Edifier DA5000 Pro & DX rant!

Rockfella

Hi,
Just bout these yesterday and connected with my Xonar DX. Using XMBC, was watching man of steel 16gb blu ray rip (DTS HD MA). How to decode, how to test analog 5.1/media player?
Any info?

Thanks.

Most popular media players should be able to play the core DTS track (1509kbps), did you try playing it in other media players like VLC?

Why do you think you are not getting true surround sound while playing that movie? Are there no sounds in surround speakers?

There is audio in all speakers but it is flat, it's like audio just coming out from all speakers, vocals too to an extent.
Are your not getting 5.1 sound?

Most popular media players should be able to play the core DTS track (1509kbps), did you try playing it in other media players like VLC?

Why do you think you are not getting true surround sound while playing that movie? Are there no sounds in surround speakers?

Have you checked your setup with some other movie? Man of steel has a lot of music content in the surround channels, so much that you may think that some one has wrongly wired the front channels to the surrounds :D

The ffdshow filter is converting the DTS track to PCM and theoretically this will not result in any loss of audio. Sometimes the overall volume might be slightly lower when using ffdshow filter. If your still have problems with other movies or 5.1 content then try disabling the ffdshow filter and let the player decode the audio.

Well, i was unable to watch any movie on decent volume after i was able to set ffdshow filter, so will report tomorrow. The player by default doesn't decode DTS, so read about ffdshow filter and set it up. Will report tomorrow. I just want to enjoy true surround using my media center. This player doesn't support that remote i have.
UPDATE: PowerDVD does everything by default and in video enhancements "Vivid" profiles makes HD movies look really nice!! Thanks.
Have you checked your setup with some other movie? Man of steel has a lot of music content in the surround channels, so much that you may think that some one has wrongly wired the front channels to the surrounds :D

The ffdshow filter is converting the DTS track to PCM and theoretically this will not result in any loss of audio. Sometimes the overall volume might be slightly lower when using ffdshow filter. If your still have problems with other movies or 5.1 content then try disabling the ffdshow filter and let the player decode the audio.

Last edited:

This Dolby 5.1 test video clip plays fine now. The gun shots that are suppose to come from rear speakers do come from it now. PowerDVD also does it by default! Supports my remote too:

VLC and PotPlayer work very well too. PotPlayer in fact is the best (IMHO). I have used Cyberlink PowerDVD in the past and no arguments against it... its an excellent player but nothing the free media players cannot offer or compete with.

Did you check if you picked the correct audio stream? HD rips often come with multiple audio tracks including 2 channel tracks.

Most of the DTSMA tracks get down sampled when you tray to get 5.1 analog out from sound card.So I tried following solution-
http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...ng-lossless-hd-audio-5-1analoge-out-htpc.html

Also one suggestion,try MPCHC for prefect sound(no down sampling).
Also pot player analog out is good option.
Yesterday compared bitstreaming between XBMC,MPCHC and Potplayer,I can definitely say that Potplayer is best for Bitstreaming,MPCHC was second and XBMC is not outputting perfect sound.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've removed all extra audio tracks from all my movies using mkvmerge some months ago. Trying Potplayer now. Thing is i need something stable and light which supports my MCE remote too. Powerdvd is too "heavy", is taking 350 mb space post installation, supports my remote in "cinema" mode though.
VLC and PotPlayer work very well too. PotPlayer in fact is the best (IMHO). I have used Cyberlink PowerDVD in the past and no arguments against it... its an excellent player but nothing the free media players cannot offer or compete with.

Did you check if you picked the correct audio stream? HD rips often come with multiple audio tracks including 2 channel tracks.

Hey, I was able to configure/set-up surround yesterday (which i realised today) night but could only check it today as folks slept.
This tutorial http://www.ezoden.com/684/tutorial-htpc/12 suggested by you is very good and i tested their test files : pack_test_ac3_5_1. Had to rename each file from french/german to english lol. All speakers output accurate surround!
However I am not sure if I'm getting the best possible surround as of now so more tweaking/ R & D will start from now lol.
Most of the DTSMA tracks get down sampled when you tray to get 5.1 analog out from sound card. So I tried following solution-
http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...ng-lossless-hd-audio-5-1analoge-out-htpc.html

Also one suggestion,try MPCHC for prefect sound(no down sampling).
Also pot player analog out is good option.
Yesterday compared bitstreaming between XBMC,MPCHC and Potplayer,I can definitely say that Potplayer is best for Bitstreaming,MPCHC was second and XBMC is not outputting perfect sound.

Last edited:
Ok, I found the "test" files on my PC and ran some tests. I get almost perfect 5.1 surround on my speakers:

Obviously they sound better & crisp on the Onkyo 3500 but for 11k these speakers are great value. Or maybe it is because of Xonar DX?

Last edited:
Some comparison. Media Player VS PowerDVD 13 (Vivid mode) Though PowerDVD takes 350mbs, it does the job much better without much tweaking and almost same cpu utilization.

Media player classic: (MadVR, still tweaking)

PowerDVD 13 in vivid mode (which definitely enhances PQ)

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back