Doordarshan HD transmission Started

Jigneshg

Dd HD (MPEG-4/FTA) has started testing on 3725,H,27500 on INSAT 4B(C Band) at 93.5 East

Commonwealth Games 2010 will be available on high definition (HD) mode, considered best in the world, through Direct To Home platforms to millions of viewers across India. Indias national broadcaster Doordarshan has decided to launch the countrys first indigenous high definition channel on its Direct To Home Platform, DD Direct, on September 1 to broadcast the Games, which would be shared free of cost with other DTH operators. Already, foreign channels such as National Geographic and Discovery are available on HD mode.

It is part of the governments decision to telecast the games on high definition (digital) quality for which the Central government has provided a budget of Rs 120 crore.

Four high definition studios are ready at Delhi (DD National), Mumbai (DD Sahayadri), Chennai (DD Podhigai) and Kolkatta( DD Bangla) to enable the broadcast.

"We are already in talks with Airtel, Reliance. Sun TV and Tata Sky for sharing the content free of cost," said a senior Doordarshan official. :yahoo: :clapping:

Sun TV is already providing high-definition enabled signals while others are in the process of doing the same.

"We are confident that most DTH viewers would be able to watch the Games on high definition."

To view the high definition signal, your television should also be HD compatible. Or else, the viewers will have to buy a special set top box to make their television high definition compatible.

The official, quoted above, said that most plasma or flat screen television sets are HD compatible.

To ensure that the signal of the games is of high quality, the DD has decided to launch a new channel to show games on HD for DTH operators. This new channel will be available on DD Direct, other DTH operators and satellite linked cable operators. Prasar Bharati, which governs DD, has already signed an agreement with a consortium headed by UK based SIS TV for production of majority of events on high definition quality.

Games magic: Even DD goes HD - Hindustan Times

"To view the high definition signal, your television should also be HD compatible. Or else, the viewers will have to buy a special set top box to make their television high definition compatible."

what does this mean???

"To view the high definition signal, your television should also be HD compatible. Or else, the viewers will have to buy a special set top box to make their television high definition compatible."

what does this mean???

haha
DD official reply :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah:

I guess he meant to say, we need a HDTV for HD channels and DD HD channel is MPEG-4 whereas DD Direct Plus their own DTH service is using MPEG-2, so DDD+ users cannot watch DD HD unless they bring new STB's which are MPEG-4 enabled

Yes, Also reform is required in DTH, where one can have one setup box and same can be used with any service provider.

Aseem

Good News......lets see only time will say how good the broadcast quality will be.......
:cool:)

This is absolutely great news now we can see Kalmadi uncle in Full HD.
Cant wait to see those 10Lakh ruppee (pardon me for this I do not have the rs sign in my comp) treadmills and gold plated 3500 buck toilet tissues.

Kalmadi uncle in Full HD.

Be careful. if he sees too much of this uncle business, he might suddenly find a long lost nephew, adopt you, give you all the money he stole from CWG, and demand 20% to be deposited in Switzerland. Worse, he might just make you the fall guy and declare he was following the advise of his long lost nephew, and was misguided. Typical bollywood stuff, eh? :)

Cheers

Can HD channels be viewes over YPbPr port if HDMI port not available on TV (while connecting via Airtel HD set top device

Yes. You can use a component cable to view HD channels. Component typically supports upto 720p/1080i so it would serve your purpose.

hardware cost and penentration is still an issue. many people who get doordarshan in remote places will have to think twice

It is not as if the DTH guys do not have the bandwidth for broadcasting this channel, which is genuine HD. Better DD HD than fake Star Plus/Star Movies, I say.

They are showing a static test image with audio now. There are reports that proper video test will start on Sep 1. Here are the screenshots:
mHjMU.png

43497680.png

Video Sample: Hotfile - DD HD Sample - Cybersurfer 12.4Mb

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back