Doubt regarding Bi-amping?

ps_sonic

I am right now using the Denon as a preamp for my rotel power amp. My denon has the feature of biamping. How does this work? I mean I already have take preouts and run speaker cables from power amp to speakers.For biamping I would be running speaker cables from the denon receiver to the speakers.So there would be two pairs of wires in one front speaker one from the receiver & one from the power amp is it? Am I correct? Please help me on this,Will this improve the sound quality in any way?

Dear, this will blow up your setup so just hold on first. First of all which speakers do you have? Do they support bi-amping?

If yes then in your setup you have to check if your rotel amp supports bi-amping since power amplifiers will have two iscrete amplifiers for each channel and not 4 which is something AVR has and in that case you have to bypass the power amp completely.

If on the other hand you meant bi-wiring instead of bi-amping that you can do anytime.

On the sound quality, it is subjective for biwiring but for bi-amping (dedicating separate drivers for lows and mids) your speakers may perform better or even worse or at best no change that cannot be told untilk you actually do bi-amp

I am right now using the Denon as a preamp for my rotel power amp. My denon has the feature of biamping. How does this work? I mean I already have take preouts and run speaker cables from power amp to speakers.For biamping I would be running speaker cables from the denon receiver to the speakers.So there would be two pairs of wires in one front speaker one from the receiver & one from the power amp is it? Am I correct? Please help me on this,Will this improve the sound quality in any way?
pre req: ur speaker should support bi amping
whats ur power amp 5 or 7 channel?
if 5 channel amp,,, front -2 centr -1 surround back-2 which will again feed the front as bi amp , hence ur power amp will work as 3 channel amp
u have to rely on avr for ur surround to complete5 channel configuration

if 7 channel power amp it will act as 5 channel then no avr needed for 5 channel configuration u can biamp the fronts

Bi-Amping with AVR only & without using power amp is possible....

If your speakers have Bi-amp cpability, then you can take L & R outputs of your AVR and feed it to the LF (Low Frequency) of the Speaker.... You should have Front height channels in your AVR, which you can take and connect to HF (High Frequency) of the speaker...

Bi-Amping with AVR & Power amplifier is also possible.....

Connect the power amplifier to your AVR Pre-outs... Take the L & R output of the power amp and connect to the LF (Low Frequency) of the Speaker.. Take the L & R outputs of the AVR & connect to HF (High Frequency) of the speaker...

Hope i was clear...

I have done bi-amping with an AVR + Power Amp & the bass was good than when it was connected to the AVR alone...

Try it yourself & let us know your feedback...

Can you list your equipment /speaker model Nos and room size.
1) Biamping / Biwiring is possible only if you have speakers with separate Low and High Freqency Binding posts.
2) If you want to use the Biamp feauture of the Denon then remove the Rotel from the chain. Do not try to drive the speakers with one binding post powered by Denon and another binding post powered by Rotel. I do not think its a good idea nor will it add to the SQ.

Bi-Amping with AVR & Power amplifier is also possible.....

Connect the power amplifier to your AVR Pre-outs... Take the L & R output of the power amp and connect to the LF (Low Frequency) of the Speaker.. Take the L & R outputs of the AVR & connect to HF (High Frequency) of the speaker...

Dear, what you are suggesting is basically using separate amps (with separate sound signature all together) to power the low driver and mid-high driver/tweeters separately, will that not affect the tonal matching?

Also in case of bi-amping how will you ensure that audio signal of low frequencies only is going to low driver and vice versa unless your AVR is doing the crossover management through its native bi-amping feature or if you speaker has separate crossovers for individual binding posts?

Dear, what you are suggesting is basically using separate amps (with separate sound signature all together) to power the low driver and mid-high driver/tweeters separately, will that not affect the tonal matching?

Also in case of bi-amping how will you ensure that audio signal of low frequencies only is going to low driver and vice versa unless your AVR is doing the crossover management through its native bi-amping feature or if you speaker has separate crossovers for individual binding posts?

Hi haisaikat,

Tonal quality will predominantly be the Pre-Amp and will not change...In his case it is Denon AVR....

When a crossover is not applied in AVR, and you connect a power amp to the AVR, a full range signal is sent to the power amp which in-turn is sent to the low frequncy drivers of the speakers (Midrange + Woofer/Woofers)...

The outputs from the AVR is fed to the High frequncy of the Speaker (Tweeter)

Power amp generally have higher power wattage than AVR, it is usually fed to the LF driver of the speaker which is mot needed....

My speakers are Polk TSI 300
Rotel RB985 mkii
Denon 1907

I also have the same doubt will it affect tonal quality? Coz one binding post of the speaker will be connected to the power amp and other to the Denon.I also have another doubt I am already pumping 100 watts from the rotel and if I bi amp it will add another 75 watts but my speaker is max 10-150 watts. I am pity scared that I would blow up my setup.

When you bi amp each set of drivers in the towers will get the power from that particular amp. In your case if you connect the higher powered Rotel to the low frequency drivers they will be fed 100 w and the high frequency drivers will be fed 75 w from denon. It will not be a summation .

In any case lots of people connect speakers to higher powered amps to get better response - of course taking care that the volume knob is never turned on fully.

Also you will have to adjust the volume levels of Rotel so that the sound levels of high and mid drivers match at your listening levels. Hopefully once this is set you can adjust the volume only through Denon assuming a linear amplification.

Finally I feel that you will be losing out on SQ as your Rotel has sufficient power to drive the speakers and replacing it with Denon even for driving one set of drivers may reduce the dynamic response.

You can always try and judge :)

VERY IMPORTANT : Remove the link between the binding posts before you attempt bi Amping
Also ensure that the speaker wires + ve and - ve do not get mixed up between the two sets of binding posts

Any error here is likely to damage your amps. Do not attempt if you are not sure

Last edited:
My speakers are Polk TSI 300
Rotel RB985 mkii
Denon 1907

I also have the same doubt will it affect tonal quality? Coz one binding post of the speaker will be connected to the power amp and other to the Denon.I also have another doubt I am already pumping 100 watts from the rotel and if I bi amp it will add another 75 watts but my speaker is max 10-150 watts. I am pity scared that I would blow up my setup.

Nope... You wont blow the speakers... i have done this with my Sonodyne Sonus 2605 FS (3 Way)....

If you feel it is risky, then don't do it.... You may connect the speakers directly to the power-amp without bi-amping

Decided not to try it coz am very much satisfied with the existing setup. Moreover I don't want to risk experimenting too much. Anyhow thanks for your wonderful responses guys atleast I came know the difference between biamping & biwiring.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back