Does cheap android tablets work?

haisaikat

Friends,
For some days I am thinking of buying a Android based tab for the following purpose

1. Control the foobar on my htpc over wifi using the foobar app or the web browser something that I have to do now by using another laptop.
2. Should serve as a handy tool for ligh internet work like chekcing emails and social networking sites over home wifi.
3. 3G support either in built or via dongle would be nice to have for those times when the need is on the move.
4. Power to play youtube videos (non HD) may be nice to have.
5. GSM Calling will be nice to have

I found the following typical cheap Made in China type tablets online and below are their features. If anyone has any prior experiance in owning or using low priced tablets please pour in your suggestions.

7" Google Android Tablet Netbook PC ePad MID MP3 MP4 | eBay
price is 3149
VIA8650 800MHz CPU.
Android 2.2 operating system.
RAM 256MB, 2GB flash memory.
7 inches high sensitive resistive touch screen, 800 x 480
Four direction g-sensor.
WiFi: IEEE 802.11b/g.
External 3G function.
Webcam: 1.3 MP
Built-in Battery: 7.4V/2600mAh
Support OFfice documents and PDF.
14mdz87.jpg

Another one for 4.5K but with powerful processor
Orkia 7" Android 4.0, Tablet PC Better than HCL me , Micromax Funbook, BSNL Tab | eBay

Features:

Product Type: Tablet PC
Screen Size: 7 inch
Operating System: Android 4.0 ice cream sandwich
Processor Type/CPU Type: ARM Cortex A8
CPU Manufacturer: AllWinner
CPU Speed/Processor Speed :1GHz - 1.5 GHz
RAM/ Technology: DDR3
RAM Memory: 512Mb DDR3
Hard Drive Capacity: 4GB
SD Card Expansion: Micro SD Memoey card Expandable up to 32GB
Keyboard Touch Screen:Touchpad Technology capacitive touchscreen

Additional Features/Functions:

HDMI 1080P, supports HDMI 1.4
G-Sensor: Multi-way- 4 directional
Audio: 3.5 mm headphone jack
Games :3D games
Software: Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, MSN, Android market, Skype, Google mail, Google maps, Quick office
Language English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Spanish, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Inonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romance, Russian

Battery & Power:

Battery Type 4000 mAh battery
Battery / Run Time(up to) Video: 8 hours, Wi-Fi: 6 hours;Surfing : 8 hours Standby: 80 hours
Power Device Type AC Adapter
Voltage Required 110V, 220V

3D :
Support 3 D movies play, and 3 D video TV output

$T2eC16dHJI!E9qSO9)YiBQSe,zHlWg~~60_12.JPG

They do work. Well, sometimes they don't. I have bought 3 of them so far. One was good, one turned out to be good after initial hiccups and the other one was a disappointment.

First one was a champ. It could download data over wireless faster than my primary computer on a wired connection. Regret selling that. Second one is being (ab)used by my son. It has a primary camera. First one that was delivered to me the camera had a problem from the day one. I sent it back immediately and got a replacement (new) as it was within 7 days. Third one was a total disappointment. The LCD had a problem since day one. I sent it back, and it came repaired. However, a vertical line appeared within a few days of use. Then another one in next few weeks and then another one after another few weeks. I didn't send it back again as I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note during that time and it eliminated the need for me to carry a tablet all the time. The tablet still lying useless with me.

A cheap tablet is a hit or miss, specially if it's a no-brand made-in-China one. Look for a made in Taiwan one. Taiwanese manufacturers have a better QA. The second one that my son is abusing (literally) is a Taiwan made and has taken some serious beating.

If you do buy these tables, test at least all hardware features the first day you receive them. Don't buy one unless they come with at least a six month warranty.

The one you linked is a fairly low configuration device. If you are willing to live with sluggish performance they will not disappoint you.

Oh yes, no GSM calling on these tablets. At least not on the one you linked.

thanks ranjeet, can you send me a link of any taiwanese tab online? also what was the original tab that you liked?

another question, for internet browsing like mine, what will be the minimum configuration that I have to look for if I have to avoid sluggish performance?

I found the following as well if importing is an option
Newegg.com - Iview 756TPC Cortex-A8 1GHz 7" 1GB Memory 4GB Flash Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) Tablet

Buy.com - LCD Capacitive Touch Screen 7 Inch Tablet PC - Android 4.0 - 8GB Storage w/ Expandable Micro SD Card Slot - Wifi - Webcam + White Leather Case

although Indian sites would be preferred as they are cheaper when considering shipping charges

I got a VeeDee D13 costing under 5k because the grandparents and the kids were fighting for one tab. Works quite good for its price. You cannot compare screen quality with the expensive tabs, and some larger games do not load, but it gets the work done for the kids - they like simple games as of now.

The supplier provides active support via email as well as upgrades on their forum at veedeedirect.com

I haven't tried it for checking emails or anything of that sort - the resolution is too bad for me after getting used to better tabs.

D13 does not have HDMI port. The D10 has. They are also going to release a GSM tab soon.

veedee d13 | eBay

I got a VeeDee D13 costing under 5k because the grandparents and the kids were fighting for one tab. Works quite good for its price. You cannot compare screen quality with the expensive tabs, and some larger games do not load, but it gets the work done for the kids - they like simple games as of now.

