Affordable Projector owners thread - Egate, Aun, Akey..etc.

arnprasad

Hi All,

I do see some threads on Egate projectors, but I did not see a dedicated owners thread. Given the extended periods of lock down expected and more people wanting to get into projectors, but not wanting to spend big bucks on branded ones, a dedicated thread will help them make the right decision.

Regarding my experience with projectors - I own an Acer 5360 which is 8-9 years old and used sparingly - around 3-4 times a month. I am very much impressed with the picture quality of this projector on a 120 inch screen although its only 720p.

As mentioned elsewhere in this forum, my kids have managed to destroy a wide range of gadgets since March from tablets to phones to LED Tvs. Since I wanted a large display to replace my TV at first floor, I thought a cheap projector should do the trick for occasional movie watching. I am an Aliexpress/Banggood/Gearbest bhakt when it comes to electronics(when begging my friends to get stuff from USA is not feasible). Now with the Pandemic and anti-China measures in place - I was checking out Amazon and Flipkart and only one affordable brand seems to rule the roost, claiming to be an Indian manufactured brand and all that. Given that some of the models have 4 star ratings by 100+ reviewers and also having good reviews on youtube and this forum - I felt happy that for once, I can buy something desi at reasonable prices.

Given my experience with Acer, I felt a 720p projector below 10K should do the trick. While I did not expect Egate to match Acer - I went with the analogy of 10-15K mid range Xiaomi phones vs 30-40K One plus phones. Having used both mid range Xiaomi phones and also phones with flagship processors like Nexus 5, Essential and now Redmi K20 - I was expecting Egate to perform like a Redmi 8 or 9.

I managed to haggle a 19K MRP ten month old Egate 531 for below 10K and bought it home today. To be fair to the person who sold me - he did mention that this projector is really bad compared to his Epson but I still went ahead as my expectations were very low

My initial thought of starting a thread was to tell people what a piece of crap this one is vis-a-vis my Acer. However I went through some of the threads of this particular model on this forum where people seem to be pretty happy with its performance and hence for now, will not rant - but would rather hear from people who have experienced this model to let me know what wrong I am doing.

1) Firstly I am not sure if Egate 531 is same as 513 - On the Amazon website - both are used interchangeably with the model claiming to have a mini computer inside it.
2) While my Acer is ceiling mounted and properly setup, the Egate was placed on a sofa and projected on the same screen.
3) My first impression is that the Egate does not even hold a candle to Acer. I am not even sure if this has 720p resolution as claimed
4) While some amount of calibration, focusing and proper physical setup will improve quality - I still do not think this will comes close to the Acer.
5) Also while the brand claims to made in India - the sticker on the box says this is an imported piece from China!!

Posting some pictures - one from Acer, one from Egate and one of the sticker.

Do let me know how I can make the picture quality better without buying additional calibration tools. My desktop is my HTPC.

First is Acer followed by Egate. In these photos it may seem like Egate video grab has more clarity when you look at the hair on his hands - but in real life - it looks really awful

Note: Pardon the bad english..no josh to edit this late in the day!

IMG_20200701_222111.jpg
IMG_20200701_222310.jpgIMG_20200701_223516.jpg

3.5 years ago I got an Egate i9 projector with native resolution of 800x600 for 6.5K (may be most cheapest in Amazon). Since I was not sure that whether a projector will suit to me or not, I spent it as token amount. But after these 3.5 years still it goes strong. If some one does not have any expectation to begin with, this should be a strong value for money product.

I use it along with Firestick/Chromecast and stream audio through HDMI to Digital converter and Bluetooth transmitter. Audio side I have a PM5005 Amp + Wharfedale Diamond 220 + Yamaha YST-315 Sub. This is doubled as Music + Mini home theater purpose. Awesome experience. Now I have plan to upgrade to Full HD.

Last edited:
i get it. I mean on its own its throwing a large image. So if all people want is a large image it does work. My gripe is more on the projector claiming to be 720p which it isnt. technically they may show me the pixels - but it is not even close to expectations.

But one thing for sure- for a poor country like ours where projectors are something only businesses or rich people used to own - these ones at such lower price points is definitely a god sent to middle class people who want to enjoy a large screen and wouldn't worry about resolution. All power to Egate - except they need to deliver closer to what they promise.

yeah and also this whole India vs china thing. Why import parts worth 50 dollars and sell a finished projector for 200 dollars? Shouldnt we rather import the projector for 70 dollars from china itself? This is atmanirbhar?

