Dream becoming Reality - My LG65C7P OLED TV purchase

Eddierockks

Hello FMs! Hope you all are doing great.

Some background of my existing setup:

Epson TW8200
Denon AVR 4520CI
B&W CM9 L&R
B&W CMC2 Centre
B&W DS3 Rears
Tata Sky HD+
Apple TV 4th gen (the current model)
OPPO BDP 93
WD TV Live Hub 1TB
PS4
PS3
Synology DS916+ 8GB
DLink gigabit networking switch (forgot the model name)

Current scenario:

I am using the above setup in my bedroom. After getting a PJ 2 years ago almost, I had been happy for the most part but had my eyes on getting an OLED panel in 65" size or even bigger. Recently got the urge to get one since the details like colour, contrast and brightness levels on a PJ, with a few lights on, projected on a wall screen at about 120" size weren't all that great. It used to get tough watching a nice movie like that with colours being sacrificed. And I know but it's not always possible to turn off all the lights when with company. The room size for reference is 16.5' by 18.5' and I am generally sat at around 12-15 feet from the wall screen (16.5' total length wall to wall).

I usually research a lot before making any purchase but this time around it was short and simple. LG, Sony and Samsung were considered but since LG is offering OLED in India with Sony yet to launch the A1E sometime later this year, the list narrowed down to B6 and C7. Initially I had the B6 in my mind but it was out of stock everywhere. So a couple of days ago, I went to my local LG Brand Store and finalised everything with them. They have promised me the delivery today or tomorrow i.e. Tuesday although I am pushing them for today.

Few doubts:

1. Is the wall mount provided in the TV box? Or the installation guys would bring the apt one along? I want an adjustable one, the one that can be pulled out to change cables or troubleshoot etc.

2. Since I am using an AVR from 2014, would I face any issues in connecting the Tata Sky to the TV via AVR? IIRC the AVR manual back then did mention something like a 4K pass through. But I could very well be wrong. With the advent of HDMI 2.0 and another thing called HDCP 2.2 which I am not aware of, would it be a simpler process in making this setup work? Or do I have to take care of other details like upgrading the HDMI cable, the AVR or anything else at all? The local dealer is clueless about the same. I would hate to spend a bomb to make this work.

I would get a standard HDMI cable with the TV right?

I am also getting a UHD player from LG as a part of the deal so that might also have it right?

3. Warranty: I am quoted 80k+taxes for the 3rd and 4th year extended warranty over the phone from LG helpline. I am thinking of getting the same at the time of installation. Any advice? Should I do it later? I am also told that the 1st year warranty on the TV is comprehensive and 2nd year is for panel only. Does that mean that the 3rd and 4th year would also be like that (panel only)? Or comprehensive for all 4 years if I do it now?

4. TV+PJ Screen advice: I would love to retain both in this setup. If say I want to get a motorised screen in front of the TV, which brands should I look for? Any price ideas would be more than welcome. I don't want to get the cheapest one or the most expensive ones from SI. I am looking at around 30-35k budget.

5. Calibration: Absolute novice in this dept and would need real help in how to get the best picture possible from this beast.

6. SD channels on a 4K TV? How do they fare?

7. HD channels on a 4K TV? Is there any noticeable difference? Or would the TV upgrade the HD signal to that of 4K?

The dealer only had the LG demo files playing off a USB stick and said that a STB connection to the TV wasn't possible at that time while I was there.

8. Tata Sky 4K STB: I am not sure if there are any channels in 4K in India. So does it make sense to get a 4K STB at this point and time? I don't have any complaints with my existing HD+ box.

9. How to view the videos from my Synology NAS? What I mean is how to go about accessing the same on my TV? I will be using Ethernet connection.

I shall be updating this thread as and when things progress. Thanks in advance for all the help. Cheers! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congrats Eddie.

C7 is a nice improvement over B6.
#5. For movies just use one of the ISF modes and adjust the OLED light and brightness. They are good to go out of the box.

I'm also looking for an LG OLED C7 or B6, and I share same doubts as yours. I do know the answer to first one.
#1 They told me that Wall Mounting is free of cost within first year of purchase. But you don't get a bracket if you don't want to Wall Mount. Labour as well as bracket are free in first year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hello FMs! Hope you all are doing great.

Few doubts:

1. Is the wall mount provided in the TV box? Or the installation guys would bring the apt one along? I want an adjustable one, the one that can be pulled out to change cables or troubleshoot etc. - Wall mount will be brought over by the LG guy. Make sure you insist on getting it as else they will come and do just the stand installation leaving you chasing them for the wall mounting bracket.

2. Since I am using an AVR from 2014, would I face any issues in connecting the Tata Sky to the TV via AVR? IIRC the AVR manual back then did mention something like a 4K pass through. But I could very well be wrong. With the advent of HDMI 2.0 and another thing called HDCP 2.2 which I am not aware of, would it be a simpler process in making this setup work? Or do I have to take care of other details like upgrading the HDMI cable, the AVR or anything else at all? The local dealer is clueless about the same. I would hate to spend a bomb to make this work.

I would get a standard HDMI cable with the TV right? - Nope, no HDMI cable with TV.

