Elac vs Jamo vs Dali - which is the best speaker?

Wharfedale Speakers

apoorvasheth

Hello All,

I presently use Harman Kardon HKTS 9 Satellite speakers connected to my Yamaha RX-V685 Amplifier. I am planning to upgrade the Center & Front - Right channel speakers since there is some issue with the Dialogue clarity level:

The Issue:

"Unfortunately, I have been facing an issue with these speakers. The dialogue (vocal) sound volume level from Center Speaker has gone quite low such that I am unable to hear the dialogues clearly especially when they whisper & speak very slowly. Voice feels muffled. Before, we were able to listen to all the dialogues Crisp & Clear even at -30 volume but now the situation is such that I have to take the volume level all the way till -13 to -12 in order to hear their dialogues clearly (especially their whispering). But now the biggest issue is that the moment there is a sudden background loud sound in the scenes, "A huge explosion of sound gets created by Subwoofer" in the living room which immediately forces me to bring the volume level down back to -28 but this again brings back the issue of low dialogue volume so again increase the volume & this cycle of Up - Down - Up - Down keeps repeating. My Mom is 69yrs & she finds such a high level of background sound very irritating, disturbing & shocking."

The Service of Harman Kardon has become rubbish. They are no longer offering a premium quality support to its end customers nor are the interested to listen or atleast read the complaint/escalation email sent to the chairman of Harman/Kardon. Such Worse their service have become. Harman Kardon are also asking for unreasonable charges.

So, now below are the speakers of Elac brand that I look forward to purchase:

Debut 2.0 Floor-standing Speaker (DF62)
https://www.elac.com/series/debut-2-0/f6-2/

1612150392510.png

And below Center Channel Speaker:

Debut 2.0 Center Channel Speaker (DC62)

1612150428662.png

1612150438504.png

What I am looking out from these above speakers are: The sound output while listening to music should be sweet. The action scenes which I see should have Punchy sound. The vocals (Dialogues delivery sound level) has to be absolutely Crisp & Clear even at lower sound volume such as -27. The sound of bullets or helicopter should be powerful as if the bullet has actually been shot inside my house or helicopter has in real passed from above my head.

This is how my Living room looks like:

1612150469397.png

So, please suggest your thoughts accordingly....I just want to ensure that I buy best speakers.

Also when Elac is compared with - Jamo & Dali, which are the best? I heard Dali offers very much premium speakers. Is Dali better then Elac?

Regards,
Apoorva.

alpha1

Your speaker tweeters are busted?
Or maybe some issue with the crossover components that cause low signal to tweeter and making the speaking sound muffled

argho

Hello All,

I presently use Harman Kardon HKTS 9 Satellite speakers connected to my Yamaha RX-V685 Amplifier. I am planning to upgrade the Center & Front - Right channel speakers since there is some issue with the Dialogue clarity level:

The Issue:

"Unfortunately, I have been facing an issue with these speakers. The dialogue (vocal) sound volume level from Center Speaker has gone quite low such that I am unable to hear the dialogues clearly especially when they whisper & speak very slowly. Voice feels muffled. Before, we were able to listen to all the dialogues Crisp & Clear even at -30 volume but now the situation is such that I have to take the volume level all the way till -13 to -12 in order to hear their dialogues clearly (especially their whispering). But now the biggest issue is that the moment there is a sudden background loud sound in the scenes, "A huge explosion of sound gets created by Subwoofer" in the living room which immediately forces me to bring the volume level down back to -28 but this again brings back the issue of low dialogue volume so again increase the volume & this cycle of Up - Down - Up - Down keeps repeating. My Mom is 69yrs & she finds such a high level of background sound very irritating, disturbing & shocking."

The Service of Harman Kardon has become rubbish. They are no longer offering a premium quality support to its end customers nor are the interested to listen or atleast read the complaint/escalation email sent to the chairman of Harman/Kardon. Such Worse their service have become. Harman Kardon are also asking for unreasonable charges.

