Dolby Atmos 4K media player...no CONFIRMED cheaper android boxes??

BOSS8055

Hi all. Iam looking for cheaper but confirmed/tried media player that can play Dolby atoms + 4K files effortlessly. Only Nvidia sheild/Himedia Q10pro and such expensive players are only the confirmed options? Even after availability of numerous android boxes?

I know few threads exist on this topic but all those end with vague “any android box” or “with xyz chip but do side loading blah blah (not all AV enthusiasts like me are techies)” or someone will jump and declare “Nvidia/Himedia”! And the discussion goes over how shield can cook, wash and even fly!! Come on there must be some definitive alternative affordable right out of the box options. Not that I can’t afford a shield, but if something is doing same at a quarter of the price, why should I throw myself on shield! I already burnt my hands with a couple of boxes. This time I don’t want to waste on another.

Some gentlemen man said somewhere that “any android box with S905chip and a minimum of 2gb ram can play/pass through Dolby atmos”. In that case is android version of these box irrelevant? Because these cheaper boxes don’t get updates! Then there is freezing/hanging issues. Heating issues. The most important thing is picture quality. Of course inbuilt wifi & Bluetooth would be icing on the cake.

For all the above reasons, specific names with price and where available in will help many like me and put an end to duplication of threads for same query.

There would be ample YouTube videos of potential users of budget boxes which will help in deciding the right box...here are some links...

Dear efernand thank you for taking time for the links. Though minix U9-H is Rs.15.5k and EGREAT A5 is not available in india, these videos have made me aware of few things regarding settings in both receiver as well as android player.

“Phantio A95X F2” which is available on the most popular e-commerce app has the seller confirming in questions section that it supports Dolby Atmos and 4K. No clarity on DTS X! Costing <Rs.5.5k. Posting this info for people like me. Will keep checking for more cheaper and confirmed options. If anyone has better alternatives please post about them too.

Come on there must be some definitive alternative affordable right out of the box options. Not that I can’t afford a shield, but if something is doing same at a quarter of the price, why should I throw myself on shield! I already burnt my hands with a couple of boxes. This time I don’t want to waste on another.

Xiaomi Mibox 3 / S - abt 6K on amazon.in, same as Shield interface (Android TV interface).. It can bitstream Atmos to AVR..

I use Nvidia sheild and my brother uses Xiaomi Mi box 3, in both scenarios i have used it to FHD capability only.. Never played 4K content as we both are still with FHD capable projectors..

Some gentlemen man said somewhere that “any android box with S905chip and a minimum of 2gb ram can play/pass through Dolby atmos”.

I had used a generic Android box.. chinese ones, it was able to do the duty of FHD playback & Atmos bit streams.. This is enough if FHD and Atmos bitsream capability is enough.. No experience with 4K content..

In that case is android version of these box irrelevant?

Yes IMO.. All you need is capable media player.. All my experience has been with Kodi so far and it gets the job done..

Because these cheaper boxes don’t get updates!

Anyone would need application updates.. I think OS update will not apply here..

The generic Andorid box that i had was Android 6.0.. Never got an update..

Nvidia / Xiaomi Mi box - Both were 7.0 out of the box and now stands at 8.0.. In all these scenarios, it was Kodi doing the audio bit streaming and it did it, regardless of OS update..

Last edited:
I had used a generic Android box.. chinese ones, it was able to do the duty of FHD playback & Atmos bit streams.. This is enough if FHD and Atmos bitsream capability is enough..
Can you please name the box and the model. I’m trying to put as many as confirmed names as possible for future reference.

Some gentlemen man said somewhere that “any android box with S905chip and a minimum of 2gb ram can play/pass through Dolby atmos”. In that case is android version of these box irrelevant? Because these cheaper boxes don’t get updates! Then there is freezing/hanging issues. Heating issues. The most important thing is picture quality. Of course inbuilt wifi & Bluetooth would be icing on the cake.

yes the cheapest way is to get one of those s905 chinese android boxes & install core/libre-elec on a sd card which plays almost all current formats except DV, check this forum -

android updates will be irrelevant as core/libre-elec os will be all you need for playing local files (ofc you cannot play NF, prime etc from there).

android updates will be irrelevant as core/libre-elec os will be all you need for playing local files (ofc you cannot play NF, prime etc from there).
Can anyone share a tutorial on how to run libre-elec OS on an android box. Running streaming services can be taken care by fire stick 4K or android dth box. Sole purpose is to make an android box not jack of all trades but master of only one thing, playing local files in best possible picture (4K HDR..Dolby Vision if possible) and sound (Dolby atmos and dts x) quality.

