Dolby Atmos Height Virtualisation

dannyarcher

I was going through the specs of some receivers and have come across this term - Dolby Atmos Height Virtualiser.
Apparently, the AVR creates height effects even though there aren't any ceiling / height speakers in the setup.
To quote from a website: "When playing any Dolby format, engaging the Dolby Atmos height Virtualizer enables a more immersive listening experience, creating a virtual surround and height effect from traditional speaker layouts without employing additional surround or height speakers."

More info here: https://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolby-atmos-what-it-how-can-you-get-it
(Scroll towards the end)

Has anyone in this forum have any experience with this?
Does this really make any significant difference to the sound experience?

Would love to know what you'll think.

I was going through the specs of some receivers and have come across this term - Dolby Atmos Height Virtualiser.
Apparently, the AVR creates height effects even though there aren't any ceiling / height speakers in the setup.
To quote from a website: "When playing any Dolby format, engaging the Dolby Atmos height Virtualizer enables a more immersive listening experience, creating a virtual surround and height effect from traditional speaker layouts without employing additional surround or height speakers."

More info here: https://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolby-atmos-what-it-how-can-you-get-it
(Scroll towards the end)

Has anyone in this forum have any experience with this?
Does this really make any significant difference to the sound experience?

Would love to know what you'll think.
Recently techno dad a HT you tuber reviewed it and said it is completely useless. You want atmos install speakers on ceiling. All this upfiring and virtualisation are just marketing.

I have used the DTS version of it .. Virtual X . in a 5.1 setup, cant say it doesn't work . Better than 5.1 i say.

Recently techno dad a HT you tuber reviewed it and said it is completely useless. You want atmos install speakers on ceiling. All this upfiring and virtualisation are just marketing.

Yes. Obviously, virtualisation will never be the same as the real thing!

Check this out where the reviewer talks about some of the merits of Virtualisation.

Was curious if anyone in our forum have any direct experience with it.

@buxx I see.. interesting to hear that. Do you keep this setting on, all the time?

I would have DTS : Virtual X on the newer action movies only . Now I have managed to repurpose my Sonodyne bookshelves to act as Dolby enabled speakers, so have a sorta 5.1.2 config. Hence not using it.. I can finally see Atmos light up on my AVR !

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back