DVD player: Where to buy online?

Polaris

Does anybody have recommendations on sites where I can buy DVD players at a good price online? Anybody recommend eBay merchants?

Not sure if you mean India specific sites : but try this one, located in the USA:
http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/multi_region_blu_ray_
dvd_player.htm

I have bought sets from them and they have been relaible and fast.You can choose your method of shipping.

They also sell via ebay but will cost a bit more there. I hesitate to give their ebay seller name, but a search among the " reliable sellers" for Blu-ray players or other media on ebay will also lead you to them.

Good luck.

Sorry, I did mean India. That said, how reliable is shipping stuff from the US? How about customs duties?

Thanks for your answer :)

There's no reason particular to the DVD or HD media player that I am planning to buy. That said however, technically speaking, everybody on this forum is probably shopping online already even if they make their purchase in a brick-and-mortar store. If I can find a reliable online merchant with good prices, it'll save me a lot of time and effort and also allow me to make purchases any time of the day. While it isn't always the case (yet) in India, online merchants are customarily also cheaper.

For example, Univercell, who are a popular retailer of mobile phones in Chennai, market their mobiles online for a few hundred less than their franchise stores which litter every street corner.

There is of course, the disadvantage of not being able to hold and test out the product beforehand etc. etc. But reviews and demos often suffice except for niche cases.

i founf ebay prices are generally higher ,ditto about other online merchants.

but time and again merchants announce promotion,you may get any deal there...

noone -onlone and offline can gurentee lower prices!

True. But this will change with time in India. You can see how things might pan out by looking at how things work in the West. For example, Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! is the place to go for electronics and they almost always have extremely competitive prices and are in general very reliable. Similarly, amazon is It for books, music, DVDs etc.

Nobody can guarantee low prices. But online stores can cut on other overheads and therefore be more competitive. Furthermore, since most reliable merchants also allow their customers to review their purchases and service experience, they have to go that extra mile to satisfy them. The Internet also makes it easy for customers to find out the best price "in town" adding to the competition.

My 2p :)

The site I have mentioned sells modified region free players, from Oppo( now sold out) to Panasonic, Pioneer,Sony and more.

They have ready ICOS hardware modified sets, for eg the Pana BD60 for $240 plus shipping. This is good value as the modification Kits alone costs $40onwards plus labour. They have been very prompt and helpful, with queries,both via email or on the phone.

Indian Customs duty ofcourse, is a slkghtly variable factor.

PS: If you have someone in the USA - you can get it delivered,some items Postage free, or even collected,if they are located near Chicago.

True. But this will change with time in India. You can see how things might pan out by looking at how things work in the West. For example, Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! is the place to go for electronics and they almost always have extremely competitive prices and are in general very reliable. Similarly, amazon is It for books, music, DVDs etc.

Nobody can guarantee low prices. But online stores can cut on other overheads and therefore be more competitive. Furthermore, since most reliable merchants also allow their customers to review their purchases and service experience, they have to go that extra mile to satisfy them. The Internet also makes it easy for customers to find out the best price "in town" adding to the competition.

My 2p :)

NOT TILL NOW - IN INDIA

1) Are you absolutely certain Newegg and Amazon are LOWEST than physical retailers ? Is this your opinion after reading articles or extensive It shopping experience in US and UK ( online and offline)?

2) You involved in buying /selling for /to the trade? I mean worked in Hardware /Electronics/Retail industry? Can you trow light on margin structure? To retailers and online retailers and mass merchants like chroma and ezone? ( I have some Idea that is why..btw I worked for Ingram(world's largest distri) and Onida) For last 2 years I am away from the industry.

3) What is your take on whacky tax structure ,different tax ppractices and procedures like C-form?
I mean take octroi.In mumbai Octroi is applicable in Main Mumbai and not in Navi mumbai and thane.So in the past Prices of laptops in Mulund and Thane ( which are barely 2 kms apart) were different..Again now they are same and I am told all material is "octroi paid" now.I failed to understand now.

There is certain C form issue in west bengal. again some issues in UP and Bihar .If you see many online retailers on ebay are not shipping to these states and prefer loosing lucrative market.

4) The biggest purchasers are still Modern Retailers like Chroma and Ezone and mass retailers like Vijay Sales,Vasanth,Girias etc.Just now Ezone is arrived in online retail in a big way but again they are into offline.

5) Overheads is misleading.Many online traders are new and need to pay rent with newer rates.,and many retailers in mumbai city are there from decades who owes the place. Think of how rates/rent went up in 20-30 years and factor in this component.

6) How you define the word competitive? Post all internet sales many hi end audio retailers have their presence..as reviews are misleading and some things in audio needs to be experienced before it bought,atleast a sustainable section of market thinks so.

7) Yes it is going to change ...but unfortunatly NOW OFFLINE RETAILERS have edge. I found mumbai's lamigton road prices LOWER for Hard Drives ,Pen drives etc ....againsts ebays 15% Discount coupon!

8) Very very few times some online promo comes which is game changing..but it is exception than rule

@jbgude et al. Thanks for the info :)

@Hemant: I'm personally already sold on the online idea and don't need convincing :) This thread is to source out potentially reliable online merchants within India. I've noticed a number of them coming up besides Futurebazaar etc. and was hoping to get some recommendations if users here had any. FWIW, it's very likely that these Lamington road chaps have already started plying their wares on the net. I know that this is the case for SP road or Richey st. merchants.

Has anybody had any experience of note in using ebay.in?

Lamington road chaps have already started plying their wares on the net. I know that this is the case for SP road or Richey st. merchants.

Yes already ,maybe in last 2-3 years
Anything in it and The it wares are basically mumbai traders AFAIF. Ditto about buygamingstuff ( our member) BTW all these maintain very good reputation.

Has anybody had any experience of note in using ebay.in?

Can you explain me the quaery? Not understanding?

My expereince of Ebay is quiet good ,especially with 25% coupouns!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:Only once when I bought Oakley Sunglasses on GEB there was mess ,but my money was returned

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back