EMT 938 pictures

anilva

I have recently acquired an EMT 938 turntable (bought through an advt on quikr) from Delhi. It is transported to Bangalore and cleaned and setup fresh. All the bearings have been re-lubed and adjusted. The item is in very good shape, barring few nicks. This must be atleast 20+ years old but it so well built that it is still in prime condition.

I have a new TSD-G headshell with a new DL-103 cartridge ready to be mounted after few surgical procedures.

Here are few initial pictures. Will soon post additional pictures after everything else is setup.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_1352.jpg
    IMG_1352.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_1354.jpg
    IMG_1354.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_1355.jpg
    IMG_1355.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 364
Anil, Looks really good.I am sure you will get it singing soon and I can come and have a listen......

Nice pics Anilva, your EMT is looking like it just came out of a factory. Seems like this was sourced from AIR as MELTRON was their supplier and branded the EMTs accordingly. Can you enlighten us on the lube you've used. Need to lube my Technics SL3200. Thanks.

@anilva: excellent restoration!

what do you about the phono stage??? its a MM one at the moment.... isn't it?

hi anilva,
Congrats on aGreat job !
apparently a lot of broadcast EMTs were "Modified" for broadcast only by filtering out the HF and LF usually around the transformer and phono stage. since you are a DIY guru, were you able to spot if this was true or not ?

hi anilva,
Congrats on aGreat job !
apparently a lot of broadcast EMTs were "Modified" for broadcast only by filtering out the HF and LF usually around the transformer and phono stage. since you are a DIY guru, were you able to spot if this was true or not ?

Usually HF/LF roll-off is factored only for sources used in MW, LW and SW broadcasting, not really the case with FM. However, as this TT looks like it has been sourced from AIR, it may be worth a look.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments. It does look in good shape.

I have first cleaned the existing bearing oil with isopropyl alcohol and then completed cleaned before using just about the right amount of Meritt sewing machine oil. It is a very light mineral oil and works quite well on turntables and tonearms.

I have also cleaned up the entire innards of the TT as well. One of these days I will replace the elctrolytics etc of the control boards. Right now the head preamp is a MM. For the moment I will not probably use the built in preamp, but take the tonearm output directly to my existing Yamaha preamp which has a very good MC input. I will soon build Sachin's CNC MC preamp and check that out as well. Another option is to do a MC stepup transformer. There are some excellent ones including EMT make available. Buying an EMT MC board for the 938 is another option.

One of the things I need to figure out is to get a dust cover done in Perspex. Don't know the sources yet.

Once I find time, I will fit the DL103 in the TSD head shell and then try the TT. Will keep you guys posted. I definitely intend to buy a TSD15 cartridge, but I am just struggling to find time to complete too many unfinished projects.

Cheers.

Anilva: superb restoration.

For cover, you may like to talk to issigonis who's also trying to get one made for his 938.

Hi Anilva

I do not have a cover. In fact EMT gives a velvet cloth with their logo to cover the table. I use normal cloth and have never had any problems. Stefano i think uses a Hermes scarf.

The dust cover shown in cybervinay's post doesn't look to be a regular perspex cover, but done in a four poster wooden frame.

@prem, velvet is good idea. Can be easily obtained. We can do cashmere shawl instead of a Hermes scarf :)

Cheers.

In case you run fans when playing your TT, the dust cover also protects arm tracking from air movement in the room.

Two people I must thank on this journey is Prem and Rajiv. They have gone out of their way to help me. But for this forum, it would not have happened.

Cheers.

Hi Anil,

Wonderful restoration. The TT looks like new and really neat and beautiful. I am sure it will sound as good. I am also eager to know the answer of the question arj asked a few posts ago.

A dustcover is not difficult to get made. You can get it done locally. My 23 year old Dual CS5000 TT came with a dustcover when I bought it new. For my Scheu TT, magma made one for me (picture here: http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/19786-my-new-tt-cello-scheu-analog-20.html#post306793), but I suppose he does not want to make any for out-of-Bombay people, because he had to take the trouble of making a wooden carton and ship to me.

Regards.

Hi Anil,

Wonderful restoration. The TT looks like new and really neat and beautiful. I am sure it will sound as good. I am also eager to know the answer of the question arj asked a few posts ago.

A dustcover is not difficult to get made. You can get it done locally. My 23 year old Dual CS5000 TT came with a dustcover when I bought it new. For my Scheu TT, magma made one for me (picture here: http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/19786-my-new-tt-cello-scheu-analog-20.html#post306793), but I suppose he does not want to make any for out-of-Bombay people, because he had to take the trouble of making a wooden carton and ship to me.

Regards.
arj/Asit,

Thanks for your comments. As far as I have checked the boards and circuits on the EMT, they are absolutely the original boards and components. Untouched or modified by anyone. Therefore I do not believe that there has been any HF or LF mod that has been done to the MM circuit board. In any case, when I am bypassing the board for MC this is a moot point.

I am trying to do a dust cover if possible, otherwise will go with what Prem is doing.

Cheers.

Nice restoration Anilva. Is turntable cleaned inside out. Would also love to see inards. Thanks.

Dust Covers : I know Audiophiles dont listen with dust cover on but rubbing surfaces generates static and attracts dust. Still if one is worried about sound quality and listens at high volume and turntable is in vicinity of speakers one can listen with thick double folded napkin over the dustcover having tiny-miny rubber feet.
Also dust cover looks good on turntables.. a visual treat... like in movies where they show precious jewels in glass enclosures :eek:hyeah:
Regards

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back