Enbee Designer Speakers made by Mr Nakra of ENBEE New Delhi in 1990s Vintage as company now closed

goget

I own lovely vintage Enbee Model Designer Series Speaker Systems 100 Watts RMS made by Mr Nishi Nakra of ENBEE , New Delhi in the 1990s - 2speakers bottom unit and 2speakers top unit total 4 units details as below :

DRIVERS:
One Enbee 12 inch Woofers housed in one enclosure unit
Two Enbee 4 inch Midrange units } housed in another enclosure unit
Four Enbee 3 inch Tweeters} do
Four Enbee 2 inch Tweeters} do

FREQUENCY DIVIDING NETWORK with optimiser- 7 way.
DUCTED PORT BASS REFLEX
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 20 Hzs to 20 KHz.
ONE ENERGY CONTROL EACH FOR MID RANGE & TWEETER UNITS
POWER HANDLING - 100 WATTS.
Kindly can any forum member tell me what price I will get if I decide to sell these speakers in good condition only the mesh on wood grill needs change. Thanks

It would be great if you can post some pics. Norge, Sonodyne, HMV (later EMI Sonic), Philips, BPL, Enbee, Bevox, Cosmic, Arphi, Pulz, Murphy, Bush, Nelco, Ahuja, Keltron (yes Ahuja and Keltron did have a line of stereo equipment), Meltron (with their EMT turntables and studio reel decks) etc are a part of Indian audio history. Nice to relive some of those memories.

Probably one of the best amplifier and speaker manufacturers in that period of time which received good reviews.I have heard that they are hand made though I am not sure of that. Mr.Nakra used to provide service to his products even after he stopped his manufacturing activities.Sad that none from his family is there to carry on the tradition.

This reminds me so much of a Mumbai based designer ( yes - mumbai based speaker designer and manufacturer ) in Bandra who emigrated to Australia -.... i dont get the name

they worked with 2.0 or 2.2 systems

frankly - i should have bought those and stayed happy but those days the "brand" hunting was the norm for me rather than music hunting

Yes - Lithos Acoustics...

their website us available still

Made some similar stuff.. and very good ones i remember at that

kontra side iso-u2672.png

I might not remember that exact sound but it has stuck in my memory file as a very good speaker.

I own lovely vintage Enbee Model Designer Series Speaker Systems 100 Watts RMS made by Mr Nishi Nakra of ENBEE , New Delhi in the 1990s - 2speakers bottom unit and 2speakers top unit total 4 units details as below :

DRIVERS:
One Enbee 12 inch Woofers housed in one enclosure unit
Two Enbee 4 inch Midrange units } housed in another enclosure unit
Four Enbee 3 inch Tweeters} do
Four Enbee 2 inch Tweeters} do

FREQUENCY DIVIDING NETWORK with optimiser- 7 way.
DUCTED PORT BASS REFLEX
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 20 Hzs to 20 KHz.
ONE ENERGY CONTROL EACH FOR MID RANGE & TWEETER UNITS
POWER HANDLING - 100 WATTS.
Kindly can any forum member tell me what price I will get if I decide to sell these speakers in good condition only the mesh on wood grill needs change. Thanks

2 PHOTOS ATTACHED - of Enbee Designer Speakers.

It would be great if you can post some pics. Norge, Sonodyne, HMV (later EMI Sonic), Philips, BPL, Enbee, Bevox, Cosmic, Arphi, Pulz, Murphy, Bush, Nelco, Ahuja, Keltron (yes Ahuja and Keltron did have a line of stereo equipment), Meltron (with their EMT turntables and studio reel decks) etc are a part of Indian audio history. Nice to relive some of those memories.

Attached are the photos of Enbee Speakers -
Looking to sell these speakers or exchange them for dual Sub woofer.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Enbee 2.jpg
    Enbee 2.jpg
    1,023.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Enbee.jpg
    Enbee.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Enbee 2.jpg
    Enbee 2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 71
  • Enbee.jpg
    Enbee.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 68
Lalit Nirula mentions Mr Nakra in this beautiful piece -

https://www.india-seminar.com/2011/628/628_lalit_nirula.htm

Many thanks for this brilliant article by the owner of NIRULAs Mr Lalit Nirula -great Pizzas & best Mutton chops , reminds me of my younger days as I too was born in Lady Hardinge Hospital near CP and we stayed in Lake Square near CP and visited many of the shops mentioned in the article,only after I started working in the 1980s with DCM Shriram and started saving money to buy Music System from ENBEE Shankar Market CP that I could buy in 1990s and I cant tell you in words what a great experience it was dealing with Mr Nakra his wife and his daughter ,later after the shop was sold due to Mr Nakras old age, he only did repairs service from his house in Noida till around 2006 or 2008 when my sons visited him for service of Enbee AMPs and Speakers. And people like Soli Sorabjee still listen to jazz on ENBEE music systems-what a tribute, Thanks again.

