Edirol MA-15D Speakers Amp and DAC -In One!

hemantwaghe

Banned
Banned
This was surprise Amp Dac - Speakers package of HFV Pune meet.

Chapter 1 -
Story So Far 3-4 Months back

My Problems I sleep late in the night ,and I am not able to listen to music and it disturbs others. I have a small mezzanine space which I am planning to re arrange and use for low volume listening

Solutions Thought ( Needed in Small Space) Toppings + Matching small speakers and then thought a pair of powered speakers I was NOT able to get Audioengine demo before ,also AE5 was beyond my budget. Topping also I never heard.

Then out of the blue there was a online ad about Edirol Powered speakers Model MA- 150

Now web research showed that it has
1) small size
2) 15 Watt x 2 Amp
3) Optical and Co axial Inputs THAT MEANS IT HAS DAC ON BOARD!
4) Even a sub out ! That may be a pre out as nowhere switch was provided
5) Decent wood and metal finish

It was made by Edirol brand of Roland a Japanese manufacturer of electronic musical instruments, electronic equipment and software. Their sub brand Edirol is a line of professional video-editing and video-presentation systems, as well as portable digital audio recorders. Edirol also has Desktop Media (DTM) products, more production-oriented, and include computer audio interfaces, mixers, and speakers.
Now there were some issues

1) A number of people claimed that studio monitors are not good for home listening. Too reveling. Over neutral and dry were words associated. And this may the demand from studio equipment, it was logical
2) Now the surprising part THESE SPEAKERS HAVE DIGITAL SOUND PROCESSING CHIP !!???-Called Bass Enhancer
From Roland site

What is the Bass Enhancer?

The Bass Enhancer found in the MA-15D Stereo Monitors lets the user hear bass frequencies not normally audible through speakers this size. The Bass Enhancer is a DSP chip programmed using psychoacoustic principles that converts low frequencies into a series of overtones which the human ear cannot distinguish from the original low frequencies. This allows the listener to perceive bass frequencies outside of the normal range of the speaker cone, without over-driving the woofer. With the Bass Enhancer, the MA-15D Stereo Monitors offer a strong low-end in a very compact set of reference monitors.

THIS CLAIM SOUNDED TOO BOSE LIKE , and thinking myself as audiophile in making who wants to stay away from such PSUDO effects.

Again decided to give them a try .Found that these are owned by a person who is smalltime composer, singer and partner in a small studio. He bought it for home use ,but according to him never used much. Condition was good

Tested these with many MP3 and some Flac songs .where output was from PC WITH ONBOARD SOUND OUT. I liked the sound in such an arrangement and bought it

In my home used it for 5-6 days , tried its digital ins used keeping on my table sround laptop. At that time too liked the soundstage and deep bass for such a small size.

The room was WIP for3 months so these speakers were just lying ( Need to take out from dining table)

Chapter 2 HFV Pune Meet

Around 7 Pm when good number of equipment was auditioned , including Mubins hi end poered Adam monitors some body wanted to give these spears a try. ( I was worried about going back and must be busy pouring Lefroig single malt)
Everyone started wondering about connections as no-one expected that speakers having digital input(s). Then we decided to connect Yamaha super premium CDP ( CD - 2000 ?? ) via Monster Optical.Music started

BTW Thanks sarang for telling me dac is 24-bit/192 kHz .
The digital inputs sound was better than analougue one , I feel it has a good DAC.

Chapter 3

Everyone in 3-4 minutes audition was floored. I think we played Hotel California and Bikram Ghosh ( Pune friends Please give track list) To be honest I never though they sound so good , honestly I never gave them a proper audition! Really good thing was in Vickys big hall these small wonders holding on their own!

I will be obliged if any of the attendees will give the their impression

Conclusion

AV world always throw surprises , I am very happy to rediscover in my backyard! I am manytimes confused and that upgrade and selling bug is seriously corrupted my mind ..Ithink need to sit back ,relax and enjoy whatever I am having!

These speakers have front control Bass , Treable ,and 2 volume controls for different inputs.

Rear inputs are 3.5 mm ,pair of RCAs ,2 Digital Inputs (swichable) . Outputs are subwoofer and another RCA for left.

Chapter 4

A lot of people asked me where to buy , which is this brand , found some answers there , some later so giving these for benefit for all

This is effectively 3 In One Speakers , Amplifier and DAC

DAC DOES NOT HAVE USB IN. However planning to use following cheap chinse USB to Co axial Converter
USB to S/PDIF Digital audio signal converter Hifi | eBay

Apple and some Dell and Acer and some other laptops have digital optical out. A 3.5 mm optical cable can be used in this case.

