DTS always sound better than Dolby Digital?

surendar

Few DVDs I watched which I think has better DTS sound:

1) Terminator 2 Judgment Day Ultimate Edition by Artisan(Region 1, 2000)
2) Lord of the Rings Trilogy Newline platinum series extended Edition (Region 1)
3) The Bird with the Crystal Plumage Special Edition by Blue Underground(Region 0, 2006)
4) Suspiria Special Edition by Blue Underground (Region 0, 2007)
5) Event Horizon Special Collectors Edition (Region 1, 2007)
6) Gladiator Signature Collection with DTS track (Region 1, 2000)
7) The Fast and the Furious Collectors Edition (Region 1, 2002)

Personally I think it is not necessary that a DTS track should has to sound better than Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. In most cases I notice a slight difference or no difference at all. The following DVD sounds amazing even without a DTS track:

Panic Room 3 Disc Special Edition (Region 1, 2004)

Lets discuss in this thread on DVDs/ Blu Rays which has both DTS and Dolby Digital but the later sounds better.

DTS usually sounds better coz of better bit rates (and hence take up more space so most movies do not have DTS to use the space for extras etc). Dolby is widely supported by US based studios.

Be careful to carefully match the volume levels before you make a comparison. The DTS tracks are mastered with 3dB boosted SPL & on many HT systems that itself can create an audible improvement over dolby.

Dts is better than DD technically.
But if the original recording is not good in Dts ,DD can sound marginally better with good recording.

I always found DTS to be louder but DD being more clear, Dynamic range is also better in DD is what i feel.

Over all i prefer DD over DTS.

I always found DTS to be louder but DD being more clear, Dynamic range is also better in DD is what i feel.

Over all i prefer DD over DTS.
Me too (found DTS louder and having more treble than DD). But it is not as if I prefer one over other - depends on the movie genre. For example, for Meet the Parents(drama/rom-com) anything will do but perhaps X-Men Wolverine (action) will be better on DTS HD MA.

I was fortunate enough to experience Saving PrivateRyan on Special Edition DTS track. It sounded amazing. I have even watched this movie on a Dolby Digital Soundtrack. But i feel on this special edition Disc, DTS sounded amazing. Gun shots was crystal clear as was the sea breeze.....

Check your comparison if u can get your hands on these....

I have noticed that the center channel (dialog) audio level is very low in DTS Discs compared to Dolby. Why ?
I have tried to calibrate my A/V Amp but no result.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back