Emotiva Amps - Advice needed

bharathsolomon

Hi friends

I am new to the forum.

I am interested in buying Emotive XPA-5

What is cost of XPA -5 and what was your shipping/duty cost apart from that.
Is it cheaper to ship using the borderlinx/DHL combo than the Emotiva's Fedex combo.

I heard there is a dealer in Bangalore who sells Emotiva. is it cheaper to buy from him than shipping from US.

is it possible for someone travelling from US to India to bring it along with him or her. what are the charges incurred by that mode as the equipment weight is more than the allowed limit. will there be customs duty while bringing it with them.

and are Emotive speakers good or can we buy other better combinations in India itself which may be cheaper

cheers

Bharath

Bharath

AFAIK they only sell online in the US, so you will need to use Bordelinx. Santhosh bought a preamp processor the UMC 1 and I have an older gen, preowned LMC 1 which I am just setting up-I bought it in my checked in baggage. A power amp isn't light, and the second checked in bag normally is chargeable at $100 or thereabouts, depending on the airline.(AI may allow 2 bags)

thanks George,

If the amp XPA -5 is around 30-40 kgs. is that allowed part of checked in luggage. what will be the duties charged in the Indian airport while arriving.
is borderlinx reliable or aramex

Bharath

I have bought XPA-5 and UMC-1 from emotiva. They do sell internationally and send it through Fedex. You either need to do fund transfer or pay using paypal.

The cost was

XPA-5 $899.00
Freight $275.26 FedEx Economy
Total $1174.26

It reached without any issues. Since I bought 2 items together the freight cost was same a sabove (additional cost of freight for UMC-1 was minimal). It is better to buy multiple items so that the increase in freight is not significant.

Customs will be extra, around 26% of above cost (unit cost + freight).

Thank you Hassan and Zoony for your advice

is there a way someone coming from US can carry it along with them.will this mode reduce costs.

Hassan, regarding Oppo 95 is it better than 93. what are the differences.
is 93 ok or the $500 extra in oppo 95 worth it.
and how did you unblock the oppo 95 for Indian usage

I am also planning to buy Emotive speakers too. they are quite heavy:eek:hyeah:

Do you think they are VFM or its better to buy other speakers with lesser landing cost in India itself. If yes please suggest speakers !!!

Many Thanks in Advance

Bharath

shipping costs given by emotiva- pl see if this VFM OR IF I CAN GET BETTER EQUIVALENTS IN INDIA FOR LESSER PRICE

Shipment 1:

(2x) ERT-8.3
$1199.00

Freight
$584.29

Total
$1783.29

Shipment 2:

ERM-6.3
$399.00

X-Ref 12 Sub
$629.00

Freight
$405.50

Total
$1433.5

Shipment 3:

UMC-1
$499.00

ERD-1
$249.00

Freight
$234.09

Total
$982.09

Hi Folks,

I have Denon 3312 AVR (125 Watts X 7 @ 8 Ohmns) driving the Polk RTi A9's Currently. I am contemplating picking up a Power Amp. What would be more appropriate between XPA 2 and XPA 5 if i need to use it for music?

Please advise

Bharat - Cheaper and better options would be to use Borderlinx or Aramex. Search the forum for details. Based on the volumetric weight and price, you calculate the shipping and custom prices. Since they do door to door delivery incl. handling customs, its a much safer option.

oll42 - XPA2 is a fairly high end amp from emotiva for music but will be restrictive. XPA 5 will give you more flexibility to play music and movies.
I am not really sure, the Polk's need that kind of amplification, but then its your money :)

Bharat -
oll42 - XPA2 is a fairly high end amp from emotiva for music but will be restrictive. XPA 5 will give you more flexibility to play music and movies.
I am not really sure, the Polk's need that kind of amplification, but then its your money :)

Bharat - Thanks for your inputs. The RTI A9's are 500 watts speakers and I have read in many forums that you need real power to really make these speakers sing. I don't want to take any hasty decisions which I would regret later. So seeking advice from the forum members

Hi

I am getting the following quotation for Emotiva speakers. The below mentioned is without the customs/duty charges. Please let me know if Emotive speakers are worth the price of shipping here to India or we can get equal or better speakers for lesser price here.

(2x) ERT-8.3= $1199.00 ( pair of floor standing speakers)
Freight= $584.29
Total= $1783.29

Shipment 2:

ERM-6.3 =$399.00 ( to be used as centre speaker )
X-Ref 12 Sub =$629.00 ( sub woofer)
Freight= $405.50
Total = $1433.5

Shipment 3:

UMC-1= $499.00
ERD-1 = $249.00 ( pair of surrounds)
Freight = $234.09
Total= $982.09

Hi Folks,

I have Denon 3312 AVR (125 Watts X 7 @ 8 Ohmns) driving the Polk RTi A9's Currently. I am contemplating picking up a Power Amp. What would be more appropriate between XPA 2 and XPA 5 if i need to use it for music?

Please advise

If you like the polk sound, then emo is the way to go. for the Rti-a9, you definitely need a lot more power than the denons will give out.. esp in a 5.1 configuration. the a9 series are not super efficient like klipsch or paradigm, so they can always use more power.

Hi Folks,

Please advise

Definitely XPA2

the new Gen2 XPA2 is a real gem. far less noise than the gen1.

do let us know what you decide

Last edited:
The OP started the thread way back in 2011 and Spiro just listed the new AVR from Emotiva and we are following by giving suggestions :lol:

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back