Eliminating corner bass boom

pguy

Hello guys,

I'm looking at picking up FS speakers. I demoed the Spendor A5s at my home and found that one of the speakers which was in the corner (near both the side and rear walls) caused quite a bit of bass boom. What kind of treatments might be required to reduce this booming effect?

I realize the placements of the speakers are sub optimal, but no choice in moving it around. The speaker is 1ft from the rear walls and around 6 inches from the side one.

Suggestions?

i am not sure what you can do here. as long as the speakers are there, corner gain will be there. you can change the idea of a5 as it has a separate driver for bass. go for sealed 2way speakers, maybe bookshelves. whats ur room size.

Listening area is 8ft x 20ft. Room is 3x larger. Bookshelves don't have any kind of slam needed for HT. So not going towards bookshelves. Right now looking for ways to manage the corner boom - if not possible, will see what else is possible

One of the ways is to keep bass traps on all the corners - if this is not possible at least try to keep the traps on the corner which is behind the speakers, Also do some basic acoustics on the first reflection and second reflection points. Adding a carpet may take some unwanted bass. There are very good writings on gikacoustics.com and there are very good products available from anutone India, which you can use to make bass traps etc.,

regards

IMHO keeping a tower speaker in a room with a width of just 8' is a sure recipe for disaster AFA SQ is concerned and keeping those speakers close to the side and rear walls and trying to reduce bass boom is like eating oily and spicy food and taking antacid pills to counter the acidity. ;)

As a previous poster suggested, I suggest that you go for book shelfs and add a sub for LFE.

captrajesh, the listening area is 8' wide, the room is easily twice that. But placement forces me to keep em a max of 8' away. So while one speaker gets the corner, the other pretty much gets all the space in the world and is not near any sidewall.

I've demoed a ton of BS/FS - but cadence ended up bringing up the speakers to my home for an at home demo. The corner boom was the only botheration. If I could solve it in some form, I'd take that over going over to a BS.

Reducing bass boom is not just about treatment..it is also about placement of the speakers as well as the listening position.
can you post a pic about the current setup/config in the room ?

try to google the Cardas method as well as the Audio Physics speaker placement method for calculating placement of speakers.

Typically, bass traps remove lower midbass as they work across a frequency range..and that can make the sound a bit colder/sterile.

taking the speakers into the room, away from the corners can reduce the boom...but from what i have experienced, most of the boom is not really due to corners...it is due to standing waves formed due to the floor to ceiling ..one way of testing is to keep a cardboard box full of clothes/books in the corner and see if there is a reduction in the boom. if there is, addition of a a small pillow on the upper corner as well might just do the trick

anyway do post pics else we will get too theoretical ;)

Last edited:
Can you post a photo / a drawing of the layout of the room? Since the room length is 20ft and width 8ft, the better option is to reduce the sitting position / distance from the speakers. Also if there is no door near the equipment wall, make an acoustic transparent wall with a gap of 1ft or 1'6" (for bass trap at the corners) and do the acoustics inside so that the aesthetics wont get affected. Also you can treat the first reflection points for mid/high freqs. You dont have to do any specific treatment for the rear walls except the corners (considering you have lot of space left at the backside), else you can also think about another acoustic transparent wall at the back side.

cmsajith, arj - I think a photo will do best. I'll shoot a pic later in the evening and share.

Thanks a bunch :)

Back