Dragon Fly DAC for $199!

captrajesh

Staff member
I received the below mail from needledoctor:

Great news! The price of the wonderful Audioquest DragonFly DAC has dropped to $199! The DragonFly is a USB digital-to-analog convertor that gets the best out of your computer audio. Outputting via stereo 1/8", the listener can either plug in headphones or send an interconnect to an amplifier. The DragonFly is a true 24/192 DAC that fits in your pocket! Call today to speak with an expert!

It would be interesting how it fares with other VFM DACs like ODAC et al.

It comes from one of my "blacklist" companies :lol: But it has a good name among budget DACs. This format is really great for anyone who travels with a laptop and headphones. It should be popular!

Last edited:
Nooooooooo! :eek:

I mean those people who make strange and utterly unjustifiable claims about certain long, thin, two-ended components :lol:

And who make the dragonfly.

And, of course, it shuld have been "my blacklist." It's personal!

Last edited:
With you on that Thad...still not a believer in cables making big changes to the sound and a big thumbs down to companies selling exhorbitantly priced cables....
The irony is that the company making the the sound improving cables has no cables in their flagship DAC

Last edited:
Uh oh you mean it isn't heavy and big so can't sound right.:lol:

Well, as Panditji guessed, it is the flexible long thin components I'm referring to.

(Panditji, it is the networking cables I particularly object to, where there can be no technical justification whatsoever, not even in half-truth pseudo science, for the stuff they sell)

But, as to the DAC: it's tiny, it's plastic, it just has (I think) a 3.5mm output socket. No trace of a case machined from solid titanium here! :cool: :eek:hyeah:

I do admit that I'm fond of a certain look and feel. But, on the other hand, pro gear, for instance, although it sometimes has its own version of seductive look and feel, tends to lack the hifi-rack look too. I've been working with sound cards and audio interfaces around this budget for some time, and then came the light, modestly sized ODAC, so yes, I can live without the hifi look-and-feel.

This leaves me with the one thing that does worry me about USB plug-in DACs and converters --- the mechanical strain on the USB socket. I guess this has less problem potential for a laptop, where the cable will lie on a table top approaching the machine.

I think that this format is ideal for laptops, and, even if something ?bigger-and-better? is required at home, it might be brilliant for laptop+headphones+travel.

So, in this format, what's available? The budget Dragonfly as mentioned, the more costly M2Tech hiface, and... ?

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back