I’m using a marshmallow Android 6.0 box having a 64bit processor paired with CPU: octa-core Amlogic S912 based on A53 framework with 3gb ddr3 ram + 32gb rom and GPU Mali T820. It plays 4K 70-80gb files almost effortlessly. Problem is with the sound options.
Both Kodi 17.3app as well as system settings in android is not showing the required Dolby HD and DTS sound settings as shown in minix U9-H YouTube video shared above.
Two roads are left in front of me. Either make this box run open-elac OS and see if it will have the features I’m looking for or....throw this box away and buy something that is confirmed to meet my requirements.

I think again this thread is being lost in technicalities. I wonder when I will see a post which actually lists the models of these cheap Android boxes with a side by side comparison.
I’m no techie.

Prime motto is to help those who are about to buy for first time or those who want to buy one final time. I too wanted only confirmed box names and add on to the list when ever I come across one but want be double sure (like cross checking technical fulfilment with my limited knowledge..no not being modest) before posting.

2nd priority is to guide those who have already bought a capable but helpless box and don’t want to buy again. Even that also with the help of a tutorial for simple OS/settings tinkering. In short it’s not about flexing one’s muscle to exhibit technical soundness and debate it but to share ones own experiences to make those dull boxes bright. Only experiences and tutorials.

I purely understand your genuine concern and thus appeal to everyone on your behalf to add more confirmed names.

There must be many boxes out there which are efficient as well as easy on pockets!

Can you please name the box and the model. I’m trying to put as many as confirmed names as possible for future reference.

It was Z69 i guess.. I had created a thread for Android TV boxes, to collectively share inputs, but not much has happened since then - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/android-tv-box-owners-thread.69817/

And this post from that thread for details on my android Tv box - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/android-tv-box-owners-thread.69817/post-774268

Both Kodi 17.3app as well as system settings in android is not showing the required Dolby HD and DTS sound settings

Hope you have enabled "expert" mode in Kodi and enabled passthrough?..

I have msged a couple of sellers for conformation on the same and still waiting for their reply. Will update about those if relevant. And will continue to check for other boxes.

Hope you have enabled "expert" mode in Kodi and enabled passthrough?..
Yes tried and always used “expert” mode and enabled “pass through” as well.

But the next settings ask only Dolby digital plus/DTS capable receiver but does not display options like “Dolby True HD/DTS-HD” capable receiver as shown in the minix video shared above!

Even system sound settings of android show only “system/Dolby/Digital” but no “DTS” setting options as shown in that video.

Will using open elac bypass these shortcomings and achieve desired results with the existing box? If so please point me to a YouTube tutorial which guides me to load this OS on android box.

Yes tried and always used “expert” mode and enabled “pass through” as well.

But the next settings ask only Dolby digital plus/DTS capable receiver but does not display options like “Dolby True HD/DTS-HD” capable receiver as shown in the minix video shared above!

Even system sound settings of android show only “system/Dolby/Digital” but no “DTS” setting options as shown in that video.

Then i guess, it is a limitation of the chipset.. The chinese box which had sometime back (Z69) was able to do that.. Think it was S905x chipset and it was able to passthrough all HD codecs..

Will using open elac bypass these shortcomings and achieve desired results with the existing box? If so please point me to a YouTube tutorial which guides me to load this OS on android box.

No hands-on with this.. But, try it if it isn't technically challenging..

For the Mi Box here are some technical specs - https://www.mi.com/global/mibox?utm_source=ausdroid.net

“MagicSee N5 MAX” available on the same most popular shopping app description says it supports Dolby trueHD and DTS-HD. One user confirmed the same in review. Perhaps it also supports Atmos & dts x! Priced at 4.6k.

Can anyone share a tutorial on how to run libre-elec OS on an android box. Running streaming services can be taken care by fire stick 4K or android dth box. Sole purpose is to make an android box not jack of all trades but master of only one thing, playing local files in best possible picture (4K HDR..Dolby Vision if possible) and sound (Dolby atmos and dts x) quality.

this is a quick guide for CE/LE install, rest all qs are answered in that link i gave above

android kodi will not output HD audio unless your HW supports it for which you need the 10k+ android boxes & even those have some isssue or the other. since you already have a box all this will cost you is 1 micro sd card & 1 hour of time to try

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back