Does adding a Power Amp will make difference ?

rajivaryan1984

Hi Gurus,

I have a stereo setup of Parasound P6 as an Integrated amp annd Focal Arial 826. I just wanted to know if adding a power amp like Parasound A21+ or Parasound Halo A23 or Parasound A23+ will make any difference.

Hi Gurus,

I have a stereo setup of Parasound P6 as an Integrated amp annd Focal Arial 826. I just wanted to know if adding a power amp like Parasound A21+ or Parasound Halo A23 or Parasound A23+ will make any difference.

Isn't the P6 a preamplifier and dac? what amplifer are you current using with the P6 to power the focal aria's?

Hi Gurus,

I would recommend to start with the halo A21 as a minimum. The P6 should be their preamp with dac as @Phew rightly mentioned.

Isn't
Isn't the P6 a preamplifier and dac? what amplifer are you current using with the P6 to power the focal aria's?
Not using any amp
the P6 a preamplifier and dac? what amplifer are you current using with the P6 to power the focalI am

I would recommend to start with the halo A21 as a minimum. The P6 should be their preamp with dac as @Phew rightly mentioned.
But A21 is a discontinued model...

If there is no amplifier then how are you playing music? To tell whether or not the addition of Parasound a21+ or Parasound Halo A23 or Parasound A23+ will make any difference we first would need to know what your setup is.

Hi Gurus,

Are you sure about the model number? P6 is a preamp and not an integrated amplifier. https://parasound.com/p6.php

Do let us know your setup, that would help members give you advice on whether a power amp helps or not.

Theoretically, yes a Pre + Power amp combination is better than an integrated amp, however it depends on what your current setup is and what are you planning to get.

MaSh

Apologies sincere apologies yes currently the Poweramp which is being used in my setup is this - https://www.audiocontrol.com/home-audio/power-amplifiers/pantages-g4/

My AVR Denon 6700 is connected to the Power amp above along with Parasound P6. When I am watching movies than I am using the HT bypass feature of P6 and while listening to stereo I use P6.

Now I am thinking to make the AVR and Pre Amp separate. So will it be great to add a separate power amp to P6 or rather go with an integrated amp ? Kindly recommend.

But A21 is a discontinued model...

Is it something that you find lacking with the current setup or power amplifier or is it just the urge to probably try something new?

If space is an issue or you simply want to reduce the cable clutter or you wish to keep the components in the chain to the minimum an integrated will serve you fine, if one really really needs the extra power or are seeking that slight improvemment in sound over the IA and willing to pay the premium then Pre+power is the way to go.

Separates sound better than integrated = YES
Is the premium justified with improvement in sound? Completely upto the individual

Apologies sincere apologies yes currently the Poweramp which is being used in my setup is this - https://www.audiocontrol.com/home-audio/power-amplifiers/pantages-g4/

My AVR Denon 6700 is connected to the Power amp above along with Parasound P6. When I am watching movies than I am using the HT bypass feature of P6 and while listening to stereo I use P6.

Now I am thinking to make the AVR and Pre Amp separate. So will it be great to add a separate power amp to P6 or rather go with an integrated amp ? Kindly recommend.
Your Audiocontrol poweramp is absolutely fine in stereo mode. Although good as it is, but it does have bridging options of some channels. See if you can bridge 4 channels to 2 out of the 5, to know if it makes a difference.

Personally, just the 2 channels being driven out of 5 for stereo with your 826 is fine.

I understand that the chain being used for your HT is AVR pre - P6 - Pantages G4.

IMO if the same chain is being used for stereo too then you are likely to gain more using a dedicated source ( a good streamer and a dac) than getting a power amp right away. Looking at Pantages specs it seems capable enough to do justice to Aria, not sure on the sound signature side as I never heard one.

So this would result in 2 chains switchable via the same preamp
Stereo : Streamer - > DAC - > P6 - > Pantages G4
Ht: 6700 - P6 bypass - Pantages G4

Adding a power amplifier like the Parasound A21+, Parasound Halo A23, or Parasound A23+ can make a difference in your stereo setup, depending on the design of the integrated amplifier and the type of speakers you are using.

Integrated amplifiers typically have a built-in power amplifier section and preamp section. The preamp section takes the line-level signal from the source components, such as a CD player or a turntable, and amplifies it to a level that the power amp can use. The power amplifier then amplifies the signal further and sends it to the speakers.

Hi Gurus,

After researching your current setup, it looks like It will definitely make a difference but what is it with your current system that you do not like?

I understand that the chain being used for your HT is AVR pre - P6 - Pantages G4.

IMO if the same chain is being used for stereo too then you are likely to gain more using a dedicated source ( a good streamer and a dac) than getting a power amp right away. Looking at Pantages specs it seems capable enough to do justice to Aria, not sure on the sound signature side as I never heard one.

So this would result in 2 chains switchable via the same preamp
Stereo : Streamer - > DAC - > P6 - > Pantages G4
Ht: 6700 - P6 bypass - Pantages G4
I would go with flux 😀.

Unless the speakers are really a difficult load to run, a higher spec power amp might not be of noticeable gains. A dedicated source for 2 channel, instead of feeding the preamp outputs from AVR is where I would spend my money.

Many years back, I had a similar configuration with my entry level marantz AVR feeding a parasound halo integrated as a HT cum 2 channel setup. My speakers were the very effecient qacoustics concept 40's. In trying to improve the performance even further I add an external power amp, and it didn't do an iota of difference to my ears. So a better source instead of a better amp should be better.

I was thinking to replace Parasound P6 (Pre-amp) with an integrated amp which can drive my Focal Aria 826 as well as can offer HT Bypass. Any suggestions for a good Integrated amp ? I was thinking to go with Model 30 but cost is too high.

I was thinking to replace Parasound P6 (Pre-amp) with an integrated amp which can drive my Focal Aria 826 as well as can offer HT Bypass. Any suggestions for a good Integrated amp ? I was thinking to go with Model 30 but cost is too high.

And your budget is?

A power amp definitely makes a difference in your stereo setup . I was using a NAD integrated amp on my focal 906. Last week I added an O & B power amp to the setup . i felt more dynamics , 3d sound and also felt more deep bass . i would definitely suggest you to check on O&B amp they are worth every penny.

check out here

https://oandbco.com/

i will definitely post a review after some days

A power amp definitely makes a difference in your stereo setup . I was using a NAD integrated amp on my focal 906. Last week I added an O & B power amp to the setup . i felt more dynamics , 3d sound and also felt more deep bass . i would definitely suggest you to check on O&B amp they are worth every penny.

check out here

https://oandbco.com/

i will definitely post a review after some days
How much you paid brother and which model you picked up ?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back