So, now below are the speakers of Elac brand that I look forward to purchase:

View attachment 54295

And below Center Channel Speaker:

View attachment 54296

View attachment 54297

What I am looking out from these above speakers are: The sound output while listening to music should be sweet. The action scenes which I see should have Punchy sound. The vocals (Dialogues delivery sound level) has to be absolutely Crisp & Clear even at lower sound volume such as -27. The sound of bullets or helicopter should be powerful as if the bullet has actually been shot inside my house or helicopter has in real passed from above my head.

This is how my Living room looks like:

View attachment 54298

So, please suggest your thoughts accordingly....I just want to ensure that I buy best speakers.

Also when Elac is compared with - Jamo & Dali, which are the best? I heard Dali offers very much premium speakers. Is Dali better then Elac?

Regards,
Apoorva.

Advice from everyone will be try an audition, because speakers sound different, and peopel have different preferences.

From what you have mentioned - clarity and punch, higher snsitivity, Jamo may be the right match for you.

I have Dalis, and think they are great. But their forte is midrange.
Their centre channel VOKAL speakers are reputed to be really good for dialogue.

Elacs are also highly rated.

If this is mostly for movies, bookshelf speakers maybe a more sensible option.

Suggest also consider Q Acoustics.

And as I mentioned at the start, try an audition, so that you buy what you like.

apoorvasheth

Advice from everyone will be try an audition, because speakers sound different, and peopel have different preferences.

From what you have mentioned - clarity and punch, higher snsitivity, Jamo may be the right match for you.

I have Dalis, and think they are great. But their forte is midrange.
Their centre channel VOKAL speakers are reputed to be really good for dialogue.

Elacs are also highly rated.

If this is mostly for movies, bookshelf speakers maybe a more sensible option.

Suggest also consider Q Acoustics.

And as I mentioned at the start, try an audition, so that you buy what you like.

Thanks for your reply...Well for audition purpose, I have to travel to different cities across India. Not all authorized dealers have capacity to house all the speakers for demo. If not all then atleast its being expected that they have 1 Center Speaker, 1 Bookshelf speaker, 1 On Wall speaker but these people have all together different speakers of some different company & that too In-wall at times.

So it makes no sense to listen to something else & buy something else. I've approached the Sales Director of Dali Audio who looks after Asia Pacific region requesting for a home demo of the speakers I intend to purchase if possible but he too was unable to fulfil my request even though being a Sales Director which makes no sense.

JAMO : A345 for front / A320 ( SATELLITE ) for surround / s83 center - I had taken a demo of these but to be frank, these speakers greatly disappointed me. They were no better then my entry level Harman Kardon HKTS 9 speakers...My HKTS 9 total 5 speakers + Sub Woofer cost me Rs. 20,000/- & here only Jamo s83 cost Rs. 20,000/-.....even after being such expensive, these turned out to be "Useless" for the price if demands.

Elacs are also highly rated - You mean by High Rated means - "Best in Quality"?

These are my needs:

Songs - I want Sweet & Punchy sound

Horror movies - A sound that absolutely "Frightens me up" with sound absolutely real to like as if the Ghost is in my house

Action Movies - Strong punch & bass sound that places me right into the scene as if I am the one who is doing all action scenes.

80's & 90's songs - A very high quality Crisp & Clear sounds of Bells, Melodious, Chimes, and that feeling of going back into 80's & 90s...

Sports - The sound of Stadium, ball bounce, hitting the bat should be so real as if I am inside the stadium watching live & not in my house....my Sony TV is 65inch in size so the display will give me that feeling but it will be the sound that will artificially push me into the scenes....

Above all, the sound output should not create fatigue after listening to it for 45mins to an hour such that I feel like shutting it down & listen to via Sony TV's in-built speakers instead.

And these will be the content I'll watch on daily basis:

Indian Television Serials such as Tarakh Metha Ka Oolta Chasma, Indiawali Maa, CID, Aadalat, Tera Yaar Hoon Main on Sab Tv, music on MTV, E24, 9XM & The Golden Era with Anu Kapoor, Indian Idol, News Channels, History & National Geographic Channel, Movies on Star Gold, Zee Cinema, etc... then comes Movies (Both English & Hindi) via Amazon Prime, Eros now & Zee 5....Bollywood songs, Pop songs, 80's & 90s songs for my Mom to listen to via YouTube...& listen to Radio station as well...& play Mp3s via USB....