I am also getting a UHD player from LG as a part of the deal so that might also have it right? - UHD player may have an HDMI (my Oppo had one)

3. Warranty: I am quoted 80k+taxes for the 3rd and 4th year extended warranty over the phone from LG helpline. I am thinking of getting the same at the time of installation. Any advice? Should I do it later? I am also told that the 1st year warranty on the TV is comprehensive and 2nd year is for panel only. Does that mean that the 3rd and 4th year would also be like that (panel only)? Or comprehensive for all 4 years if I do it now?

4. TV+PJ Screen advice: I would love to retain both in this setup. If say I want to get a motorised screen in front of the TV, which brands should I look for? Any price ideas would be more than welcome. I don't want to get the cheapest one or the most expensive ones from SI. I am looking at around 30-35k budget.

5. Calibration: Absolute novice in this dept and would need real help in how to get the best picture possible from this beast. - rtings' calibration settings are the one being used for the Dark Room Expert mode. Rest, figure out if they work for you or if you would need to adjust. Has worked well for me out of the box (minus the Cricket mode).

6. SD channels on a 4K TV? How do they fare? - You will survive on watching them on 4K but if that is your sole fare (or majority) then there is no fun in having this TV

7. HD channels on a 4K TV? Is there any noticeable difference? Or would the TV upgrade the HD signal to that of 4K?

The dealer only had the LG demo files playing off a USB stick and said that a STB connection to the TV wasn't possible at that time while I was there.

8. Tata Sky 4K STB: I am not sure if there are any channels in 4K in India. So does it make sense to get a 4K STB at this point and time? I don't have any complaints with my existing HD+ box.

9. How to view the videos from my Synology NAS? What I mean is how to go about accessing the same on my TV? I will be using Ethernet connection.

I shall be updating this thread as and when things progress. Thanks in advance for all the help. Cheers! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My inputs are inline:

Thank you all for your replies. I had to travel because of work for a few days. Just getting back home this evening.

The TV I'm told is still in transit and the dealer has been really testing my patience. Although he said that he will get it this evening. Let's see if all goes as per plan, I'll get it installed tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Attaching a couple of shots of my existing setup for reference. I'm planning to mount the TV in such a way that it's bottom bezel starts at about 36". 42" would be too high right? Cheers.
7963fd0bb7008fdc68b0a24947a6aeca.jpg
679ae50ea40fb9c363f0943c7ee2395a.jpg

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

OT - If you are going to place the TV between the speakers, you are going to lose out on the image while listening to stereo music. If there is no choice, then you might have to move the speakers further into the room to see any improvement.

I have removed the TV to see if it impacts imaging and did see a significant improvement without them. I still have TV between my speakers as I do not have any other place to move my speakers but they don't sound as good because of the TV reflections.

The TV arrived yesterday afternoon at my place. Posting few pictures right from the start until now. Honestly, the picture is so beautiful that I feel any photos of playing content on it won't do any justice to actually how wonderful it looks. I'd say it's a stunner!! Got the 3 year extended warranty as well so now I'm covered for a total of 4 years. I don't believe the local LG guy but he told me that I could get a 5th year warranty as well if I ask them in the 4th year for a charge of course. Doesn't make any sense at all.
6c1225ccb2fc8cb47faacd4348167896.jpg
b5e3432620b81e94899557e95eaaafbc.jpg
bd2e6ead4a734eba87871e6a19e312ee.jpg
4f0a1419f09b12d693e626145ed2c915.jpg
f254248dd2c158a80e7419ef04cb70ea.jpg
b3fa059c1f1e15460392c66ff179f3a0.jpg
708e2dd7ca8cb638ace38e76240d6dbd.jpg
933341d5bd4393aff0d8a814fb2da57b.jpg
a7a85d5176d76119d32c1c2631667b51.jpg
365870ce9da659008d667a2d672da26d.jpg

Congrats!
OLED is indeed the way to go, 4k content is pretty hard to get but Netflix on a Nvidia Shield should have quite a few shows in 4k, i think the House of Cards is shot in 4k.
Or maybe just wait for the new Apple TV.

I had done a A/B at a showroom with standard 1080p HD content on OLED VS Non OLED side by side(both LG TVs), and the OLED looks way way better.
Color dynamics, skin tone etc., everything is better on OLED. I came away very very impressed.

How is SD content?

The TV arrived yesterday afternoon at my place. Posting few pictures right from the start until now. Honestly, the picture is so beautiful that I feel any photos of playing content on it won't do any justice to actually how wonderful it looks. I'd say it's a stunner!! Got the 3 year extended warranty as well so now I'm covered for a total of 4 years. I don't believe the local LG guy but he told me that I could get a 5th year warranty as well if I ask them in the 4th year for a charge of course. Doesn't make any sense at all.
6c1225ccb2fc8cb47faacd4348167896.jpg
b5e3432620b81e94899557e95eaaafbc.jpg
bd2e6ead4a734eba87871e6a19e312ee.jpg
4f0a1419f09b12d693e626145ed2c915.jpg
f254248dd2c158a80e7419ef04cb70ea.jpg
b3fa059c1f1e15460392c66ff179f3a0.jpg
708e2dd7ca8cb638ace38e76240d6dbd.jpg
933341d5bd4393aff0d8a814fb2da57b.jpg
a7a85d5176d76119d32c1c2631667b51.jpg
365870ce9da659008d667a2d672da26d.jpg

Congratulations for your purchase. The unboxing pictures are very enticing.
Iam also in the market for a 65C7/E6-7. What is your feedback on the Tata Sky HD content. Also any issues in a well lit room or with reflections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations for your purchase. The unboxing pictures are very enticing.
Iam also in the market for a 65C7/E6-7. What is your feedback on the Tata Sky HD content. Also any issues in a well lit room or with reflections?

