DVD Player + 5.1 budget system

sgmane

Iam Looking for

DVD Player
5.1 speaker

this is for my parents whose requirement is
* play audio cd's (spiritual, and may be some regional movie songs)
* Watches movies occasionally (regional movies) (plug it to sony 26 LCD)
* who always prefer to keep the volume low or say at times medium but never on higher side.

Some points to note

* audiophile sound quality not required
* budget not more than 6k (both inclusive)
* sorry i can use only credit card (no cash!!)
* required usb in the player to play movies/songs. (I would like to maximum reduce the usuage of lens in the dvd player if possible)
* a system that can last for 2yrs or so. (I understand for this budget cannot expect much)

My choice
Onida ATOM (i think apprx 3.2k only for player)
Philips (I see that low end philips players have lens problem). So any particular model better?
Mitashi - does not look good. I get offer of 3k (for 2.1 speaker + player 6month warranty)
F&D - did not hear about this brand (apprx 4k or so) with 5.1 speaker + philips player - did not check the model number. (all 6 month warranty)
Any other player?

I got an offer of 5900Rs for Philips DVD player (3356) and 5.1 speaker set (3000PMPO - yes yes i know about these ratings.. anyway - model 3000N)

When to buy:
At the earliest. Also may be, before or during this weekend (to buy in chennai)

thanks

From the list I vote for Philips and F&D . Even thou F&D is chinese make sound quality is vere good for the budget. I heard both of them @ friends place. He bought F&D @ monday2sunday jp nagar.... Not sure why they were selling it .. :p

get a dvd player for 2k for rest for 4 k for a 5.1 speaker set..

however if they want to listen to music .. by investing in 5.1..

rather for 4 k get a good 2.1 and that will be more enjoyable and crisp..

Thank kittu, ironhorse
Kittu - so F&D is really good.. fine.. I could not get a demo of it. (I was given only 6m warranty)

ironhorse - any recommendations on the player and speaker set? They will also be watching movies, so music:movies 70:30
I understand its not necessary to display on LCD when using audio cd's to play music (they can anway play all the songs in the pen drive or use the up/down arrow to move to next songs). what you say? (Or is display of menu is really necessary on TV when playing music)
I do not see any 2.1 other than mitashi at some showrooms here. They all have 5.1 set here!!

Thank kittu, ironhorse
Kittu - so F&D is really good.. fine.. I could not get a demo of it. (I was given only 6m warranty)

ironhorse - any recommendations on the player and speaker set? They will also be watching movies, so music:movies 70:30
I understand its not necessary to display on LCD when using audio cd's to play music (they can anway play all the songs in the pen drive or use the up/down arrow to move to next songs). what you say? (Or is display of menu is really necessary on TV when playing music)
I do not see any 2.1 other than mitashi at some showrooms here. They all have 5.1 set here!!

You can find F&D in total mall.

Regarding USB playback, you can buy NBOX media player instead of a DVD player.

That ways, you can RIP all CDs/DVDs to some USB drive (in MP3) and leave that USB drive attached to 5.1 system.

NBOX costs 1700 Rs.

NetFreak - Thanks. That sounds good.
Let me check where is this available in chennai? (If any of you know do provide contact details from where i can get it)
Kittu - Thanks. I will be buying it in chennai. May be an nbox with 5.1 would work fine!!
I think NBOX seems to be VFM. Just to play normal available formats of videos and then ofcourse the music. But does it support avi format too?

Edit: Ok. I just checked, it supports avi format too. Now only required from where i can source it in chennai.
Also do suggest a 5.1 speaker set at this range (4k or so)? Is Philips 3000N decent enough or anything else?

Last edited:
Yes it plays avi. Not sure about where it would be available in Chennai.

There are two version of NBOX. Expensive one costs about 4k
You should get the cheaper one (1700 Rs), it does not play HD files but looking at your requirements that should be fine.

NetFreak - Thanks. I think i shall go for the lower end of NBOX. Yes, iam not looking into HD stuff at this time.
So does the Philips 3000N (5.1) suffice with this? Or is there any better combination?

Yes 3000N would be sufficient.

Note that you wont get 5.1 sound from this or any other system in this budget. For 5.1 you need to connect 6 audio cables from player (NBOX or DVD Player) to Speakers.

DVD players / Media players that have 6 channel output would be costly.

Other option is to buy a player + speakers that can carry 5.1 sound over digital cables (Optical/Coaxial or HDMI). But that would increase cost.

Best is to aim for decent 2.1 sound in this budget.

For 5.1 you need to connect 6 audio cables from player (NBOX or DVD Player) to Speakers.

DVD players / Media players that have 6 channel output would be costly.

Other option is to buy a player + speakers that can carry 5.1 sound over digital cables (Optical/Coaxial or HDMI). But that would increase cost.

Can I pair an onkyo 3300 HT with the nbox for 5.1? Or would it be only something like the WD live

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back