DTH Audio through Audio system

SreejithCNair

Hi Friends,

I have a Tata Sky HD connection with Sony Bravia EX52 LED TV. I have fed TS signal to my 2.1 system (Marantz NR1506 + Diamond 225 + BasX S12) through HDMI cable.

The audio output is far from satisfactory. Although the HD channels shows that the signal is Dolby digital the output does not sound so. The Bass is erratic and explosions are just missing. the TV speakers sounds better.

I do not have BR player hence could not try but I did try a couple of scenes from youtube and the system plays okay, factoring the possibility of videos not being ideal test files. I had tried U571 & Hurt locker (sniper scene). Both played ok but way better than TS.

I read somewhere that DTH claims of giving Dolby may not be true.

Looking for inputs...

Regards,
Sreejith

Hi Sreejit,

Your having 2.1 HT, so u will not get Dolby 5.1. In 2.1 u will get stereo thats 2 channel output.

You will need proper HT system, that can decode DD/DD+ and then send it to 5 speakers + 1 Sub-woofer

Since your AVR supports 5.1 channel. U can get that by connecting additional speakers.

And yes DTH does give 5.1 Dolby Digital and 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus. U just have to choose the right set of AVR/HT to get the experience

Your AVR Marantz1506 supports Dolby Digitial 5.1 but you say you have wired only 2.1 speakers. While your AVR can decode dolby if you set it properly, you wont hear proper dolby sound unless you connect 3 more speakers.

I have Samsung k5570 LED TV, which have inbuilt set-top box with Airtel HD connection & DD/DD+ pass thru. The audio output is thru optical to HD Audio Rush 5.1 decoder & connected to F&D F3800 5.1 speaker system. When the speaker system display "n2.1" am getting 5.1 effect. When switched to 5.1, stereo separated to 5 speakers, i believe. Am sure not all HD channels are broadcasting in DD/DD+.

What have you set as the output over hdmi in your set tip box audio settings?

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

In my case the HDMI out from the Dish TV set top box goes to the VU 4k UHD TV. From the VU TV i have taken a optical output which goes to my 15 year old Denon AVR-1604. when i play 5.1 content, it displays as DD EX and i get full Dolby Digital experience at the best. May be you are missing something in the connections.

Best setting to get 5.1 from Tatasky DTH.

- Set top box HDMI OUT to AV receiver HDMI IN.
- SET TOP BOX optical out to AV RECEIVER optical in. This is the only way to get 5.1
- AV RECEIVER HDMI out to TV HDMI IN.

Tatasky does not give 5.1 over HDMI hence you have to use optical cable.

Sent from my Mi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Best setting to get 5.1 from Tatasky DTH.

- Set top box HDMI OUT to AV receiver HDMI IN.
- SET TOP BOX optical out to AV RECEIVER optical in. This is the only way to get 5.1
- AV RECEIVER HDMI out to TV HDMI IN.

Tatasky does not give 5.1 over HDMI hence you have to use optical cable.

Who said TS doesnt give DD 5.1 and DD+ 7.1 via HDMI ???

I am getting DD 5.1 via HDMI ARC. and its great.

U can connect via HDMI or Optical IN, Only thing HDMI can give DD+ 7.1 which Optical In cannot give

Who said TS doesnt give DD 5.1 and DD+ 7.1 via HDMI ???

I am getting DD 5.1 via HDMI ARC. and its great.

U can connect via HDMI or Optical IN, Only thing HDMI can give DD+ 7.1 which Optical In cannot give

Okay. Thanks. Let me check this because I did not try this. Has this been done recently?

Okay. Thanks. Let me check this because I did not try this. Has this been done recently?

Yes bro. I got a new HT this week, and this is my connections:

TV <-----> Tata Sky HD via HDMI
TV <-----> Home Theatre via HDMI ARC

So the Video/Audio travels from the Tata Sky STB to TV via HDMI and the Audio then travels to Home Theatre via ARC (Audio Return Channel) connected by another HDMI

Hence, there is no need to connect Digital Audio (Optical Cable)

Note: Optical In can only transmit DD (5.1) Audio. HDMI can transmit DD (5.1) and DD+ (7.1)audio along with latest surround sound like Atmos and DTS/HD master, etc

Yes bro. I got a new HT this week, and this is my connections:

TV <-----> Tata Sky HD via HDMI
TV <-----> Home Theatre via HDMI ARC

So the Video/Audio travels from the Tata Sky STB to TV via HDMI and the Audio then travels to Home Theatre via ARC (Audio Return Channel) connected by another HDMI

Hence, there is no need to connect Digital Audio (Optical Cable)

Note: Optical In can only transmit DD (5.1) Audio. HDMI can transmit DD (5.1) and DD+ (7.1)audio along with latest surround sound like Atmos and DTS/HD master, etc

So if I connect tatasky directly to av receiver, will I get DD and DD +? All channels?

Yes connecting set top box directly to the receiver is the best way to connect. Enable stand by pass through on the receiver, so that the receiver passes on the signal to TV when in stand by.

MaSh

So if I connect tatasky directly to av receiver, will I get DD and DD +? All channels?

If your HT has HDMI IN, u can connect like this:

TS HD STB <-----> AV receiver via HDMI (input)
AV receiver <-----> TV via HDMI (output)

You will get DD/DD+ audio on the HD channels which have the Dolby content

Try and let us know

If your HT has HDMI IN, u can connect like this:

TS HD STB <-----> AV receiver via HDMI (input)
AV receiver <-----> TV via HDMI (output)

You will get DD/DD+ audio on the HD channels which have the Dolby content

Try and let us know
That's really new info. I will try it definitely
Thanks

That's really new info. I will try it definitely
Thanks

Welcome...

HDMI is better than Optical cable.

But since many low end HT/AVR do not have HDMI IN, then Optical IN gives u same audio quality as to HDMI.

As i said before Optical In can carry only DD 5.1, whereas HDMI can carry DD+ 7.1 and the newer Dolby and DTS technology.

Welcome...

HDMI is better than Optical cable.

But since many low end HT/AVR do not have HDMI IN, then Optical IN gives u same audio quality as to HDMI.

As i said before Optical In can carry only DD 5.1, whereas HDMI can carry DD+ 7.1 and the newer Dolby and DTS technology.

How does one come to know if audio is dd or dd+? Is there any display on avr?

How does one come to know if audio is dd or dd+? Is there any display on avr?

The channel info should mention it. Also your receiver display will show the format.

MaSh

The channel info should mention it. Also your receiver display will show the format.

MaSh

It is showing nothing on av receiver about the format. I have yamaha rxv 583. Any help on this?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back