Honestly speaking I've not watched any TV on it till date. Only been using Apple TV most of the times. The reflections would bother you if lights are directly opposite the TV. Mine is not exactly in the front of it so that works just fine for me. Good luck!

Congrats!
OLED is indeed the way to go, 4k content is pretty hard to get but Netflix on a Nvidia Shield should have quite a few shows in 4k, i think the House of Cards is shot in 4k.
Or maybe just wait for the new Apple TV.

I had done a A/B at a showroom with standard 1080p HD content on OLED VS Non OLED side by side(both LG TVs), and the OLED looks way way better.
Color dynamics, skin tone etc., everything is better on OLED. I came away very very impressed.

How is SD content?
Thank you! Yes the picture is so good that it's almost unreal! I neither have the sources you mentioned nor a 4k player although I have recently purchased few 4k discs. Eyeing on Oppo 203 now but it's way too expensive.

Even Netflix content played from Apple TV is phenomenal and I've never seen anything quite like it. Haven't watched any TV content in HD or SD till now.

Did you purchase the extended warranty fro LG or the dealer and if you don't mind can you share the cost. The current offer is an additional year of panel warranty from LG.
for the 65inches model, I have a quote of 3.17 for C7 and 4.05 for E7 without the bundled free TV which LG has on offer.

Did you purchase the extended warranty fro LG or the dealer and if you don't mind can you share the cost. The current offer is an additional year of panel warranty from LG.
for the 65inches model, I have a quote of 3.17 for C7 and 4.05 for E7 without the bundled free TV which LG has on offer.

I did get on offer for 3 yrs extended warranty (total 4) by Bajaj finance at 25k for 55C7, but I didn't take it. I've got 2 46" Sony LEDs that have been running for 8-9 yrs without a single problem, so I'd say it's better to put your TV on a UPS or a stablizer than go for extended warranty. Chances are if there's a defect in your piece, it will manifest within the company's warranty period. I'd stay way from extended warranties. I got the standard 1+1 warranty that's included.

Just got these bunch of UHDs. Can't wait to watch them!

9e3ec9d3ff699f0eb647b74c2c6aa493.jpg

Guys help me out with OPPO 203 vs 205 ASAP because I have to take a call tomorrow! So any and all help would be more than welcome. :)

I don't play my music through discs etc rather I use Airplay from my phone or iPad to Apple TV. It never happens that I have to play a music CD of any sorts. Any other advantage that the 205 has over 203?

Last edited:

I purchased the maximum 3 year complete cover warranty at around 88k-89k inclusive of taxes. Now the TV is covered for 4 years from the date of purchase everything included.

I got my TV at 3.10 without that 43" TV (worth 84k new) offer and it included a 5 disc bluray movie pack from LG, an LG BDP worth 9.5k, a portable 3k bluetooth speaker (that they gave me to compensate for the excessive delay that happened on their part) and some demo trailers that they usually show in the stores using my HDD of course.

------

Guys I am facing a little bit of a problem with my setup. So here goes:

- I got a BDP from LG along with the TV whose (basic) HDMI cable I then used to connect the TV to my AVR.

- I removed the OPPO just to test out how the new player was like and hence, I plugged in the already installed HDMI cable that used to connect the OPPO to the AVR into the LG BDP.

- No other changes were made to the setup.

- Now there are times like today when I am watching a movie on my Apple TV or playing a game on it, the sound goes missing as soon as the subwoofer turns itself on.

- The AVR is set to -64db sound level when it starts up. At that volume, the sub, which is powered on from the mains, usually doesn't kick in.

- But as soon as I increase the volume to let's say -30db or higher, the sub kicks in and then the sound stops. IDK why that is happening! Sometimes it works too.

- A couple of days ago I read 'HPF On' or something like that on the AVR when the sub started playing and the sound from the speakers vanished. It kept turning off and on again and again like something was TRIPPING!! It took me several restarts to my AVR just to bring back the sound.

- Today I restarted the same many-a-times but all in vain. It just didn't seem to work.

Now, what am I doing wrong?

- Do I need a newer standard HDMI cable with 2.0 standard? As it is the existing cable keeps dangling down from the TV because it's 1m I guess. So I any which ways have to make a 3m wire purchase. What should I keep in mind while buying the same?

- Since no other changes were made to the setup, should I plug the existing 1m cable into another port on my TV?

I want to get rid of this problem ASAP because it's really getting on my nerves now. :( PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back