Last edited:
I live in Vijaynagar Bangalore..people are welcome to check out both projectors any time. I ordered a 120 inch Inlight two stand version for 7500..will get delivered in a weeks time.

Today I tweaked some settings on egate, also played the same video on Acer and egate on my new projector screen - similar physical set up...At least for my eyes, it's pretty clear. This egate aint 720p and is below average. Buy it only if you get a very good deal. Spending more than 10K on this is a pure waste of money. You may be better off with their 5K costing model - at least you aren't paying much.

If you have never had a projector in your house before - this may even pass. But if you are used to any branded ones...even at SVGA resolution - you will most probably be disappointed

Hi All,

I do see some threads on Egate projectors, but I did not see a dedicated owners thread. Given the extended periods of lock down expected and more people wanting to get into projectors, but not wanting to spend big bucks on branded ones, a dedicated thread will help them make the right decision.

Regarding my experience with projectors - I own an Acer 5360 which is 8-9 years old and used sparingly - around 3-4 times a month. I am very much impressed with the picture quality of this projector on a 120 inch screen although its only 720p.

As mentioned elsewhere in this forum, my kids have managed to destroy a wide range of gadgets since March from tablets to phones to LED Tvs. Since I wanted a large display to replace my TV at first floor, I thought a cheap projector should do the trick for occasional movie watching. I am an Aliexpress/Banggood/Gearbest bhakt when it comes to electronics(when begging my friends to get stuff from USA is not feasible). Now with the Pandemic and anti-China measures in place - I was checking out Amazon and Flipkart and only one affordable brand seems to rule the roost, claiming to be an Indian manufactured brand and all that. Given that some of the models have 4 star ratings by 100+ reviewers and also having good reviews on youtube and this forum - I felt happy that for once, I can buy something desi at reasonable prices.

Given my experience with Acer, I felt a 720p projector below 10K should do the trick. While I did not expect Egate to match Acer - I went with the analogy of 10-15K mid range Xiaomi phones vs 30-40K One plus phones. Having used both mid range Xiaomi phones and also phones with flagship processors like Nexus 5, Essential and now Redmi K20 - I was expecting Egate to perform like a Redmi 8 or 9.

I managed to haggle a 19K MRP ten month old Egate 531 for below 10K and bought it home today. To be fair to the person who sold me - he did mention that this projector is really bad compared to his Epson but I still went ahead as my expectations were very low

My initial thought of starting a thread was to tell people what a piece of crap this one is vis-a-vis my Acer. However I went through some of the threads of this particular model on this forum where people seem to be pretty happy with its performance and hence for now, will not rant - but would rather hear from people who have experienced this model to let me know what wrong I am doing.

1) Firstly I am not sure if Egate 531 is same as 513 - On the Amazon website - both are used interchangeably with the model claiming to have a mini computer inside it.
2) While my Acer is ceiling mounted and properly setup, the Egate was placed on a sofa and projected on the same screen.
3) My first impression is that the Egate does not even hold a candle to Acer. I am not even sure if this has 720p resolution as claimed
4) While some amount of calibration, focusing and proper physical setup will improve quality - I still do not think this will comes close to the Acer.
5) Also while the brand claims to made in India - the sticker on the box says this is an imported piece from China!!

Posting some pictures - one from Acer, one from Egate and one of the sticker.

Do let me know how I can make the picture quality better without buying additional calibration tools. My desktop is my HTPC.

First is Acer followed by Egate. In these photos it may seem like Egate video grab has more clarity when you look at the hair on his hands - but in real life - it looks really awful

Note: Pardon the bad english..no josh to edit this late in the day!

View attachment 46977
View attachment 46978View attachment 46980
Hi,
I am going to buy a projector for first time. Do i go for basic model of egate and then uograde to full hd ? Kindly advise. Basic model is around 6k native resolution and full hd is egate p531 around 18k inr.

