Dual HDMI monitors on Denon AVR

aurum

Hi, I'm evaluating the Denon X2600H. It has two HDMI outs. I'd like to connect one to my 4K TV and the other to my 1080p projector. Only one of the two monitors will be on at any point in time. Does anyone know if the AVR can change the output resolution automatically depending upon which monitor is on? For example, if the source is my Oppo UDP-203 (a 4K Blu-ray player), I'd like the AVR to output 4K when I'm watching on my TV and 1080P when watching on the projector. Possible without tinkering in settings each time? The X2500H would work similarly, I assume.

I've pulled the trigger on the Denon X2600H. In order to solve the output resolution problem, I have also ordered an HDFury Integral 2, whose only job will be to fool the X2600H into thinking that it is a 4K sink. It will then convert the signal to a 1080p one that my Epson projector can accept. Will report back how the AVR behaves with and without the HDFury.

Now that I have taken this call, I have an X2000 that I'd like to sell. I dont have classified posting privileges on this site. Any other enthusiast sites where I could 'put it up? The obvious ones are OLX and Quikr of course.

Hello....
Oppo has an output resolution setting which can be set to auto.
In your AVR, you can switch off the upscaling feature.

This way, when you select the second HDMI output for your projector, shouldn't the oppo player automatically detect it as 1080p display and change the output resolution automatically. Just my thought.

Playing 1080p to the projector is not the problem. The problem is that once the AVR detects that one of the outputs is 1080p, it will only output 1080p to the 4K monitor as well. By default, it sets the lower resolution for both outputs. So, in order to preserve 4K output from the Oppo through the AVR to the TV, I have to somehow convince the AVR that the other output is 4K too. Thats where the HDFury Integral2 comes in.

Update: I received the X2600H day before yesterday, and the HDFury reached my house today (not yet set up). I ran various trials the night before, and here's my take:

For my specific use case of a 4K TV and a 1080p projector, the HDFury is not really needed if you are willing to put up with a minor inconvenience, i.e. changing the AVR output to Monitor 1 or Monitor 2 depending on what you want to watch. The other monitor may be connected, and even switched on, it doesnt matter. The AVR will respect the resolution of the Monitor to which you have directed its output. So, if the 4K TV is Monitor 1, you are playing a 4K Blu-ray and the output is Monitor 1, you will get 4K HDR on the TV even if the projector is connected to Monitor 2 and switched on. When Dual is on, of course, it does not pass 4K HDR.

So the only thing I for which I am paying USD 249 + customs duty, in the case of the HDFury, is to allow Dual output and save me the minor inconvenience of switching outputs. This money would have been better spent on upgrading to the 3600H in my view. Live and learn, I guess...

So, for clarity:
- If the output is Monitor 1 (a 4K HDR TV in my case), it will pass through 4K HDR (depending on content) irrespective of what is connected to Monitor 2 (switched on or not)
- If the output is Monitor 2 (a 1080p projector in my case), it will pass 1080p irrespective of whether Monitor 1 is connected or not. I ran into an issue early on when I played a 4K movie on my Oppo Bluray Player and the menus would show up on the projector but the movie wouldn't play (unsupported). I realized that I had set the output of the Oppo as "UHD Auto" instead of "Auto". Duh!
- If the output is dual, I think the signal passed is 1080p to both the TV and projector. I'm not sure because even in this case, the LG TV info shows that the input received is 4K (but not HDR). In any case, HDR is not being passed.

Great that you could share your experience. Others can make a informed choice.

Is upscaling enabled on your AVR, since you are getting 4k signal for dual mode.

I distinctly remember from my experience with denon x3300, when i had connected 4k HDR tv to one output and normal 4k tv to other output, HDR was available on my 4k HDR tv and the other TV was also playing in 4k. Maybe with 1080p monitor, it will behave like yours.

While the AVR can upscale, it doesn't need to upscale if it is getting 4K HDR content. It passes the same signal through to both monitors. I need the HDFury to downscale the 4K HDR signal to 1080p SDR for Monitor 2, while simultaneously getting 4K HDR in Monitor 1. In your case, if you connect a 1080p monitor, if it is in dual mode, the AVR will send 1080p to both monitor outputs, not 4K. Resolution is the defining criteria from what I understand, not HDR.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back