Last edited:
Lalit Nirula mentions Mr Nakra in this beautiful piece -

https://www.india-seminar.com/2011/628/628_lalit_nirula.htm

Thank you for sharing this. This brought a wave of nostalgia for me and if you dont mind, I would like to share my own experience about him.

I knew Mr. Nakra personally, having first met him at his store in the later 80s, when I wanted to some help in reviving an DOA open reel deck I had acquired gratis (Akai GX4000D). Mr. Nakra not only helped me revive it FOC, but it was beginning on an unlikely bond between a teenager and a 60+ year old.

Mr. Nakra could be curmudgeonly on first meeting but he was a person of great depth and very strong opinions (as most idealists are). His wife and daughter were extremely charming and graciously and very wisely, they manned the showroom and answered the sometimes idiotic questions that potential customers asked about PMPO (Alas, the PMPO wars had begun) of the amps and speakers. (a question like that could bring out a different side of Mr. Nakra).

Eventually, I did become a consumer of Enbee, buying their integrated amp. (for some reason I preferred this sound to the separates which he also sold). These along with a Nikko Audio tape deck formed the mainstay of my parent's drawing room system for over a decade. As I got to know more and more people who were interested in Audio, I realised that "Nishi' had been part of so many people's life and Enbee speakers graced a lot of drawing rooms in NCR (even though their kids had Sony FH systems, like the one below)
1587312283798.png

The Genius of Mr. Nakra was getting magical sound out of available components and make it all come together. For those of you who have haunted lajpatrai market / lamington road at that time would know, there was not much available. However, if i had search within, my choice would be for the older Acoustic suspension speakers he made in his earlier days rather than the vented stuff he made in his later years. Sure, none of his Bass-reflex speakers boomed, as Mr. Nakra had a huge allergy to "One note bass - his words"; but the tightness and the cohesiveness of his older sealed systems remain memorable from my teenage years (and ears). I can only think that it was a his concession to evolving consumer tastes. I also remember that for some period in the early 90s he did a Bose 601 Series I lookalike. Having heard both back to back ( we went from the Bose - owners house in NFC to the Enbee showroom in Shankar market- 25min from room to room on a bike in those days), I can safely say Enbee was quite ahead in terms of extension and clarity, though in fairness, different rooms and the Bose was over a decade old. Post script, while the bose owner didnt buy Enbees, he did sell the Bose, very shortly.

As I moved out of NCR to study and to work, I lost touch with Mr. Nakra and his wonderful family. this was still before social media or even mobiles helped us stay connected. I heard of his passing many years after it happened and I still regret not being able to pass on my condolences to his family.

Thank you for sharing this. This brought a wave of nostalgia for me and if you dont mind, I would like to share my own experience about him.

I knew Mr. Nakra personally, having first met him at his store in the later 80s, when I wanted to some help in reviving an DOA open reel deck I had acquired gratis (Akai GX4000D). Mr. Nakra not only helped me revive it FOC, but it was beginning on an unlikely bond between a teenager and a 60+ year old.

Mr. Nakra could be curmudgeonly on first meeting but he was a person of great depth and very strong opinions (as most idealists are). His wife and daughter were extremely charming and graciously and very wisely, they manned the showroom and answered the sometimes idiotic questions that potential customers asked about PMPO (Alas, the PMPO wars had begun) of the amps and speakers. (a question like that could bring out a different side of Mr. Nakra).

Eventually, I did become a consumer of Enbee, buying their integrated amp. (for some reason I preferred this sound to the separates which he also sold). These along with a Nikko Audio tape deck formed the mainstay of my parent's drawing room system for over a decade. As I got to know more and more people who were interested in Audio, I realised that "Nishi' had been part of so many people's life and Enbee speakers graced a lot of drawing rooms in NCR (even though their kids had Sony FH systems, like the one below)
View attachment 45274

The Genius of Mr. Nakra was getting magical sound out of available components and make it all come together. For those of you who have haunted lajpatrai market / lamington road at that time would know, there was not much available. However, if i had search within, my choice would be for the older Acoustic suspension speakers he made in his earlier days rather than the vented stuff he made in his later years. Sure, none of his Bass-reflex speakers boomed, as Mr. Nakra had a huge allergy to "One note bass - his words"; but the tightness and the cohesiveness of his older sealed systems remain memorable from my teenage years (and ears). I can only think that it was a his concession to evolving consumer tastes. I also remember that for some period in the early 90s he did a Bose 601 Series I lookalike. Having heard both back to back ( we went from the Bose - owners house in NFC to the Enbee showroom in Shankar market- 25min from room to room on a bike in those days), I can safely say Enbee was quite ahead in terms of extension and clarity, though in fairness, different rooms and the Bose was over a decade old. Post script, while the bose owner didnt buy Enbees, he did sell the Bose, very shortly.

