Dubai Airport - Duty Free?

Raghav

I am going on a trip where I will be in Dubai Airport for 4 hours. Anything worth shopping for at the Airport in Hi-Fi.

Items of interest will be AVR, Speakers, BDP, Projector, Media Player, Camera and anything else interesting?

Plenty of luggage allowance, so weight is not an issue.

Raghav

Hi,

You can look into cameras, which are realtively cheaper. I have a relative who came down to Chennai and he grabbed a pana 12 mp digital for 349 AED at the airport. Not sure about other things you have listed.

Cheers!

I am more on the look for models like Panasonic G1 / GF1 or the Canon EOS550D.

Hi,

You can look into cameras, which are realtively cheaper. I have a relative who came down to Chennai and he grabbed a pana 12 mp digital for 349 AED at the airport. Not sure about other things you have listed.

Cheers!

I am more on the look for models like Panasonic G1 / GF1 or the Canon EOS550D.

Hi

550D is costing around 45K in India with 2 years warranty with lens kit, if you could get below 35 to 40K it is worth.

Just take a shot at ebay.in and not down the prices quoted there, so you will be able to narrow the product with good savings.

I have always been able to get goods much cheaper outside - in Dxb City. However if you are just stopping over, then maybe. (depends of where you are coming from)

Recently I had a chance to transit Dubai. The cost of an ipod touch 32G there was much more than what I paid for in California with 9% tax. don't remember the exact price in Dubai though.

On second thoughts - Maybe its because Cupertino is in CA while Dubai is really far...

Regards

I have found most airports including Singapore to be useless for the kind of equipment we look for. They stock very few options, and mostly what the vendors feel will move. You will not even have heard of some of the brands.

Dubai airport has very few electronic items other than the usual suspects such as hard drives, wireless routers, 2-in-1s, audio CDs, DVDs, iPod related stuff, etc. Of course you can pick up liquor, cigarettes, and perfumes in abundance.

In transit, if you are flying Emirates and have enough time, you can get a temporary visa to visit the city.

Cheers

So not much chance of an AVR, BDP or Projector.

Actually its only a 3 3/4 hour between flights and thus no good to get out of the Airport. Also I am coming from Mauritius where there will be nothing of note to buy in Hi-Fi. Then I should concentrate on the DSLR.What about an unlocked iPhone?

Right in the center of the airport is a shop with a bunch of DVD's for sale in the entrance. I have seen some LCD projectors there for sale - like the 720p models. Never did check the price because I was not planning to buy, but at-least you will have plenty of time to kill and what better way then to check out the projectors:)
Cheers
Sid

Just bought one 550D for my Sister-in-Law for 45k. I am also getting the Panasonic G1 for 26k in India. However, GF1 is for 45K. Unless I get them 20% cheaper is not worth the hassle.

In fact, if I buy without B&W they are available in India for 10% below the given prices.

Also you can give opinions on EP1 vs G1 vs GF1 vs 550D.

Hi

550D is costing around 45K in India with 2 years warranty with lens kit, if you could get below 35 to 40K it is worth.

Just take a shot at ebay.in and not down the prices quoted there, so you will be able to narrow the product with good savings.

I have found most airports including Singapore to be useless for the kind of equipment we look for. They stock very few options, and mostly what the vendors feel will move. You will not even have heard of some of the brands.

Dubai airport has very few electronic items other than the usual suspects such as hard drives, wireless routers, 2-in-1s, audio CDs, DVDs, iPod related stuff, etc. Of course you can pick up liquor, cigarettes, and perfumes in abundance.

In transit, if you are flying Emirates and have enough time, you can get a temporary visa to visit the city.

Cheers

Right, I only saw el-cheapo stuff in the electronics store - the kind of stuff that looks like cheap Chinese brands you would see in a crowded city market or bust stand in India.

PS: iPhone does not come unlocked - you need to break it.
I saved 7500/- on the iPod touch purchased from US over India prices for same model, you are likely to save maybe atleast 5K by purchasing iPhone in Dubai.

