Does projector+screen recommended for only 9 ft viewing distance?

AMITNOIDA

Is projector+screen recommended for only 9 ft viewing distance?

I have movie set-up in my 14'x11' bedroom with about 9 ft viewing distance having the following components:
1) Panasonic 42VT0D plasma
2) Marantz SR6004 AV Receiver
3) Oppo BDP-83
4) Epos M12i as Front, Epos center speaker and Q Accoustics as suround

I watch only Blu rays and 720p / 1080p downloaded movies from my desktop. Recently I have purchased two music videos of Celine Dion in Bluray and yet to enjoy them on Panny Plasma.

But I feel, the music video or movies will be more enjoyable if I get a bigger screen say a 110" screen plus projector. But whether Projector+screen is recommended when the viewing distance is only 9 ft? Is there any smaller ceiling mounted screen available?

Also, projector + screen in a bedroom - will it look awkward? :eek:

Need your opinion. Also, if any FMs have projector + screen fitted in a small room like mine, may please share.

Regards

Amit

Last edited:
You are right that movie will be much more enjoyable with bigger screen size. But for a view distance of 9 feet stay somewhere between 72" to 80" screen size. Watching movies in 80" screen will still feel better than 42 or 50 inch TVs

I've set up a home theatre in a similar sized room. Instead of going for home theatre chairs (which my wife really wanted), I went in for a king size bed though so it can be used as a guest room too.
Because of some panelling I had got done could fit in a 90" screen.
The end result is fantastic. Viewing area is max 11 feet.
I have some pics posted on my profile if u want to tk a look.

At that distance you can easily go in for a 90-100" screen.

Last edited:
I watch movies on a 120" screen from about 11 to 12 feet and i have never felt it was overwhelming. Even DVDs look good (i guess they are upscaled to some extent by the BD player), especially the newer DVDs are extremely good. I watched Talaash from a DVD recently and i couldn't tell if it was DVD or Bluray and never saw any pixels at all even from 6 feet away.

I watch movies on a 120" screen from about 11 to 12 feet and i have never felt it was overwhelming. Even DVDs look good (i guess they are upscaled to some extent by the BD player), especially the newer DVDs are extremely good. I watched Talaash from a DVD recently and i couldn't tell if it was DVD or Bluray and never saw any pixels at all even from 6 feet away.

In your case the distance is healthy 11 to 12 ft, whereas in my case it is around 9 ft. I have never come across such a close view distance in any of the demo room of the dealers. That's why I am hesitant. Although I will watch mainly Blu-rays or few movies with file size of around 5 GB plus, but 9 ft viewing distance will perhaps not allow me for 110" screen. But I may be wrong.

If you have the space to go for the 110" screen:
1. the diff in price between these 2 sizes is negligible &
2. That is about the max you're projector will be able to project at that distance. Importantly if you already have the projector with you. see what is the max size its projecting from where you plan to set it up.

You can always adjust the screen size using settings in you're projector if you want to view it smaller with the option of going full size.

If you have the space to go for the 110" screen:
1. the diff in price between these 2 sizes is negligible &
2. That is about the max you're projector will be able to project at that distance. Importantly if you already have the projector with you. see what is the max size its projecting from where you plan to set it up.

You can always adjust the screen size using settings in you're projector if you want to view it smaller with the option of going full size.

Thanks Deepak for your input. I am absolutely new in Projector / Screen segment. All you guys' input are really important.

There is 6 ft distance between my front speakers. So, the screen width may be around 5-5.5 ft comfortably. B.T.W. what is the width of a 110" screen? Are the screens of 16:9 aspect ratio?

One more thing, I don't want to do any panelling or concealed duct for running the projector HDMI cable and power cable and neither I have any false ceiling in the room. Which mounting of the projector is advisable - high wall rack mounted or ceiling mounted?

Yes the screens are 16:9. If the max distance is 6 feet you'll probably not be able to fit in a 120". In my case the distance between the pillars was 75" and my screen (Dalite manual pull down)width is approx 72".

What would be ideal for you is to get / shortlist the projector 1st & then as per the throw you get, order the screen, you can project it to the wall temp.

As for the mounting either option is fine (actually depends a lot on the lens shift of the projector too). With a good lens shift you can mount it much higher on a raised platform, else there is a chance of it coming too low. Hope it helps!!

Amit, I have already mentioned to keep the screen size between 72 to 80 on the higher side. 9ft view distance is not bad to watch with 80" max screen size. When you move to bigger room, screen size can be increased.

About using projector+screen in bedroom, I am using exactly the same and find it very comfortable. Its more than 3 years since I have watched any movie in TV. Its either theatre or HT.

