Emotiva Basx A300 Power Amplifier

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38504

ROTM.jpg

Price : 35k

Bought from Mr. Darius Kotwal who owns Total Home Theatres in Mumbai.

Amp arrived from Delhi from Acoustic Arts who are the official distributors of Emotiva.

The packaging is solid cardboard. The amp was inside in a nice black kind of cloth for protection. It's exactly 17 inches in width. Weighs about 11.5 kgs. Guess what? My marantz SR6009 (functions as my preamp) is also 17 inches and weighs the same! Coincidence?? NOT!

Feels solid and heavy. Finishing is top quality. Running the amp for 3 hours continuously and it's cool, forget warm. It's just cool. Ofcourse I was listening to music and watching TV at moderate home volumes so maybe that's why.

It's connected via preout from my SR6009 and a trigger. Which means, when I put my marantz off, the emotiva goes into standby mode. I like that.

First impressions of sound. Music. Familiar to my ears kind of music. There is a marked difference which my old ears can make out. Firstly vocal was deeper and chestier. Sounds from small instruments like guitar and violin are more pluckier. Maybe it's just a psuedo effect. I don't know. We heard the same songs again without the amp. The reference volumes were the same. No difference in loudness. But now, without the amp, the music sounded flatter. It's a very tiny and subtle difference which can be made out on familiar songs. Otherwise one can't make out the difference.

Movies. I don't know. I haven't gone crazy loud volumes. Can't really make out much difference.

Overall I'm satisfied. It's 35k well spent. A good product, good brand, and a gentleman in Darius to deal with. The price is unbeatable.

Few pics attached.

IMG-20180405-WA0027.jpgIMG-20180405-WA0026.jpgIMG-20180405-WA0028.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha I've only got two amps now man. The marantz and the emotiva. Nothing else. :D

Ok so note, there is no change in the tone of the music.I’m not suddenly getting warm lush acoustic soundstage.... or whatever.It’s still playing through the Marantz preout. It’s a small little 150 watt power amp, not a Macintosh ;) listening to some dire straits and led zeppelin. Only cleaner music with happy passages of music.And it feels like my tiny bookshelves have suddenly become large. Feels like a lot of base is coming from the bookshelves when in reality it’s not. It’s coming from the sub.

Congratulations and thanks for disclosing the price that too at the top of review. It is going to benefit others including me. 35k is a good pricing as it is showing 41k in htstore.

Pardon my grammar. What I meant to say was my sub now does not seem localised. Earlier I felt I could hear and feel where the lows were coming from. With the Emotiva, I think it’s giving a slight kick to the bookshelves. So they seem bigger in sound. Just a tad bit.

Derek. As you are using marantz as pre did you try any power amp of marantz. I find MM7025 is a good combo with SR series. May be expensive than Basx 300.

That's twice the cost of the emotiva I got. Plus it's not that many watts more. And anyways, I just feel all the avrs have slightly inflated watts anyways. Marantz, denon etc all do that.

Ahh finally its up on the forum. Thats one beast connected to another. You got a deadly combination now. Just see that the speakers can handle all the power.

Does the Sub have speaker level inputs? If yes, then routing the speaker cable via the Sub to the speakers will give you an even more integrated feel.

How is the front channel setup in the receiver? Large or Small? Crossover?

Man itching to come over and have a listen, before I go down the same route ;).

MaSh

@MaSh come over anytime on Ur visit man. Fronts are on 60 or 80 depending on how I feel.

Bookshelves are set to small.

Easy peasy setup no complications.

Congrats buddy for the new beast. Hope it wont land in for sale soon (joke)

I keep what I like. What I don't like or doesn't suit me after my impulse buy, I sell. But this, is something that looks good, sounds good and is right on the money.

Congratulations. Good choice and a good deal. After a week or so, Go back to the marantz amplifier and see how the difference looks huge. Enjoy.

Thank u Uday. That's a good idea. Might just do that for a comparison. It's also made my internet radio much more enjoyable for music while having some rum in the evenings.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back