Trai is conveniently silent on number of ads and duration of the ads. I was simply got fed up due to bombardment of the ads.
4. Movie channels cycle same movies and hardly there are new movies.
5. Hathway cable removed dolby sound from the HD movie channels.

After cutting chord, I continue to watch my favorite serials on Zee5 and Voot apps on fire-stick but albeit 24 hours late (I don't mind this at all).
Big plus is video on demand. There are number of apps for the same. I can now watch movies, that I like, in proper surround sound.

Only issue is live events (mainly sports), which still need a DTH or cable connection
Not always. If you have hotstar and SonyLiv subscription, most of the live events are covered.

Now about chord cutting. my experience is - Yes, if you or your better half is only expected audience at home, you can
If you have elder parents or grand parents at home - they may not be comfortable in moving to streaming services
If you have kids, better not to open streaming services to them, limit them to TV channels
If the TV at your place runs 24x7 or if you use a connection at work/public place, cable is a better option

Not always. If you have hotstar and SonyLiv subscription, most of the live events are covered.

With a limitation though. You cannot record or pause a live match on Hotstar and then come back and watch from that point (play catch up). You can do so in Tata Sky Plus. For example I used to put the Ind-NZ Test match on recording on Tata Sky and then after I got up around 6 start watching from ball one (bowled at 4 am) - kind of delayed live. I could fast forward through the ads and non-happening parts and catch up live by the lunch time was over.

Sports is still streamed at a low frame rate per second (fps) globally. It may take a few years for streaming to change to 60fps. Cable and DTH are already at 60fps. So you dont see stuttering. Whereas even with a high speed connection, despite seeing movies from Netflix with high clarity, I never get Hotstar or streaming sports to give feed without stutter when action is happening. Their resolution is good, so when not much movement is happening, like when a footballer is shown up close, the detail is very good. But as soon as movement starts it is sub standard.

Trai is conveniently silent on number of ads and duration of the ads. I was simply got fed up due to bombardment of the ads.
It is only a matter of time before the ads pop up on streaming content on free or lower tier subsciptions, hotstar already have ad breaks (I have a VIP subscription).

One major problem that we create watching online is that beforehand when we subscribed to channels via dth etc., a portion of the subscription amount used to go to the actual content producer.
Now with the advent of online viewership, we are killing the very cow that gives us milk, if you guys don't mind the analogy. God only knows what part of ad revenue actually goes to the content producer while watching online content! Trust me quality is going to go way to the bottom!

One major problem that we create watching online is that beforehand when we subscribed to channels via dth etc., a portion of the subscription amount used to go to the actual content producer.
Now with the advent of online viewership, we are killing the very cow that gives us milk, if you guys don't mind the analogy. God only knows what part of ad revenue actually goes to the content producer while watching online content! Trust me quality is going to go way to the bottom!
Or is it the otherway? What I heard is the prime is the one who pays heavily to get movie rights in India

With a limitation though. You cannot record or pause a live match on Hotstar and then come back and watch from that point (play catch up). You can do so in Tata Sky Plus. For example I used to put the Ind-NZ Test match on recording on Tata Sky and then after I got up around 6 start watching from ball one (bowled at 4 am) - kind of delayed live. I could fast forward through the ads and non-happening parts and catch up live by the lunch time was over.
I have not thought about it or researched, but wont adding a DVR resolve your issue?

I have not thought about it or researched, but wont adding a DVR resolve your issue?

Firstly, not sure if DVR records and plays back (previous segment) at same time. Even if it does it’d be cumbersome.

Or is it the otherway? What I heard is the prime is the one who pays heavily to get movie rights in India

+1
Also economic price of Amazon prime video will curb piracy to certain extend.
My experience of prime video is fantastic. Great video quality and proper surround sound.

I remember B&W TV days. Quality of the programs were excellent that to with meager ad revenue. Now a days except few everything is garbage. Better let it die.

Haven't recharged my videocon d2h since a year, with a fire tv stick and hotstar subscription ; nobody in the house seems to be missing it.

But as far as the content quality goes its just a Smart Idiot Box still...

Let me be brutal here. How many of us watch Doordarshan here including me? Almost none I guess. The quality if programming is still good, is it not? Not much ad or other pulls isn't it?

Now online content or whatever you want to call it is mostly CRAP.
1) Broadly outright silly You tubers content. Maybe cars mobiles etc. I am also guilty.
2) Social media crap. Tik tok, Facebook etc.
3) Silly broahua on silly things.
4) crappy music (since consumption is mobile music is also tailored to suit that)

Cutting the cord makes sure we encourage the above. Not that DTH is much better mind you. :)

Hi all,
I am using 2 units of Apple TV 4, 1 Jio STB and 1 fire stick at my home.
Myself stopped 3 connections of TS for almost 2 years and saved lot of money
Presently theses streaming services has improved a lot comparing to prevoius 2 years and almost all the content is available as of DTH service except audio feeds 5.1 or 7.1

Let me be brutal here. How many of us watch Doordarshan here including me? Almost none I guess. The quality if programming is still good, is it not? Not much ad or other pulls isn't it?

Now online content or whatever you want to call it is mostly CRAP.
1) Broadly outright silly You tubers content. Maybe cars mobiles etc. I am also guilty.
2) Social media crap. Tik tok, Facebook etc.
3) Silly broahua on silly things.
4) crappy music (since consumption is mobile music is also tailored to suit that)

Cutting the cord makes sure we encourage the above. Not that DTH is much better mind you. :)

Add to it the daily vlogs of youtubers showing their daily chores, its silly to me , but they have millions of followers. Either you get quality or you get quantity. Youtube always focussed on quantity, even after doordardarshan days all tv focussed on quantity so quality is lost but who cares, people get what they want.

Mods I suggest the thread title be amended to 'Do you want to cut the cable tv/dth cord' ? as it is instantaneously misleading. My mind raced straight away to umbilical cords and midwifery! English is a funny language..Smh

I have cut cord and only using firestick for music, movies and sports. For movies its been great because on dth i dint watch movies because of movie schedule and ads whereas on firestick i can watch content whenever i want and that too in superb aurround sound. Music experience has also been good. Now coming to my favourite content i.e. football. Hotstar is such a disappointment in this regard due to low frame rate. Dth had smooth movement. Still i have adapted to the hotstar. Also with hotstar i can watch sports on any smart tv and even on the go with one subscription only.

I have cut cord and only using firestick for music, movies and sports. For movies its been great because on dth i dint watch movies because of movie schedule and ads whereas on firestick i can watch content whenever i want and that too in superb aurround sound. Music experience has also been good. Now coming to my favourite content i.e. football. Hotstar is such a disappointment in this regard due to low frame rate. Dth had smooth movement. Still i have adapted to the hotstar. Also with hotstar i can watch sports on any smart tv and even on the go with one subscription only.

+1

I describe movie watching experience on prime as gentle and silent. Extremely clear dialog delivery on my Klipsch center speaker enables me to keep overall volume less. That males it less disturbing to other members of my family and neighbors esp. at night. Very satisfying.

But all is not well. Surround rear channels are very weak.

Mods I suggest the thread title be amended to 'Do you want to cut the cable tv/dth cord' ? as it is instantaneously misleading. My mind raced straight away to umbilical cords and midwifery! English is a funny language..Smh
"Cut the cord" is standard speak these days for disconnecting cable/DTH :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back