For 5.5 ft wide screen the screen diagonal size will be 6.375ft with aspect ratio 16:9 which works to around 76 inches screen. This is optimal size and going beyond this size may not be practical possible in the wall size mentioned and also wont be comfortable to watch.

Check this link for view distance and screen size calculation
Draper’s Custom Projector Screen Size Calculator

Thanks Ukjeyaraj, I think 80" screen would be most appropriate considering the space available. The width (i.e. longer side) would be 64".

I have my plasma fitted on the wall. Can the screen be pulled own (or motorised movement) and placed in front of the TV? Will the TV (of course in off condition) behind the screen will create any problem?

What would be the best screen mount in this kind of situation?

If sufficient space is given then TV or screen or movie experience will not have any problem. Dont push the screen too forward, which will result in reduction of viewing distance again.

What is the height of ceiling? Will it be easier to pull it manual from the ceiling. If easy get the manual pull down and spend the money on better quality screen. Also is there any AV equipments right down the plasma screen, will it come in the way of screen when pulled down. Where are you going to place the center speaker?

Last edited:
The ceiling height is 10 ft. The plasma bottom is at 75" from the ceiling. My AV rack is just below the plasma. The AV rack has Centre speaker at the top, AVR at the mid and BDP at the bottom.

The centre speaker top is about 5-6" right below the plasma bottom. The clear space between the centre speaker and the ceiling is around 80".

Screen with manual pull system will have difficulty in fixing the pulling ring as the centre speaker will be there and as the screen will be away from the wall (due to Plasma).

very nice decision..
go big screen...
you will never regeret...with a projector..
trust me....:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:
example..i am not regretting..hehehehe
sunyt.jpg

:lol::lol:

Last edited:
The ceiling height is 10 ft. The plasma bottom is at 75" from the ceiling. My AV rack is just below the plasma. The AV rack has Centre speaker at the top, AVR at the mid and BDP at the bottom.

The centre speaker top is about 5-6" right below the plasma bottom. The clear space between the centre speaker and the ceiling is around 80".

Screen with manual pull system will have difficulty in fixing the pulling ring as the centre speaker will be there and as the screen will be away from the wall (due to Plasma).

Personally, I havent used manual pull screens, so dont know whether pulling ring need to be fixed/pinned at lower end in all models. I remember reading somewhere that there are models with sufficient weight(like a length of metal pipe) in the lower end of screen, which will ensure firm position of screen even without fixing pulling ring to something.

I remember sometime back another FM has posted his HT setup photos, where he had screen just in front of the TV. Tried searching it but could not find it.

just last week i checked a members manual pull down screen of liberty brand...it does not need to be hooked from a wall pin etc....it is automatically locked when pulled fully
best is confirming from local retailers...maybe different make have different machanism..chances are less though

I have a Dalite pull-down & it has an auto lock mechanism as Prosenjit mntnd. You don't need anything at the bottom.

Amit - a better option for you would be to go for samsung plasma 64". Projector will have issues like screen flutter when fan is on, waves on screen, ambient light killing the PQ, projector fan noise, too much wiring running around the room, manual pull down screen each time and so on.

I have a projector setup in my living room. Besides that, I have extra stuff like manual screen, ceiling mount, 20-25ft hdmi cable, maybe my pj will also become spare if I upgrade - still I won't go for a bedroom projector. If something needs to be watched on projector, we just go to the living room.

Last edited:
@Anant,

Hmm.., I think you are talking sense and practical aspects. Actually, my wife is also discouraging to make the bedroom further clumsy. Ok, lemme think and crystalise the pros & cons to take final decision.

I have no hurry. Because, I am able to watch movies, videos in my 42" plasma. Projector+screen has come to my mind to enhance the viewing experience.
Also, the expenditure, which I was calculating yesterday for projector+screen runs into about 1.7-2 La.
Projector - 1.3 La (Epson 8100)
Projector mount - 9k
screen - 30-35k
HDMI cable - 5k
Installation - 7k

As per the HFV threads, Epson 8100 is a good projector. But is there any small and compact but good projector for a small room, which can be made dark by thick curtains? The projector should have low fan noise. Actually, we run our AC during watching movies to keep the environment cooler and to take care of heat emmision from AVR & Plasma. So waving of screen due to fan will not be an issue.

Can you tell how much will be the viewing area if the projector lens is around 8 ft from the screen ? Will it be around 70-72" diagonal?

If I am missing any practical issues, please correct me guys.

you can go to projectorcentral.com there they have calculator for different projectors. Based on projector's distance, zoom level - how big will be the screen size. Don't worry much about screen getting too large vs viewing distance. 80-90" from 9ft is not too large IMHO.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back