DVD vs Blueray player - Stereo sound quality different

sudhirbhosale

Hi
I was told in store that Blueray player gives better sound quality in stereo mode as got good quality processer.

Is it true? If yes then why?

If yes then which brands are good ?

Hi,

In terms of output I can vouch for Pioneer DVD or Blu Ray players...the pre amp circuit is excellent. Pioneer has earned its reputation. Earlier the Sony CDP-S45 was the best CD player used by DJs before Denon Pitch Control players came in...sadly Sony today does not have great players...Pioneer rules!

I use the Pioneer BDP LX 55 which has a separate video and audio card...sound output is excellent and warm with punch and so is the video quality.

An Entry level Blu Ray player is the Pioneer BDP 150 which is 3D and can even play a 1TB portable hard disk via usb easily....all audio and movie formats supported

Hope this helps

Hi
I was told in store that Blueray player gives better sound quality in stereo mode as got good quality processer.

Is it true? If yes then why?

If yes then which brands are good ?

Absolutely not true.

It comes down to the quality of implementation. Some bluray players may be good. Same for "good quality" processors (I assume you mean DAC or Digital to Analogue Converter). What does "good quality" mean? DACs are continually being improved and prices for the level of sound quality continues to get lower. Last years $2500 DACs are being out done by this years $800 DACs so its a moving target as the implementations of DACs improve.

So there is no 'one' answer. But your salesguy is entirely wrong as most bluray players are made cheap and don't even put out the full video quality of better made bluray players.

I use the Pioneer BDP LX 55 which has a separate video and audio card...sound output is excellent and warm with punch and so is the video quality.
nqpSam

And What about philips basic blu ray player which we are getting free from any HTiB by Reliance Digital:cool:

Most probably a cheapo player with a single board for power, audio and video processing! (But like they say, don't look a gift horse in the mouth!).

For your information my Pioneer BDP-51FD is a wonderful CD player. I would say it is a CD player which can also play blu rays. The circuit layout and overall build quality is excellent.

Check out my old link for more info:

http://www.hifivision.com/blu-ray-d...d-review-pioneer-blu-ray-player-bdp-51fd.html

Last edited:
Dear Sir

I have used cheap Rs 3000 Philips DVD Player, not Blue Ray

The Sound was surprisingly good, on the other hand earlier Sony Blue ray

had poor quality L R outputs, I own Oppo 93 and Oppo 83,

they are mid level but better than Rs 6000 pioneer DVD DV610

which is not at all bad, but second had Rs 5000 dedicated CD player

with change in opamp output gives far better sound for L R stereo out

I am talking about Teac 1260, the NJM4558 was replaced with

2 nos LME 49710 on socket converter, the richness and clarity is beyond

Rs 10K Blue Ray player, but Panasonic BDT500 Model is reputed

to have good audio quality on L R stereo outputs

Robert Bose

And What about philips basic blu ray player which we are getting free from any HTiB by Reliance Digital:cool:

Hi Sam,

I use the same Phillips Blu ray player which I have from reliance digital when purchasing YHT 299. Personally, it works for me. It can read my 1 TB hard disk without any problem. It recognizes most of the audio (.flac, .wav, .mp3) and video (.mkv, .mp4 etc..) formats without any problem. Icing on the cake is that it recognizes iso files too which was surprise to me as well.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

Hi Sandeep: Philips BDP2100 specification does not say it plays FLAC. But you have mentioned it plays FLAC. could you please confirm.

i am confused between philips bdp 2100/2180 vs sony bdp1100

regards

Dear Sir

I have used cheap Rs 3000 Philips DVD Player, not Blue Ray

The Sound was surprisingly good, on the other hand earlier Sony Blue ray

had poor quality L R outputs, I own Oppo 93 and Oppo 83,

they are mid level but better than Rs 6000 pioneer DVD DV610

which is not at all bad, but second had Rs 5000 dedicated CD player

with change in opamp output gives far better sound for L R stereo out

I am talking about Teac 1260, the NJM4558 was replaced with

2 nos LME 49710 on socket converter, the richness and clarity is beyond

Rs 10K Blue Ray player, but Panasonic BDT500 Model is reputed

to have good audio quality on L R stereo outputs

Robert Bose
Hi Robert
Thanks for your post..... quite useful.

Now I have below options:
1. Cambridge audio CD player
2. Pioneer DVD player connected coaxial + Fiio DAC (small size)
3. Philips DVD player connected coaxial via Fiio DAC (small size)

Not sure which would sound good....

Thanks

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back