MaSh

Thanks for your reply...Well for audition purpose, I have to travel to different cities across India. Not all authorized dealers have capacity to house all the speakers for demo. If not all then atleast its being expected that they have 1 Center Speaker, 1 Bookshelf speaker, 1 On Wall speaker but these people have all together different speakers of some different company & that too In-wall at times.

So it makes no sense to listen to something else & buy something else. I've approached the Sales Director of Dali Audio who looks after Asia Pacific region requesting for a home demo of the speakers I intend to purchase if possible but he too was unable to fulfil my request even though being a Sales Director which makes no sense.

JAMO : A345 for front / A320 ( SATELLITE ) for surround / s83 center - I had taken a demo of these but to be frank, these speakers greatly disappointed me. They were no better then my entry level Harman Kardon HKTS 9 speakers...My HKTS 9 total 5 speakers + Sub Woofer cost me Rs. 20,000/- & here only Jamo s83 cost Rs. 20,000/-.....even after being such expensive, these turned out to be "Useless" for the price if demands.

Elacs are also highly rated - You mean by High Rated means - "Best in Quality"?

These are my needs:

Songs - I want Sweet & Punchy sound

Horror movies - A sound that absolutely "Frightens me up" with sound absolutely real to like as if the Ghost is in my house

Action Movies - Strong punch & bass sound that places me right into the scene as if I am the one who is doing all action scenes.

80's & 90's songs - A very high quality Crisp & Clear sounds of Bells, Melodious, Chimes, and that feeling of going back into 80's & 90s...

Sports - The sound of Stadium, ball bounce, hitting the bat should be so real as if I am inside the stadium watching live & not in my house....my Sony TV is 65inch in size so the display will give me that feeling but it will be the sound that will artificially push me into the scenes....

Above all, the sound output should not create fatigue after listening to it for 45mins to an hour such that I feel like shutting it down & listen to via Sony TV's in-built speakers instead.

And these will be the content I'll watch on daily basis:

Indian Television Serials such as Tarakh Metha Ka Oolta Chasma, Indiawali Maa, CID, Aadalat, Tera Yaar Hoon Main on Sab Tv, music on MTV, E24, 9XM & The Golden Era with Anu Kapoor, Indian Idol, News Channels, History & National Geographic Channel, Movies on Star Gold, Zee Cinema, etc... then comes Movies (Both English & Hindi) via Amazon Prime, Eros now & Zee 5....Bollywood songs, Pop songs, 80's & 90s songs for my Mom to listen to via YouTube...& listen to Radio station as well...& play Mp3s via USB....
That's a great wish list, however it's not always possible to have it all. There is always a compromise in some genre. What's your foremost priority? Movies or music? Which sub are you using? Single or dual subs? Etc are some of the questions that come to mind when choosing the right tune for the setup.

I see your location is Mumbai, so you have options to audition various setups. Also add Polk to your list to check. If your sub is capable, you could consider an all Polk OWM3 setup. They are like satelite and have lovely mids and highs. Moreover they are quite efficient speakers, something that cannot be said for the elacs.

MaSh

apoorvasheth

Ok, so finally I am deciding to go ahead with Elac Speakers & planning to purchase these:

&

The reason to select Elac over over its competitors such as Jamo, Klipsch, Dali, Wharfedale & the PATHETIC - Harman Kardon is b'coz Elac offers 3 years of Warranty on all of its speakers which other companies don't. And its service center is available right inside my city so if there is any problem with the speakers, atleast I can take it to the service center.

- Jamo - When I heard them, they were absolutely no better then my entry level Harman Kardon HKTS 9 speakers.

- Klipsch - When I auditioned this, its sound was such "HARSH" that it poked inside my ears.

