Dolby Digital Plus and H-265 file audio issue, Denon 1713

Premblr

Hi Members,

Most of the rips available online now have Dolby Digital Plus or H-265 files as audio. My older Denon 1713 does not output audio for these files. Are there any work around for this issue?

I am using Panasonic BDT 220 as media player.

I have never upgraded firmware for both fearing something may go wrong after update.

Regards,
Prem

Sorry for adding a question which probably relates to this thread.
Is it possible to play 4K videos in a 1080P projecter. Any player which can downgrade to desired resolution level.

I see that your Denon 1713 has support for Dolby digital plus( ).

H265 is a video encoding format and your Bluray player might not support this, product specs also doesn't specify any codec support, they just list out file format support(.mkv). https://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/DMP-BDT220.html

Make sure your rips are H.264 it should play just fine in your Bluray player.

Thank you sir for the detailed explanation, so if Denon 1713 has support for Dolby Digital Plus, is it the Blu-ray player which is not able to process the audio signal?

It depends on what file you have played, if your video has both h.265 and DD+(dolby digital plus), then ur bluray isn't able to handle the file. DD+ is just enhanced Dolby digital for bluray contents, so your bluray player should passthrough that just fine(https://www.dolby.com/in/en/technologies/dolby-digital-plus-data-sheet.pdf). Denon 1713 even supports Dolby TrueHD, so if it failed because of audio then it must be Dolby Atmos.
Use mediainfo tool to look at the details of the audio and video encodings of your video file (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download/Windows). Post the info here if you need any help or feel free to send me a PM.

It depends on what file you have played, if your video has both h.265 and DD+(dolby digital plus), then ur bluray isn't able to handle the file. DD+ is just enhanced Dolby digital for bluray contents, so your bluray player should passthrough that just fine(https://www.dolby.com/in/en/technologies/dolby-digital-plus-data-sheet.pdf). Denon 1713 even supports Dolby TrueHD, so if it failed because of audio then it must be Dolby Atmos.
Use mediainfo tool to look at the details of the audio and video encodings of your video file (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download/Windows). Post the info here if you need any help or feel free to send me a PM.
I have tested in various blu ray players and they doesn’t support Dolby digital plus and Dolby tru HD in mkv formats.

I have tested in various blu ray players and they doesn’t support Dolby digital plus and Dolby tru HD in mkv formats.
Great, I never owned Blu-ray player :) . @Premblr sorry - my bad on the audio support by Blu-ray. So mostly your Blu-ray seems to be the culprit here. Alternatively you can try downloading test clips available with Dolby webpage and check what all formats your Blu-ray can passthrough.

Is it possible to play 4K videos in a 1080P projecter. Any player which can downgrade to desired resolution level.
I guess,some avr also can downscale 4k to 1080p.In fact 4k player should do itself .

I guess,some avr also can downscale 4k to 1080p.In fact 4k player should do itself .

Thank you, yesterday updated firmware for both Blu-ray player and AVR. No improvement.

So as love4sound pointed, maybe Blu-ray players don't support these formats.

Thanks again for detailEd explanation. I will try with media player.

Thank you, yesterday updated firmware for both Blu-ray player and AVR. No improvement.

So as love4sound pointed, maybe Blu-ray players don't support these formats.

Thanks again for detailEd explanation. I will try with media player.
Yes I have tested in all Sony blu ray players, pioneer bdp 180, 450, Panasonic two models and all had the same issues for DD+ and tru HD in mkv formats. Only the video plays with an error message as audio not supported. So don’t worry nothing wrong with the avr. I moved to shield and haven’t had any issues playing any formats.

Hi Premblr, your Bluray player is fine. I experienced the same on my Pioneer bdp 180 for H265.
Got the message " Video format not supported ".
As per what Love4sound says, time to move to Nvidia shield.

Last edited:
Yes, again fiddled with Blu-ray player to output audio as PCM or Bitstream to see if it works. It doesn't, so yes, time to move to media player. Thank u Love4sound and Nitin.

Yes, I get the same message. Audio file not supported.

Yes, again fiddled with Blu-ray player to output audio as PCM or Bitstream to see if it works. It doesn't, so yes, time to move to media player. Thank u Love4sound and Nitin.

Yes, I get the same message. Audio file not supported.
Most welcome Prem, now it's 4k later on 8k TV's will be or may be already available in the market. The increase in resolution will keep on evolving. There may not be much content at 8k though but am sure will be available in maybe a year or so.
Buying Bluray players imho is a waste besides considering its limited capacity in playing audio/video formats. Better to purchase Shield if it has 8k compatibility which should last you for a decent amount of time with the advantage of playing most of the formats.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say Blu-ray is total waste, it is the opposite, the best for quality content( actual Blu-ray discs). Even the downloaded movies the source is Blu-ray discs, without those these media players we would be dependent on streaming sites. Streaming sites/apps which eventhough good cannot match Blu-ray content.

My Projector BenQ 350fhd does not have picture quality adjustments like Sharpness, Gamma. color controls etc which Blu-ray player does. Most entry level projectors have these set up as preset. The picture quality enhancements of Panasonic bluray player is pretty well known.

I just have to download the right rip for now till I get a good player.

I wouldn't say Blu-ray is total waste, it is the opposite, the best for quality content( actual Blu-ray discs). Even the downloaded movies the source is Blu-ray discs, without those these media players we would be dependent on streaming sites. Streaming sites/apps which eventhough good cannot match Blu-ray content.

Totally agree with you pertaining to BR disk quality. But if you are playing media files on a BR player then they begin to get a bit iffy. Similar to a network player's convenience as against a CD player, maybe in the future such players may be available without any discs.

I have faced the same issue. Pioneer BDP160 is also not playing H.265 format so I only download H.264 although size is almost double.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back