With squeezeox, cd playes with digital out and media players with digital out

DAC Details
Sampling Rate: 32/44.1/48/96/192 kHz, D/A Converter: 24-bit

1) Currently same speakers are available as CAKEWALK MA-15 D Againg CAKEWALK IS ANOTHER BRAND OF ROLAND
2) Roland has impressive lineup of brands for musicians and production people.
3) Bajao.com showing a stock @ Rs 11000, Tax included.Again looking at past issues please confirm the stock ,to avoid hassles. Also bajaao.com has stock of Edirol ask how old the stock is!

Roland MA-15D Digital Stereo Micro Monitors - Best Buy - Studio/Recording - Buy online at the guaranteed lowest price in India - BAJAAO - India - BAJAO - Buy and Review Musical Instruments, Pro Audio, Studio, P.A. Audio Equipment

4) Amazon link
Amazon.com: Cakewalk MA-15D Digital Stereo Micro Monitors - Wood Grain: Musical Instruments
Amazon Price US$ 160. ( Converted in INR Rs 8000.)

Specifications From Site
Pair of 15 W + 15 W Powered Desktop Monitors
100 mm (4") Woofers & 50 mm (2") Tweeters with 2-Way Bass Reflex Enclosure
Genuine Wooden Cabinets
Keep pristine digital sound, up to 24-bit/192 kHz with Digital Inputs
3 Input Sources: Stereo mini phone type Line-in, RCA (L, R), and Optical and Coaxial Digital Inputs
Bass Enhancer (*)
Independent Bass, Treble, and Volume 1 & 2 Controls
1/4" Headphones Jack
Magnetically-shielded
Sub Woofer Output for Extended Low Frequencies

Yes, Hemant's Edirol Speakers were truly a surprise, as no one expected anything great from them & hence were not being readied for demo earlier. Hemant as it is was in a tearing hurry to get back home & to do so at the earliest was also not interested in hooking them up. It was me who was keen to hear these, since they had been lugged all the way from mumbai & was also wanting to hear another pair of Active speakers post the ADAM A7 experience :licklips:
OT, these opened the floodgates & next ruenigma's Audio Engine AE2's were hooked up ;)

So thank me Hemant & gang for me insisting that we listen to these :D

Post the demo, the Edirol's were quite actively discussed upon & also Viki proposed a HT set-up consisting of 3 pairs of these + Sub & Source!!! Now that would be a good experiment! :)

Glad that Hemant realised the potential of his little wonders & that he can utilize them beautifully in his 'Den' - Shall write another review when Hemant calls me over & we listen to some more music through these 'Pocket Rockets' along with 'Jack or Jim' :rolleyes: Over to you Hemant :lol:

'Jack or Jim' :rolleyes: Over to you Hemant :lol:

Thanks Dave - my condition is always " still have,t found what I am looking for" but found something to "stay on" for longer time!( P.S. - it is not double meaning statement ,or pun on certain phrama products!

jack and Jin hmmm -also Walking Johny, Shiva ( "chiva"s) , sobieski or Gold Edition of our very own monk who is forever old!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::rolleyes:

Thanks Dave - my condition is always " still have,t found what I am looking for" but found something to "stay on" for longer time!( P.S. - it is not double meaning statement ,or pun on certain phrama products!

jack and Jin hmmm -also Walking Johny, Shiva ( "chiva"s) , sobieski or Gold Edition of our very own monk who is forever old!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::rolleyes:

Am game for any of the 'company' (Pun heavily intended) :lol:

Superb article hemant. Its true that all members, none of them at their audition seat before it was connected, turned their heads to understand where all the bass is coming from. For a speaker that is less than the size of its owner's head (pardon me hemant :D) its output is too good to believe. This is one of the two speakers auditioned (the other one being AE2) which proved that small size is not necessarily small in sound. Awesome VFM. This little thing has got too many stuff stuffed inside... as you have already mentioned. If I say that this is one of the best auxiliary setup (for its cost) one can have at their home, I cannot be wrong.:clapping:

DSC04500_hmt.jpg

Last edited:
Time to chime in.

I was blown away and thought these were some Edirol's I had heard at a friend's studio a few years back costing a whopping 45K. Turns out these cost 1/4th and sound brilliant.

It was difficult to pinpoint shortcomings at this price-point. If at all I'd have to be stingy I'd say they should've given a USB input ;)

I am kidding obviously.

The midrange on these was something leagues ahead of anything under 20K and that's passives I say. Treble felt a little shortsighted but being spoilt by the Paradigm's and Ushers throughout the day you can't blame me for saying that. Now coming to the "bottom" of it, one'd be hard pressed to find more tight bass without a sub in this or even double than this price bracket.

I've heard the A5s and I agree they sound bigger and present a more accurate imaging however they don't pack as many tricks as this little wonder does.

A 24/192 DAC, a Sub Pre-out, bass n treble controls, separate volume controls for the digital inputs awesome I repeat. And for your pesky media player and iPhone touting friends who must make you listen to the "lateshht" Himesh Track there's a 3.5mm input as well.