- Wharfedale - While I haven't heard this speaker, its dealer is in another city, no authorized service center in my local city so I do not want to buy a speaker from a far off distance of another city spending so much of money & if god forbid anything happens to the speakers, then I have to call over their technician from another city which will cost me a lot post their 1 year of warranty. So I don't trust all of this post warranty issues.

- Dali - Same as Wharfedale, haven't heard this company's speakers & its Authorized dealer is based in another city so can't trust.

- Harman / Kardon - Last but not the least, this RUBBISH & 3RD CLASS CHEAP GRADE COMPANY - Harman Kardon. They turned out to be the WORSE when I came to acquiring of service post warranty period. I had bought their speakers in 2013 (HKTS 9) & a year ago, I moved to another city where Harman Kardon clearly mentioned in one of their email that they don't have a Harman experts so it needs to be bought back in the original city from where it has been bought. They are such downgrade company that the cost of transit from my present city to their city has to be paid by me else they are not ready to support me. They blacklisted my email id, their representative does not answer my phone calls or disconnects my call immediately upon 1 ring, when I leave a WhatsApp message, he blocks me on WhatsApp as well...I clearly told him why am I suppose to pay for the transit charges when Harman Kardon themselves admit of not having a Harman expert in my city so is that customer's fault or my only fault to trust in this CHEAP - Harman Kardon products. Can anyone here believe here such RUBBISH & 3rd Class behavior & service Harman Kardon has offered me. Not only this, I had escalated these entire concern to the Chairman of the Harman Kardon on his Gmail Email ID as well but he seems to be in no mood to reply. He decides to keep silence on the entire matter. Harman Kardon is no longer the charm company which it once used to be way ago in 2013 when I bought their Home Theatre package.

Anyway'z, continuing with my questions:
Also, I want to under what does this "Nominal impedance" mean? The person at the technical team of Yamaha Audio has said to make sure the speakers I buy has Nominal Impedance of 6 Ohms or above but if you notice in the picture below, it is mentioned that this speaker is suitable for Amplifiers between 4-8 Ohms:

1613100966995.png

So what is the truth?

Ramanuj

That the speakers can dip down to 4ohms. 4ohms or less 3.6 as mentioned in the brochure is considered a difficult load for less than perfect amplifiers.

apoorvasheth

That the speakers can dip down to 4ohms. 4ohms or less 3.6 as mentioned in the brochure is considered a difficult load for less than perfect amplifiers.
Oh, I see. I think what went wrong before is that my Harman Kardon Speakers were of "Entry Level" & this Yamaha RX-V685 Amplifier I bought was a Power Hungry.

As I can see on the HKTS 9 Specs:

1613103876900.png

The max Amplifier Power recommended is 80W & this Yamaha RX-V685 was never meant for these speakers so the Yamaha Audio representative who sold me this amplifier didn't tell me that I need to upgrade the speakers as well. Beyond that, his person who visited my house with the Amplifier did not even bother to do a proper Speaker to Amplifier calibration & DB + Wattage settings. As a result, right in a year's time, the Center channel speaker blown off & possibly the Front right as well. So that's when I started to face the issue of lack of clarity on dialogue delivery which otherwise I never had to even at -26 volume when Harman Kardon AVR 170 was hooked up to these HKTS 9 speakers.

Anyway'z, can everyone please tell me compared to Dali & Wharfedale, are ELAC the best considered b'coz I haven't heard either of them since the local dealers don't have a demo speakers of the one mentioned above or the ones' I am interested in.

Bloom@83

You can be rest assured , Elac’s Debut series (both the original as well as second generation) sound way , way above their price point and are significantly better than either of those two brands in similar price bracket. In fact they sound better than twice the price of speakers from QAcoustics or Dali if they are driven by good stereo amplifiers.

apoorvasheth

You can be rest assured , Elac’s Debut series (both the original as well as second generation) sound way , way above their price point and are significantly better than either of those two brands in similar price bracket. In fact they sound better than twice the price of speakers from QAcoustics or Dali if they are driven by good stereo amplifiers.
Thanks for your review. This bring in some confidence within that I haven't taken a wrong decision...:)

apoorvasheth

Hello All! I need help please. I am finally planning to upgrade my existing Harman/Kardon HKTS 9 speakers to Elac Debut 2.0 Series speakers. I presently use Yamaha RX-V685 Amplifier. I am planning to buy Debut 2.0 Floorstanding Speaker (DF62) & Debut 2.0 Center Channel Speaker (DC62). I have enclosed pictures of both of these speakers & its specifications & request you to kindly take a close look at them.

