Does this speaker/amp combination work well?

tbarts

I apologize in advance for the length, but I wanted to supply as much info as possible since most people, when they ask a question like this, give very little and it seems like you need a lot.

I have an old Pioneer GM-2000 amp and 2 Kenwood CM-5 speakers from my dad.
The amp is a PWM power supply which can supply either 100Wx2 channels, or you can switch it to supply 200Wx1 channel. It also has the option to choose between a 4 or 2 ohm load impedance.
The speakers have an 8 ohm impedance and a "maximum input power" of 40W.

Can I hook up each speaker to one channel of the amp and if so what load impedance should I select?

From my previous research, it seems to be a general rule to use an amp that is about double the wattage of the speakers. It however is not clear whether this is max wattage or RMS.
If I do hook them up, since the amp, at 100W max, is most likely easily able to overpower the speakers, is listening for distortion an acceptable safeguard to keep the power input to the speakers below max?

The amp doesn't have a dial for gain which makes me think that I wouldn't be able to control the power output, meaning max power at all times? Will this then blow out the speakers? Will changing the input volume change the output volume for the amp?

I am going to be using an iPhone input with a 3.5mm to left and right RCA converter as the amp audio input, with usually around 250 kbit/s frequency.
The speakers are being used in a desktop sort of situation, generally to listen to music with a listening distance of around 3 feet, and the genre for the music listened to most is rap/hip-hop.

Also, what gauge of wire should I use to connect them?

Referencing the picture below, for the amp, how do I connect those red, yellow, and blue wires to something to power it. I have nothing but what is shown in that picture.

Thank you for any help, I really appreciate it.

Pictures:
amp front:
View image: Pioneer GM 2000 A (2)
amp back:
http://obrazki.elektroda.net/54_1254480643.jpg

Speaker front-
http://kaisyuu.hippy.jp/yahoogazoufff/f214/001.JPG
speaker back-
http://kaisyuu.hippy.jp/yahoogazoufff/f214/002.JPG

It seems a car amplifier, anyways; is it 100W X 2 @ 8 ohms?
If yes:

You can use Kenwood speakers but at low volume level, where you find speakers are handling the power easily because your speaker are 40W @ 8 ohms.

If No, may be 100W X 2 @ 4 ohms. You can adjust it 8 ohms and it will be 50W X 2 and use your Kenwood easily.

200W X 1 is when we bridge it as mono (that is not for these speakers)

About connection, please read the signs on Green, yellow, blue, it's not; clear in images. If it is a car amplifier it will need the DC power supply, you can use AC to DC adaptor with appropriate current/ampere.

To control the gain, you can use your iPhone volume level.

I hope it will help you.

Last edited:
As you can see in the 1st picture, you can switch between 2 and 4 ohms. So, to make the "50Wx2" combination you mentioned (since yes it can be switched to 4 ohms) how would I "adjust it to 8ohms?" Do the speakers and the amp have to have the same impedance?
Thank you very much for the help

As you can see in the 1st picture, you can switch between 2 and 4 ohms. So, to make the "50Wx2" combination you mentioned (since yes it can be switched to 4 ohms) how would I "adjust it to 8ohms?" Do the speakers and the amp have to have the same impedance?
Thank you very much for the help

OK, it means it is 4 and 2 ohms amplifier, you can use the Kenwood speakers at 4 ohm option, as you speakers are 40W 8 ohms, in this way... they can handle 80W @ 4ohms.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back