DTH STB with capability to transfer recorded content to HDD/pen drive?!

TheSeeker

Hello,

am a subscriber of tata sky, having tata sky hd+ set top box. i need an STB now which has the feature to transfer recorded content onto an HDD or any USB connected device. tata sky itself is now offering such STB, but the transfer takes place over wifi, onto your phone/tab, using a special TS app for it. am not sure this will be helpful. i also want to be able to share the recorded video with others on IMs, or on forums, or social media, etc. so i feel that content transferred to an HDD may help.

pls share your views and suggestions on what route should i take.

TIA!

Hello,

am a subscriber of tata sky, having tata sky hd+ set top box. i need an STB now which has the feature to transfer recorded content onto an HDD or any USB connected device. tata sky itself is now offering such STB, but the transfer takes place over wifi, onto your phone/tab, using a special TS app for it. am not sure this will be helpful. i also want to be able to share the recorded video with others on IMs, or on forums, or social media, etc. so i feel that content transferred to an HDD may help.

TIA!

I am not sure if Tata Sky is giving this option as almost all the providers have encrypted formats for the DVR capability boxes and it does play only via their own STB boxes and not outside.

Hello,

TIA!
As said above I doubt you will be able to share it outside Tata sky network. If you do, won't it be Piracy?

Could you post the Tata sky link mentioning data transfer?

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I think the transfer is at low resolution. Since you want to share in forums and social media, it might work for you.

thanks, and sorry for the late reply everyone!

I am not sure if Tata Sky is giving this option as almost all the providers have encrypted formats for the DVR capability boxes and it does play only via their own STB boxes and not outside.

As said above I doubt you will be able to share it outside Tata sky network. If you do, won't it be Piracy?

Could you post the Tata sky link mentioning data transfer?

MaSh

I think the transfer is at low resolution. Since you want to share in forums and social media, it might work for you.

very strangely, i cant find mention of it now on the TS page! IIRC, i did see it on the homepage itself a week back.
anyway, the STB is called 'tata sky transfer plus hd'.

a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDdTuMPZ0ns

on amazon:
Tata Sky Transfer+ HD Set Top Box with Annual Ultra: Amazon.in: Electronics

yes, it does seem i wont be able to transfer it out of my mobile device onto a pc. there must be some mechanism by way of which the content would be protected. dont airtel/videocon offer anything? sorry, havent been able to take some time out to research further.

yes, it does seem i wont be able to transfer it out of my mobile device onto a pc. there must be some mechanism by way of which the content would be protected. dont airtel/videocon offer anything? sorry, havent been able to take some time out to research further.

All content is encrypted and licensed. This what you pay the provider(every provider) as fees.

MaSh

All content is encrypted and licensed. This what you pay the provider(every provider) as fees.

MaSh

ok so found out that other DTH providers dont let you transfer recorded contents from STB to ext. storage device literally, but have 'unlimited recording' feature, where you connect the external storage device to the STB and record shows to the storage device.

looks like i will have to do a comparison between airtel and videocon now. TS doesnt have this feature in any STB.

Depends how badly you want to it. There's a roundabout way. Hauppage and Avermedia have products which can copy from an STB to a PC. I have used one for the purpose which I had originally bought to copy old VHS videos to my PC.

There were older dvd Hdd recorders also which are good for such type. But they will be hardly able to find. Look if you can source it from used markets if its important for you. Especially Panasonic DMR series are way to go.

thanks everyone!

i had a chat with an airtel tv cust. exec. some days back. she seemed clueless at first, but i understood that they provide a pen-drive to be attached to the STB, and that the recorded content on it gets 'erased' if the PD is detached from the STB anytime (as per her).
didnt talk to videocon yet.

would look into TV tuners next. seems like a good idea.

There were older dvd Hdd recorders also which are good for such type. But they will be hardly able to find. Look if you can source it from used markets if its important for you. Especially Panasonic DMR series are way to go.

though i'd look what these are on the web, but could you pls briefly tell about them?

It does not get erased. It's encrypted and can be read by the set top box only.

As mentioned earlier the content is encrypted to avoid Piracy.

MaSh

It does not get erased. It's encrypted and can be read by the set top box only.

As mentioned earlier the content is encrypted to avoid Piracy.

MaSh

yes, that seemed like a rather lame caveat to scare the customer.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back