The supplier provides active support via email as well as upgrades on their forum at veedeedirect.com

I haven't tried it for checking emails or anything of that sort - the resolution is too bad for me after getting used to better tabs.

D13 does not have HDMI port. The D10 has. They are also going to release a GSM tab soon.

veedee d13 | eBay

How is the performance of this tab while opening websites? Also does it support USB keyboard if I prefer to bbuy a flip case with keyboard?

Among the one you linked, the one from Newegg is good. Are you in the US? How will you get it? If you run into a problem it won't be easy to send it back. Try buying in locally to avoid ending up with a unusable device. Just be sure to buy one with at least 6 months warranty.

If buying online from an international online retailer, I suggest buying a branded one. Viewsonic has the lowest prices among the branded ones, followed by Lenovo. The no-brand ones will work as good as a branded one (so long as the specifications are same/similar), but chances of failures are much higher in no-brand Chinese made ones.

Here is a Chinese made one that you should avoid. This one. Onda has a very poor quality control.

This should be good. The one my son is abusing is P72, and is solidly built.

Whatever you buy, its going to be frustrating if the touch screen is not responsive. So I would make that feature a priority.

--G0bble

Whatever you buy, its going to be frustrating if the touch screen is not responsive. So I would make that feature a priority.

--G0bble

Okay got your point so what model accroding to you has better touch (resistive vs capacitative...?), I found some sites offering 3 to 6 montsh email like flipkart and ebay so in that way I can spend max 6000.

Among the one you linked, the one from Newegg is good. Are you in the US? How will you get it? If you run into a problem it won't be easy to send it back. Try buying in locally to avoid ending up with a unusable device. Just be sure to buy one with at least 6 months warranty.

If buying online from an international online retailer, I suggest buying a branded one. Viewsonic has the lowest prices among the branded ones, followed by Lenovo. The no-brand ones will work as good as a branded one (so long as the specifications are same/similar), but chances of failures are much higher in no-brand Chinese made ones.

Here is a Chinese made one that you should avoid. This one. Onda has a very poor quality control.

This should be good. The one my son is abusing is P72, and is solidly built.

No I am based out of India, was checking if any friends return from US whether they can carry back, but for low cost tabs I now agree that buyin locally would be better for replacement purpose.

Guys, my advise buy and Kindle Fire (old model) or a Nook touch. I bought Kindle Fire on mother's day sale for $139. Its a refurbished model. Then I rooted it and removed Amazon's OS (Gingerbread) and installed custom ICS ROM and I have full featured tablet and great quality hardware. Yeah i don't have 3G/Bluetooth/Camera but I don't really need it. I have a Android Phone with 3G connection and I use my phone Wifi hotspot for internet connection for my tablet while traveling. If you still need it , try the new tablets amazon released couple of days back. You can't use these tablets as it is since they are tightly coupled with Amazon's eco system and most of the features are not available in India. You can't even access Google Play and Amazon app store doesn't work in India. So if you are buying you need to root it and install custom ROM.

Guys, my advise buy and Kindle Fire (old model) or a Nook touch. I bought Kindle Fire on mother's day sale for $139. Its a refurbished model. Then I rooted it and removed Amazon's OS (Gingerbread) and installed custom ICS ROM and I have full featured tablet and great quality hardware. Yeah i don't have 3G/Bluetooth/Camera but I don't really need it. I have a Android Phone with 3G connection and I use my phone Wifi hotspot for internet connection for my tablet while traveling. If you still need it , try the new tablets amazon released couple of days back. You can't use these tablets as it is since they are tightly coupled with Amazon's eco system and most of the features are not available in India. You can't even access Google Play and Amazon app store doesn't work in India. So if you are buying you need to root it and install custom ROM.

For me wifi and web cam are required. As per your advice will not go for Amazon tablets, in think in 6K range I can only get Micromax funbook as the only branded tab. Need some feedbacks

My wife was given an HCL Me tab. I don't think it even qualifies as "cheap" within the meaning of this thread. It has been nothing but trouble. It has been back to HCL to get the phone-sim hardware working, it has to be hacked to get Google Play (Market) and other google stuff such as Maps, and now it has become unbootable. It is awaiting the attention of an Android expert. Wife has rather given up on it, and I don't have the enthusiasm for Android digging.

How is the performance of this tab while opening websites? Also does it support USB keyboard if I prefer to bbuy a flip case with keyboard?

I haven't tried websites with it. I've only used Google Play to download games, and speed is not a problem.

I'm not too sure about keyboard - you can ask Devesh on the veedee forums. There is a sub-forum for D13.

Thanks Keith, have you used one of these before? Any feedbacks?
My wife bought the Xtab A10 Plus last month. It's used by her mostly for casual browsing/mail and it's used by my daughter for games and math apps [that's the only way we can get her to study math :D]

She bought it because of: The processor, RAM, screen resolution as compared to other locally available tabs in the same price range.

I haven't used it much - am not a tablet person but from whatever little usage I have on this, it's pretty decent. Of course as always, YMMV.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back