Regards

Right in the center of the airport is a shop with a bunch of DVD's for sale in the entrance. I have seen some LCD projectors there for sale - like the 720p models. Never did check the price because I was not planning to buy, but at-least you will have plenty of time to kill and what better way then to check out the projectors:)
Cheers
Sid

Dubai airport has 3 terminals and each terminal has its own duty free shopping area. You possibly need to be more specific about which terminal you have been to:)

I am going on a trip where I will be in Dubai Airport for 4 hours. Anything worth shopping for at the Airport in Hi-Fi.

Items of interest will be AVR, Speakers, BDP, Projector, Media Player, Camera and anything else interesting?

Plenty of luggage allowance, so weight is not an issue.

Raghav

Raghav, the kind of AVR, speakers & projectors you'd look for will not be available in airport. BDP & Point & shoot / DSLR cameras would be available. But by experience, I can tell you that most items are definitely cheaper in Dubai city compared to Duty Free in the airport. Couple of things I found priced decently in Dubai Duty Free are chocolates & "spirits":) Hence the wonderful sight all our subcontinental "brothers" carrying bags & bags of Duty free shopping!!

Going to Terminal 3.

How about iPhone 3GS? will that be available anywhere.

For other stuff like chocolates, perfumes, clothes, accessories I always give a look around and pick up what I like.

Raghav, the kind of AVR, speakers & projectors you'd look for will not be available in airport. BDP & Point & shoot / DSLR cameras would be available. But by experience, I can tell you that most items are definitely cheaper in Dubai city compared to Duty Free in the airport. Couple of things I found priced decently in Dubai Duty Free are chocolates & "spirits":) Hence the wonderful sight all our subcontinental "brothers" carrying bags & bags of Duty free shopping!!

Hi,

AFA my experience goes, the duty free shops in any airport is only suitable to buy Cosmetics/Liquor/Garments, most of the times Electronics are cheap in the city than the airport. In the airport the duty is free, but selling price is high.

cheers.

Going to Terminal 3.

How about iPhone 3GS? will that be available anywhere.

For other stuff like chocolates, perfumes, clothes, accessories I always give a look around and pick up what I like.

Not quite sure about iPhone 3GS availability in Duty Free, but mobile phones in Dubai are cheaper only between 5 - 10% compared to India. Although Apple products carry a global warranty, others like Nokia do not have international warranty and hence not worth buying in Dubai if you live in India

both DU and Etisalat sell iphones in Dubai. I dont know if they have a counter in Dxb Airport though.

Secondly BOTH of them sell OFFICIALLY UNLOCKED phones in Dubai. However you will have to specifically ask them to unlock yours - they will then hook it up to the Apple servers and unlock it for you - permanently!

I just bought one such 32gb 3GS (from the city) for around 33k

both DU and Etisalat sell iphones in Dubai. I dont know if they have a counter in Dxb Airport though.

Secondly BOTH of them sell OFFICIALLY UNLOCKED phones in Dubai. However you will have to specifically ask them to unlock yours - they will then hook it up to the Apple servers and unlock it for you - permanently!

I just bought one such 32gb 3GS (from the city) for around 33k

Yes I know that Du & Etisalat sell iPhones, but as you mentioned they sell it in the city. I frequently fly through Dubai airport terminal 3 and I have not seen any Du or Etisalat shops within terminal 3. As you may have noticed, Raghav had mentioned in his first post that he will be transiting through Dubai and will be in the airport for 4 hours.

How much is iPhone 3GS 32GB selling for in India?

Dubai airport has 3 terminals and each terminal has its own duty free shopping area. You possibly need to be more specific about which terminal you have been to:)

Sorry about that - I am not sure about the terminal but I am pretty sure it is the one where all the Emirates flights take off/land from - to Europe, North America and Asia. if I am not mistaken this is also the busiest terminal.
Cheers
Sid

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back