Does it makes sense to buy a non working NAD C521 CD player for 1k INR?

vivek.saikia

Hi All,

I just came across a NAD C521 CD player (I am doubtful about the model number). The player is not in working condition. The player powers on and the CD tray comes out but after putting the CD and closing it, the CD comes out again without reading. The seller is willing to sell it in 1k INR and after negotiations he may come down even further. The seller doesn't have the remote.

I am getting tempted after looking at the good cosmetic condition of the CDP and the price at which it is offered. So, if the NAD CD players can be repaired locally in Pune then I may try my luck on this player.
What you people suggest? Does it even makes sense to put money on something which might not work at all? On the hindsight I am thinking of it as a VFM from the perspective of getting a cabinet for some DIY (not decided yet) and a tranny inside it. Best would be ofcourse if it works after repairing. Any pointers to any experts in Pune who can deal with such dead players , would be welcome?

Please provide your views.

Why does the original owner not get it repaired? If it is indeed 521, it is not very old.

Cheers

Why does the original owner not get it repaired? If it is indeed 521, it is not very old.

Cheers

The original owner doesn't have much know how of electronics and don't have much knowledge about the reputation of NAD and feels its just another Chinese player.
I somehow forgot the exact model number but It starts with C 5XX and it has a line out and just a coaxial digital output at the back and nothing else. I am searching for all the C series NAD archived CDP models but couldn't find much info on the net.

It could go either way. You may be lucky enough to get it repaired for a few thousand. On the other hand, you may also be forced to throw it away if the repair costs are too high.

Cheers

It could go either way. You may be lucky enough to get it repaired for a few thousand. On the other hand, you may also be forced to throw it away if the repair costs are too high.

Cheers

But doesn't the cabinet and the tranny (I believe, it should be a torroidal) would make up for the money paid anyways? It may be used for a nice DIY DAC/Amp etc. (haven't planned anything as yet).

wow! where did he get hold of NAD cdp if he is not into electronics! See if he has more gems lying around. Maybe take his b&w speakers and offer him some brand new onkyos.

But doesn't the cabinet and the tranny (I believe, it should be a torroidal) would make up for the money paid anyways? It may be used for a nice DIY DAC/Amp etc. (haven't planned anything as yet).

Sure, you can always cannibalise parts from the product. With that in mind, anything upto 1000 would be great.

Cheers

The original owner doesn't have much know how of electronics and don't have much knowledge about the reputation of NAD and feels its just another Chinese player.
I somehow forgot the exact model number but It starts with C 5XX and it has a line out and just a coaxial digital output at the back and nothing else. I am searching for all the C series NAD archived CDP models but couldn't find much info on the net.

If he has paid the price of a new player, he sure would know it is no CHINESE stuff

Maybe it is actually some duplicate chinese stuff with NAD written on it :)

Do check if it has a serial number and ask him from where has he purchased it

Less than .1K it would be an good buy and it will fetch more value if throw for Parts too.. Just to keep in showcase and sig:p or else throw some more bucks to get it repaired.

This was a known issue with NAD 521 CDP model if memory serves me right. I mean many consumers were frustrated by the problem and you may never be able to fix it 100% as it can be attributed as a manufacturing defect. Of course this one may have gone from bad to worse.

I dont think this purchase will bring a smile to your face ... after a bit of headache repairing it to make it run, it may still never perform flawlessly.

--G0bble

After all the comments above, it is really a mixed bag now. Even if i buy this CDp knowing that the chances of it actually working will be less than 5% and it doesn't work finally, even than i will be a bit sad. And with no immediate plans of any DIY builds, even I will not be using the parts immediately.

Hi Vivek,
i guess probably there may be
1. Timing Problem with Loader mechanism
2. Lens is faulty.

Remote is not an issue.

Its only a gamble of 1K or less as you said.
you can buy it considering a DIY.

It could be the lens only which needs to be changed......... Contact the NAd dealers and find out if they have seen similar complaints and what are the possible costs involved ? Then it is a gamble of Rs 1000 only....

Hi Vivek,
i guess probably there may be
1. Timing Problem with Loader mechanism
2. Lens is faulty.

Remote is not an issue.

Its only a gamble of 1K or less as you said.
you can buy it considering a DIY.

If I find someone who can atleast give me assurance of even 10% that he can make it work then i'll go ahead.
Remote is not really an issue as I already have a NAD remote which controls all the NAD equipments.
DIY is not planned as of now, so chances of it being on the shelf is very probable.
Lets see if I succeed in negotiating it even further then i may end up buying it.

If I find someone who can atleast give me assurance of even 10% that he can make it work then i'll go ahead.
Remote is not really an issue as I already have a NAD remote which controls all the NAD equipments.
DIY is not planned as of now, so chances of it being on the shelf is very probable.
Lets see if I succeed in negotiating it even further then i may end up buying it.

I think you should buy. It's not that big amount while other pieces can be used. Sell some of it to me - like PS and chassis. ;)

It could be the lens only which needs to be changed......... Contact the NAd dealers and find out if they have seen similar complaints and what are the possible costs involved ? Then it is a gamble of Rs 1000 only....

There was a discussion about this years back on this forum - I think they use philips lens or some standard part that can be obtained.

For 1K its an easy consideration. I was only talking about not keeping too high expectations. Still worth a pickup. :eek:hyeah:

--G0bble

if there is mutual trust between two of you - offer his 2k if it is repaired and works, otherwise just 500 if it is not usable.
Pay 1k now, and pay 1k extra when done, else take 500 refund.
Comeon man, just do it!

Ill buy it for 1k!

i need some dummy electronics to display on the racks that i custom make!

Ill buy it for 1k!

i need some dummy electronics to display on the racks that i custom make!

That's a deal then. I will go ahead and buy it. Try to get it repaired and if it is irreparable then magma buys it :eek:hyeah:
Seems like a nothing to loose scenario :clapping:

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back