Could you please confirm whether these Elac speakers - DC62 (Center Channel) & DF62 (Floorstanding) "are Completely Safe to use with my Yamaha RX-V685 Amplifier" & that it won't damage my amplifier or, the Yamaha Amplifier won't damage the Elac Speakers

Also kindly advise me what care I need to take while playing from these speakers & what will be the max volume that I can play any content at?

Also, am I making a good choice? Are these Elac speakers I have chosen a very good speakers that can output premium sound quality? Will my Yamaha RX-V685 Amplifier make the best usage out of these Elac speakers?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Attachments

• DC62 Center Channel Specs.JPG
    DC62 Center Channel Specs.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DF62 Specs.JPG
    DF62 Specs.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Elac DC62 Center Speaker.JPG
    Elac DC62 Center Speaker.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Elac DF62 (Floorstanding).JPG
    Elac DF62 (Floorstanding).JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Yamaha RX-V685 Specs.jpeg
    Yamaha RX-V685 Specs.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 9

Pratyush J

Hi @apoorvasheth, I owned Elac 5.2 paired up with Yamaha R-N303 for many years. You can read through my review here. Elac plus Yamaha was good, but nothing great. I have recently purchased indiqaudio towers and their amp and honestly they are performing at par with many branded ones I have auditioned which were priced at 1.5 - 2X of indiqaudio's price. The review contains my entire journey and feedback on various combos I have auditioned. There are lot of FMs who have bought indiqaudio's products and have put in great reviews about their products

apoorvasheth

Hi @apoorvasheth, I owned Elac 5.2 paired up with Yamaha R-N303 for many years. You can read through my review here. Elac plus Yamaha was good, but nothing great. I have recently purchased indiqaudio towers and their amp and honestly they are performing at par with many branded ones I have auditioned which were priced at 1.5 - 2X of indiqaudio's price. The review contains my entire journey and feedback on various combos I have auditioned. There are lot of FMs who have bought indiqaudio's products and have put in great reviews about their products
Yes, but what about these Elac speakers:

1) https://www.elac.com/series/debut-2-0/c6-2/

2) https://www.elac.com/series/debut-2-0/f6-2/

Have you used these?

apoorvasheth

You need not worry. Your speakers or Amp won't damage each other. What you are buying is common pairing.
Ok. Someone else on another Home Theatre Forum also replied:

"
1. An HTIB sub might hit 35Hz on a good day. A real subwoofer will easily extend down to 20Hz or 25Hz, the more robust ones go even lower into the "felt" bass range. And it will NOT give you a "headache" if it's set up properly and is a decent sub not a one-note boom-boom-boom fartbox like what you often see in cheap car subs.

2. Your dealer's income depends on his SALES COMMISSION which is a PERCENTAGE of the total sale. Guess which speakers cost a lot more and put more of your money into his pocket, towers or bookshelves? I'd trust that guy as far as you can throw him.

3. During movies, up to 80% of the total HT output comes out through the center speaker. It does 98% of the dialogue yes, but also at least 50% of the front sound effects. The front L/R speakers mainly do theme music and the occasional front spatial effects, like a car zooming from the left to the right side of the screen. The only FUNCTIONAL benefit of towers is that they have higher sensitivity so they can play a lot louder, if you want to annoy your neighbors. If you listen at more typical 60-75db levels, the only reason to get them is if you prefer their LOOKS.

ELAC would not be my first choice for HT speakers. Don't believe all the online shill reviews of them.

In India, your best bet for HT speakers would be the JBL Stage A series, followed by the Polk Signatures. For subwoofers, the Polk HTS-12 is the one reasonably priced decent option."

Well, the question is, what % of YOUR usage do you anticipate will be 2-channel music listening?

