Emotiva XPA Gen 3 amplifiers - worth the price or not?

kissenchand

I'm trying to enter a whole new world of power amps. Initially I had chosen to pair my avr to the mighty Emotiva XPA 5 Gen 2 for my 50% music & 50% movies need. But since emotiva discontinued them, new model is to be selected. Emotiva has just launched XPA Gen 3 modular SMPS based amps configurable from 2 to 7 channels. Initially, I'm considering 3 channels. Since there is no chance to audition, I'll have to take a blind decision. So I'm requesting the gurus to enlighten me about this matter.

Last edited:
Emotiova products are generally considered as VFM, I have no experience with their amps but I use their Stealth DC-1 DAC, the DAC can measure up to DACs double its price.

In general as I said their products are well thought of.

I have spent time with a XPA5 and if this amplifier is any indication of the quality of power, the next generation should be an eyes closed purchase. They are excellent power amplifiers. One would also think that there can only be short comings considering their price point but there isn't. They are excellent power amplifier suitable for music and movies.

XPA Gen 2 use linear (transformer based) power supply. But Gen 3 use SMPS. Though the SMPS is lightweight and offer good performance, their durability in Indian conditions may be a question. Recollect how many times you had to replace PS of desktop computer. Is there anyone using a SMPS based amp for 5 years or more?

Recollect how many times you had to replace PS of desktop computer. Is there anyone using a SMPS based amp for 5 years or more?
I had to change my PC powersupply after 10years(may be more).
It depends on parts and how its made.I had VIP gold 400 SMPS which lasted 10+

Thanks for sharing valuable info. But not so many are lucky as you! Actually Indian power utilities are usually not known for supplying clean power. Lots of noises, spikes, sudden big changes in voltage are very common, coupled with very humid weather conditions. Many SMPS die due to those reasons. BTW I am in search for a user of SMPS based amp.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back