Hi,
I am going to buy a projector for first time. Do i go for basic model of egate and then uograde to full hd ? Kindly advise. Basic model is around 6k native resolution and full hd is egate p531 around 18k inr.
Have a look at AUN AKEY6 Full HD Chinese projector available on Amazon. Good one for starters. If not, you need to invest upwards of 50K for DLP ones. Choice is yours. All the best.

Last edited:
Have a look at AUN AKEY6 Full HD Chinese projector available on Amazon. Good one for starters. If not, you need to invest upwards of 50K for DLP ones. Choice is yours. All the best.

Checked the video reviews and they are promising for such a low price(banggood priced it for 16K).

What's the selling price in India for this projector?! And how will be the after sale service be(if needed any help)?!

Checked the video reviews and they are promising for such a low price(banggood priced it for 16K).

What's the selling price in India for this projector?! And how will be the after sale service be(if needed any help)?!
Check directly from projectorstore.in for service and support. I took a risk and have purchased from Banggood for 13.2k in Feb and for the price, I have no regrets. As with all Chinese goods bought from AliExpress, Banggood or Gearbest, there is no warranty, that is the risk one has to take for the price. Personally for me, experience has been good so far with no failures on any products till date. All the best.

Hi,
I'd suggest you wait for a used projector ( 720p will do) from benq, or acer or epson to come on sale on the forum and pick that up instead of egate, the experience will be much better

I'd suggest you wait for a used projector ( 720p will do) from benq, or acer or epson to come on sale on the forum and pick that up instead of egate, the experience will be much better
Amen. See if you can get the Aun one for around 15-16K. I haven't seen that myself - but reviews seem to be good. Of course one cannot believe everything they say on Youtube - but from what I have seen on youtube it seems to be a better bet than egate. All of them are chinese imports ..so dont get fooled if any manufacturer is using patriotism to sell you crap. Thx

There is one shop called "Marus Electronic" in Secundrabad. Got to know about it from youtube. The link is as below:

As per them, they sell Indian made Projectors as well as Aun Projectors too. If needed, have a talk with them & decide further. As rightly said by many members, Egate projectors are not worth their price. Aun projectors have great reviews. But, they are not easily available in India.

P.S. I am not associated with Marus in any way.

Spoke to an authorized Aun distributor from Delhi listed on India mart. 14.5K for non android and 16.5 for android version. Will be good to hear from someone who has tested Aun and say a mainstream brand like Acer or Epson or Benq. 14.5K is a very good price for a 1080p projector if its 75% as good as a mainstream brand.

Last edited:
Spoke to an authorized Aun distributor from Delhi listed on India mart. 14.5K for non android and 16.5 for android version. Will be good to hear from someone who has tested Aun and say a mainstream brand like Acer or Epson or Benq. 14.5K is a very good price for a 1080p projector if its 75% as good as a mainstream brand.
Check out the below link for review of AKEY6. Hope this helps you in making a decision whether to purchase this or not. I cannot give a comparison decision as I have not owned any other projector. All the best.

Can you please share the number of the distributor. I am also looking to buy android version. Thanks.

Is that store legit? I came across the site while searching for AKEY6. Any personal experience buying from them?

Is that store legit? I came across the site while searching for AKEY6. Any personal experience buying from them?
The link I gave above..same one. If you google for Aun m18..their name comes up on india mart. They apparently are official Aun distributors in India with 6 months replacement guarantee or something like that. Please contact them. They sent me tons of photos including certificate from Aun. Whether to believe them or not..leave it to you. Given we cannot buy from Chinese websites - not sure what other alternatives we have apart from buying from these folks who seem to have enough stock. Thx

This one is comparison between the two. Not sure how legit though

Last edited:
Dear Forum Members,

This forum had helped me a lot in many things, while i set-up my high-end home audio setup, TV etc.. Seeing some recommendations, threads here i finally plunged to purchase E-GATE, i9 Model projector from Amazon. I liked it for the cost. Ok ok contrast and image quality. Unfortunately in one month of its usage, suddenly it stopped working. The Projector red light is not turning on and its totally dead. I am having the warranty card but i am unable to even contact E-Gate. I tried phone, E-mailed but no response. I am afraid if my purchase is gone as a waste with in one month.

Please shed your thoughts on what could have gone wrong, Is that anything i can try at home to revoke my projector or At least how do i get it serviced under warranty. I have not opened the unit because it might void the warranty.

Cheers!!!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back