Second question is, during that music listening, how LOUD do you anticipate playing? If you aspire to shake the walls during big parties then ok, go ahead and buy towers. If you listen in the more typical 60-75db range, bookshelves will be fine.

And if you have a decent subwoofer in play, the extra bass advantage of towers becomes irrelevant.

So make sure that your whole purchasing plan is based on an honest appraisal of YOUR personal usage habits, not a bunch of useless "what if" theoretical situations the dealer has pulled out of his backside in order to squeeze more money out of you.

ssf

@apoorvasheth

Thought I will share my thoughts too since I get the feeling that your prior experience has left you quite shaken.

3 years guarantee on the speakers should not be a criteria to decide which speakers to buy. For most speakers of reputed brands, the only way in my opinion that your could damage it is by using it with a low powered amp and driving the amp beyond its means continuously which might cause tweeter damage.

Driving these speakers with high power amps will probably damage your ears before they can damage the speakers. To give you an example, I have powered my Quad S-2 center channel speaker with 1500 watts as a test and I never felt the speakers straining even at high volumes for brief periods of time.

For your room, I really think that you will be better served with bookshelf speakers of the brand of your choice on stands, a good center channel speaker and a good sub in your budget. In my opinion, the center channel and the sub are two of the most important speakers for HT. With my Wharfdale D 225 bookshelves, I have never felt the need for a sub for two channel music in my 26 by 10 feet living with open dining and kitchen.

My friend recently purchased a 7.1 80 watt per channel Denon receiver which he is using in a big room (at least 20/20 feet) with a Cerwin Wega sub and tiny bose speakers and he is loving the sound. The speakers you are considering will sound quite a lot better than the bose that my friend has.

Last edited:

apoorvasheth

How is this Center Channel Speaker >>>

1613799403781.png

compared to this one >>>

1613799423598.png

...and which one will have a Crystal Clear & Sharp Vocal Clarity & premium sounds effects? Will these work well with my Yamaha RX-V685 Amplifier?

Yogesh

No Where Near to where I want to be yet...
Ok. Someone else on another Home Theatre Forum also replied:

"
1. An HTIB sub might hit 35Hz on a good day. A real subwoofer will easily extend down to 20Hz or 25Hz, the more robust ones go even lower into the "felt" bass range. And it will NOT give you a "headache" if it's set up properly and is a decent sub not a one-note boom-boom-boom fartbox like what you often see in cheap car subs.

2. Your dealer's income depends on his SALES COMMISSION which is a PERCENTAGE of the total sale. Guess which speakers cost a lot more and put more of your money into his pocket, towers or bookshelves? I'd trust that guy as far as you can throw him.

3. During movies, up to 80% of the total HT output comes out through the center speaker. It does 98% of the dialogue yes, but also at least 50% of the front sound effects. The front L/R speakers mainly do theme music and the occasional front spatial effects, like a car zooming from the left to the right side of the screen. The only FUNCTIONAL benefit of towers is that they have higher sensitivity so they can play a lot louder, if you want to annoy your neighbors. If you listen at more typical 60-75db levels, the only reason to get them is if you prefer their LOOKS.

ELAC would not be my first choice for HT speakers. Don't believe all the online shill reviews of them.

In India, your best bet for HT speakers would be the JBL Stage A series, followed by the Polk Signatures. For subwoofers, the Polk HTS-12 is the one reasonably priced decent option."

Well, the question is, what % of YOUR usage do you anticipate will be 2-channel music listening?

Second question is, during that music listening, how LOUD do you anticipate playing? If you aspire to shake the walls during big parties then ok, go ahead and buy towers. If you listen in the more typical 60-75db range, bookshelves will be fine.

And if you have a decent subwoofer in play, the extra bass advantage of towers becomes irrelevant.

So make sure that your whole purchasing plan is based on an honest appraisal of YOUR personal usage habits, not a bunch of useless "what if" theoretical situations the dealer has pulled out of his backside in order to squeeze more money out of you.
The other forum being international, You need to consider India specific pricing/availability. Elac would be the brand to go between Elac/Jamo/Klipsch.