Editing my signature

GeorgeO

Folks

I have been a bit shy about posting my signature, not wanting to appear "shouty" or "too bright" ( pun intended) but have decided to bite the bullet. Almost all of this was bought over the past 10 years and the fatigue factor has now started to set in.

I tried to upload a shorter version of this, but the signature cannot ( correctly) accommodate more than a specified number of characters. Any suggestions , from any of you gray haired guys out there, (or even young black haired babas) about how to summarize all of this?

The easiest thing to do is to modestly but baldly state, and which I will proceed to do:

Power amps, tube + ss=4, pre amps tube + ss=2, stand mounted monitors for audio only=2, floor standers for audio only=2, HT speaker system =1, DAC=1, powered subs=2. Video: AV receiver =1, projector=1, 37 inch HD LCD + Popcorn Hour with 3.5 TB storage, Squeezeboxes=2, NAS=1, UPS= online pure sinewave 3000VA.

My gear audio 2 channel is all wired up and running now unlike when we had the Bangalore Hifi summit in January, and is as follows:

1. System 1 in one bedroom:

2 channel audio-Logitech Squeeze Box, Grounded Grid Tube kit preamp from Transcendant Sound, AKSA ss power amp( an Australian kit) outputting 55wpc with Nirvana upgrade. My speaker system is a diy stand mounted system using very high end Scanspeak midwoofers and tweeters, the system is the 87 dB Eire, a design by Mike McCall of Shamrock Audio. Interconnect DH Labs Silversonic BL-1

This system has hardly been used, and I am now using it more or less non stop and am extremely pleased with the sound. The lows are excellent, and I may not need a sub here.

2. System 2 in my living room.

2.1 Audio, Source ( await new SB Duet), connected to a diy DAC from Audiosector, Canada, with one output connected to a 12 inch powered sub, using a single 12 inch ACI drivers and a single AES passive radiator and a 275 watts mono amp, and another set of outputs connected to a Class A 9wpc kit integrated tube amp from diyhifisupply, HK. The speakers are high sensitivity (95 dB)home made towers, using Fostex single drivers from a design by Bob Brines. A sub is essential here.

3. System 3 in my basement

2.1 audio using an Onkyo CD changer connected to a 28wpc (Spohia Electric) integrated tube amp using EL 34 tubes, and connected to a powered sub, with a Lambda Acoustics driver and dual passive radiators, who probably make the best sub drivers available, bar none. The sub is driven by a 250w ss plate amp from Keiga. The speakers are a high sensitivity 95 dB 2 way stand mounted MTM , (mid tweeter-mid), called the AriaR, a Joe D'Appolito design using high end Focal mids and Raven R1 tweeters. Interconnect: DH Labs Sliversonic BL-1

4.System 4

5.1 HT- Onkyo AV receiver, Panasonic projector, and homemade standmounted Audax HT speakers also designed by Joe D'Appolito a design which may still be available in the public domain.

Basement APC Smart UPS 3000 RT

The sub is the same as System 3, I have to wire them up in a way that allows me to use it while listening to System 3 or 4-both these systems are located in my basement, where work to create a HT room+ audio den+ lounge is still underway.

Other equipment- Welborne Labs V 70 power amp using EL 34s in a push pull design, currently not working ( under repair), Audio By Van Alstine Omega lll ss preamp with headphone amp, Sennheiser headphones, 37 inch BenQ HD LCD, Popcorn Hour, and maybe a few things here and there that I may have forgotten about! No immediate projects on hand except a couple of Pass F5s, not for my use.

In case anyone has any questions about any of the systems, I'll be glad to clarify.

Cheers

George

I personally think the signature does not distinguish the system in any way only telling us the quantity. The quantity can be probably had for as little as 100k. Your signature should tell us what stands out in your setup.

Just list a few items that stand out rather than list the quantity of all equipments.

OK the number of characters was still to high, so I kept chopping it down and here's what it will be :

I think you can make this post sticky and put a link to it in your signature. :)

Cheers

Any suggestions , from any of you gray haired guys out there, (or even young black haired babas) about how to summarize all of this?

Hi GeorgeO. I'm skinheaded, but I'll take a whack :)

How about this? 247 characters total. Cryptic as hell, but a max of 250 characters is tough when one has lots of boffo gear!

1: SqzBox,Pre=GGTube,Pwr=AKSA SS,Spk=DIY BS,IC=BL-1
2: SBDuet,DAC=Audiosector,Int=DIY ClassA,Spk=DIY FRSD FS,Sub=12"ACIact+psv
3: OnkyoCDP,IntAmp=Sophia w/EL34,Spk=AriaR MTM BS,Sub=Keiga w/act+dual psv
4: AVR=Onkyo,Prj=Panny,Spk=DIY Audax BS

Last edited:
OK the number of characters was still to high, so I kept chopping it down and here's what it will be :

hi george,

i think this does not do justice to your set up at all! the width of your fantastic diy is not coming through nor the next gen wireless system you have set up.

gobble's suggestion is a good one, have a link to this thread where you expand on your system and in your signature itself only highlight your diy projects name wise and wireless SB + NAS setup.

regards

edit: sqvare's done it perfectly! i was attempting it but he's cut it down much tighter

Last edited:
edit: sqvare's done it perfectly! i was attempting it but he's cut it down much tighter

Thanks, stevieboy! Unfortunately, it was 487 characters and when I tested it on my signature, 250 was the max allowed. So I went back and mangled it into the incomprehensible mess it is now :lol:

I do think GeorgeO's rigs would be better served by a photo collage and accompanied individual data sheets!

Thanks Gooble and sqvare for your suggestions..(forgot to include you skin headed guys out there!). Makes sense to create a thread with photographs and post a link.

Stevie, having a description with a photograph will better convey the sense, and I wont need to worry about the 250 ch limit..

Let me work on it. I need to take photographs of everything and then create a thread uploading all the photographs sequentially.

thekinge: all suggestions welcome, not necessarily restricted to babas;)

George

Thanks, stevieboy! Unfortunately, it was 487 characters and when I tested it on my signature, 250 was the max allowed. So I went back and mangled it into the incomprehensible mess it is now :lol:

I do think GeorgeO's rigs would be better served by a photo collage and accompanied individual data sheets!

Fully agree!

Thanks Gooble and sqvare for your suggestions..(forgot to include you skin headed guys out there!). Makes sense to create a thread with photographs and post a link.

Stevie, having a description with a photograph will better convey the sense, and I wont need to worry about the 250 ch limit..

Let me work on it. I need to take photographs of everything and then create a thread uploading all the photographs sequentially.

thekinge: all suggestions welcome, not necessarily restricted to babas;)

George

Hi George,

I think stevieboy and sqvare have given the perfect suggestions. Probably you can provide a description of your most important gear within the 250 character limit and provide a link to view your full gear like "View my full setup" at the end. That would provide a overview of your setup in the signature and those who are inclined to know fully can click on the link to view your complete setup.

Just to add, I also belong to the camp that it is better to let people know what we use for hi-fi / home theater so they can know if we also use the equipment which we are discussing.

Last edited:
GeorgeO;

Alternatively, you could also create a text summary of your gear, save it as a picture, upload it to Imageshack and then link to it from your signature. I tried it, it works fine.

For example:

39265576.gif

The advantage is you can go as fancy as you like with fonts, etc. and it'll still stay quite small & quick to display. The GIF above is <13KB.

Just another 2 paise clattering into your suggestions bowl :)

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back