Another reason I am going so ga-ga over these is their sheer size. I am IT guy for running my kitchen, and with desks getting smalle by the day and multi-monitor setups already taking 90% of desk of any programmer worth his salt, decent sounding strereo at a decent size is difficult to achieve. One of the reasons I am holding on to my AE2s from last 3 years, though I can afford to go bigger on the budget after all these years.

Kudos to Hemant for having the guts to take the kids out in the company of men. I didn't have the guts hence had left the AE2s at home, considering there'd bigger badder setups that blow the AEs away. ;)

wow ! thanks a lot again hemant ji, and also everyone who's had helped me understand the worth of these speakers here in depth !!

i was contemplating on buying these speakers since the past 2 months or so. posted my queries on various forums in the meantime, but never got a satisfactory reply that could just make me go ahead without any hesitations. in the meantime, i also bought a klipsch igroove, but the thirst for these edirols didnt quench even then. but then, 2 days back, am very grateful to hemant ji that he explained to me about these speakers (and many other things too) over the phone in details, and now i get to read this ! you all sure get the credit of finally shaking me up from my passive state. am now simply going book one of these without any ado further ! no more contemplation now....will just call up bajaao (have eaten up their brains 2-3 times earlier too for this :D )

also, many people have asked for review on these speakers on some forums. this page should help them. and i will also try giving my feedback on them when i get the set. its getting difficult to contain my excitement :D kudos to you all !!!!!!!!

Last edited:
theseeker, glad to know you have found what you were looking for in these Edirol active speakers. From what I have read about these, it seems like the best bet for your requirements. It surely is a great proposition, speaker, amp, dac all in one for 11k!
Thank you, Hemant for introducing us to the Edirols.
Cheers

Showed these beauties here to a collegue of mine in office.

He ain't an audiophile .... and has put a smallish query for you (Hemant) to assist him taking a decision. He currently has an LCD and a DVD player at home, and wants to get good sound output in the room. Is it possible to connect 'separately' the LCD and DVD on to the Edirols .... His DVD 'should' have digital outs (not sure ... the bugger does not know what is digital out :mad:).

The Edirols would be used only when he is watching any movies .... either thru only LCD (normal cable transmission) or whence the DVD is used for the movies. Can it take the LCD audio out and the DVD audio (digital) out together? .... one working at a time. His query was 'does he need to remove one connection' when he is playing the other?

He ain't an audiophile .... and has put a smallish query for you (Hemant) to assist him taking a decision. He currently has an LCD and a DVD player at home, and wants to get good sound output in the room. Is it possible to connect 'separately' the LCD and DVD on to the Edirols .... His DVD 'should' have digital outs (not sure ... the bugger does not know what is digital out :mad:).

The Edirols would be used only when he is watching any movies .... either thru only LCD (normal cable transmission) or whence the DVD is used for the movies. Can it take the LCD audio out and the DVD audio (digital) out together? .... one working at a time. His query was 'does he need to remove one connection' when he is playing the other?

Even if digital out is not available on DVDp, the Edirols can still accept two line in inputs as you can see on the back panel of the speakers. One is a 3.5mm jack and the other one is standard RCA. There's an input selector knob on the front to choose the line in.

With some certainty I can say that 90% DVD has Co axial out . It is part of standard output. ( I was product head of DVD in 3 Years back.) Optical out was becoming a rarity .
What he can do

One RCA cable Single to DVD digital out and to Co Axial input of Edirol DVD may require some settings .This will form Line 1 . While playing simply make Line 2 volume to 0.DVD will play through digital.

Or for analogue inputs a 3.5 Mm to 2 RCA cable 3.5 mm to edirol 2 RCA to DVD out

One RCA L-R cable One end to TV L-R out another to Input 2 in Edirol. While playing simply make Line 1 volume to 0.

am again confused now :mad: :sad:

some have recommended these to me, saying these are much better than edirols due to the fact it doesnt compress bass via DSP, as the edirols do. the following has 6.5" woofer and dedicated 1" silk dome tweeters :

ModSynergy.com - Review 175 - Microlab SOLO-6 (2.0) Stereo Amplified Speaker System Review @ ModSynergy.com

Circle Arko 100W. Anyone tried these ?

getting these for 8k, by CIRCLE, rebranded as 'Arko'. 'freshseasons' at HFV recommended these to me rather than the edirols, and is going to review them soon here. he's recently got them via ebay.

I have heard the CIRCLE speakers form Arko.
I liked the quality of the sound but not quantity. I mean it was not going loud enough. However, I have heard it at Landscape in Bangalore & Vijay sales in mumbai. Both the places are noisy places. So the volume may be adequate for home use.
I dont think it accepts digital input.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back