DVI - HDMI difference.

atul_d1975

Dear all,

i bough samsung 32'' led tv withough VGA pc input.

my desktop doesn't have hdmi card but vga card has DVI and vga port.

planning to buy DVI TO HDMI cable to connect desktop to TV.

my tv suport mkv -usb.

i want to ask two question.

1.what is the difference between DVI and HDMI
i mean DESKTOP - TV through DVI-HDMI and HDMI-HDMI.

2. What is the difference if i want to runn MKV file from desktop / mkv file direct on tv from usb.

There should not be any problem. DVI is HDMI without the audio channel. So you would need to connect audio separately. For video only both should perform the same as they are digital.

I cant think of any difference in playing mkv file in the two ways you mentioned unless your tv doesnt play the formats in mkv. If it does, both methods should work similarly. One problem with playing it through pc is that your tv remote will not control volume!

If your tv has wifi or ethernet port you can overcome all these by streaming from pc to tv :)

Most pc graphics cards nowadays come with hdmi port, wierd that yours didn't!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ans1: HDMI Supports HD Content Protection, Carries Audio+Video on the same cable. At Physical signaling level both HDMI and DVI are same.

So, if you play from your desk top, you will get Video from DVI and you have to connect Audio cable separately.

Ans2: If you play directly on TV, you don't need to connect these two cables. Audio quality may be better.

Video + Avudio = HDMI
only Video = DVI

Both carries digital video & no quality loss practically.

Thanks you experts.

yesterday i bought Bravo BL32B356 32-inch HD LCD TV for bedroom ( already i have panasonic plasma 50'' 3D tv in drawing room).

i paid 55 Kuwait Dinar X 185 = Rs.10,175/-

TV has 3 HDMI , 2 USB, 1 VGA, 1 Head Phone .

through usb i can run MKV files.

now My CPU is connected to TV through HDMI.

VGA CONNECTION - HDMI CONNECTION. i can see picture quality is 5-10 times better than VGA connection,.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back