Dynamically rotating fronts and surrounds possible through Denon X3700H ?

rshri

Hi,

I recently acquired Denon X3700H and have done a basic 5.1 speaker setup on it. Connected it to TV through HDMI and Computer through S/PDIF optical cable. The computer monitor and TV screen are in opposite walls, like this -

Room.png

The current Denon settings PRESET 1 is like this and it works fine -
Preset1.png

The problem is when I use computer, the face opposite wall. Hence the front/center are behind me and surrounds are at my front. Can I dynamically rotate fronts and surrounds through Denon settings? I am thinking of creating a settings PRESET 2 where -
  1. Center is disconnected
  2. the front(and center) sound come through surround speakers.
  3. Surround sound comes through front speakers.
Preset2.png

Is this possible through Denon settings?

Same surrounds may not become Fronts,but another speaker set can be assigned as Front B. So stereo may be possible. A+B won't work as one speaker pair will output opposite of Front R & L.

Use a speaker selector switch to swap the speakers, inputs can be connected as per the required layout using the outputs from the same amp.

Same surrounds may not become Fronts,but another speaker set can be assigned as Front B. So stereo may be possible. A+B won't work as one speaker pair will output opposite of Front R & L.
Thats what I gathered after many tries. If using subwoofer from A would be possible with second set of speakers B, I could have considered that. But hats not possible it seems.
Use a speaker selector switch to swap the speakers, inputs can be connected as per the required layout using the outputs from the same amp.
Please elaborate that. I looked up "speaker selector switches". It's used for one channel input from amplifier to 2 or more sets of speakers. If I understand correctly, in my case I will be needing 4 of these units?

Hey guys, I figured this out! :)
Channel remapping cannot be done in AVR, but it can be done in media player used in computer. Did that there, and now I can transcode all my computer media to AC3 5.1 and play through AVR in surround with intended channel mapping.
My AVR setup is complete now.

Hey guys, I figured this out! :)
Channel remapping cannot be done in AVR, but it can be done in media player used in computer. Did that there, and now I can transcode all my computer media to AC3 5.1 and play through AVR in surround with intended channel mapping.
My AVR setup is complete now.
Good to know that there is a feature called channel remapping in media players ...but why do you transcode media to AC3 ? is it only works with that particular audio codecs.

Good to know that there is a feature called channel remapping in media players ...but why do you transcode media to AC3 ? is it only works with that particular audio codecs.
Did this because I am using S/PDIF cable to connect computer with AVR. It can only handle AC3 or DTS for 5.1 sound. Other formats like AAC get packed as PCM 2.0 through the cable. Had I been using HDMI, transcoding wouldn't have been required.

Did this because I am using S/PDIF cable to connect computer with AVR. It can only handle AC3 or DTS for 5.1 sound. Other formats like AAC get packed as PCM 2.0 through the cable. Had I been using HDMI, transcoding wouldn't have been required.
Ok got it thanks .
May I know which media player your using for remapping ?

You are basically voiding the goodness of bitstreaming and the decoding capabilities of your receiver by manipulating the content in the player.

I am using MPV. Remapping is also possible in VLC and some old versions of Kodi media player
I had tried once in vlc ,but just stereo. If media player can remap atmos speakers ,then one can set atmos with old 7.1HDMI avr too using rear surround as atmos:).

If file has 5.1 aac ,then spdf can carry it as it is provided media player is not down mixing it.
I did try that many times, but stereo is all I got. My guess is - Sound drivers pack AAC 5.0 as PCM 2.0 blindly when driving them through S/PDIF.

I had tried once in vlc ,but just stereo. If media player can remap atmos speakers ,then one can set atmos with old 7.1HDMI avr too using rear surround as atmos:).
VLC remapping didn't work for me either no matter what I did. Maybe it works for the 5.1 speakers directly connected with motherboard/soundcard but not S/PDIF. MPV worked for me through S/PDIF after several hours of trials/combinations. Setting it up is not easy though.
You are right, lots of possibilities with power of channel remapping in hand. :)

You are basically voiding the goodness of bitstreaming and the decoding capabilities of your receiver by manipulating the content in the player.
I know but unfortunately this is the only option that I have found to be working for me. Results are good enough though for casual viewing through computer monitor. For serious viewing I already have a separate Projector setup with HDMI routing (PRESET 1)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back