As I moved out of NCR to study and to work, I lost touch with Mr. Nakra and his wonderful family. this was still before social media or even mobiles helped us stay connected. I heard of his passing many years after it happened and I still regret not being able to pass on my condolences to his family.

It's nice to read about this @kapvin

Thanks for sharing.

It's never too late.

Best wishes

It's nice to read about this @kapvin

Thanks for sharing.

It's never too late.

Best wishes
i would if had a connection. Almost every Enbee customer I knew from that period has passed on. Remember, this is the late 80s and most of those who were Enbee loyalists were in their early 50s. People my age ran after Sony FH systems and later Sony dynapowers. or if they were all fancy then Akai-bush.

It is heartening to note that Norge Audio continues under the leadership of daughter of respectable Mr.Bajaj.It is really sad that Enbee has come to a
stop.

Many thanks for this brilliant article by the owner of NIRULAs Mr Lalit Nirula -great Pizzas & best Mutton chops , reminds me of my younger days as I too was born in Lady Hardinge Hospital near CP and we stayed in Lake Square near CP and visited many of the shops mentioned in the article,only after I started working in the 1980s with DCM Shriram and started saving money to buy Music System from ENBEE Shankar Market CP that I could buy in 1990s and I cant tell you in words what a great experience it was dealing with Mr Nakra his wife and his daughter ,later after the shop was sold due to Mr Nakras old age, he only did repairs service from his house in Noida till around 2006 or 2008 when my sons visited him for service of Enbee AMPs and Speakers. And people like Soli Sorabjee still listen to jazz on ENBEE music systems-what a tribute, Thanks again.
I am a lucky and proud owner of an Enbee masterpiece since 1995. A few words on my experience with the Old Man and his work of Art. Was a young Capt in the Indian Army and very fond of music which I think I inherited from my Dad. Still remember how youngsters my age were going for more Jazzy systems with lights, remotes etc. but somehow I loved the sound of this system the moment I heard it at a seniors place one evening and decided on it. Mr Nakra I still remember was one of the sweetest person one can ever meet, he was a genius too. I wanted the full system and he knowing very well that Army Officers were not very rich was trying to convince me on a smaller one. Had no aim of earning money, I think he did it out of passion. I am still enjoying that system till date and never has a thought of changing or upgrading it come to my mind. God Bless his soul. Last I met him at his house in Noida in 2013/14 ma’am was alive then too, what a wonderful couple. Had a cup of tea with them and left my system with them for a few days as it had travelled with me on my postings and was a little shaken up though working absolutely fine. He touched it up. I kept in touch with him as I had retired and settled down in Greater Noida. Once Ma’am left he too went probably just after a year or so. A beautiful chapter in Indian Music Industry came to an end. Unfortunately he didn’t have a son who could have learnt this beautiful art from him and his daughter lives in the US. Shall always remember him very fondly. Just joined hifivision today and looking forward to a wonderful association with like minded people. Regards.

I am a lucky and proud owner of an Enbee masterpiece since 1995. A few words on my experience with the Old Man and his work of Art. Was a young Capt in the Indian Army and very fond of music which I think I inherited from my Dad. Still remember how youngsters my age were going for more Jazzy systems with lights, remotes etc. but somehow I loved the sound of this system the moment I heard it at a seniors place one evening and decided on it. Mr Nakra I still remember was one of the sweetest person one can ever meet, he was a genius too. I wanted the full system and he knowing very well that Army Officers were not very rich was trying to convince me on a smaller one. Had no aim of earning money, I think he did it out of passion. I am still enjoying that system till date and never has a thought of changing or upgrading it come to my mind. God Bless his soul. Last I met him at his house in Noida in 2013/14 ma’am was alive then too, what a wonderful couple. Had a cup of tea with them and left my system with them for a few days as it had travelled with me on my postings and was a little shaken up though working absolutely fine. He touched it up. I kept in touch with him as I had retired and settled down in Greater Noida. Once Ma’am left he too went probably just after a year or so. A beautiful chapter in Indian Music Industry came to an end. Unfortunately he didn’t have a son who could have learnt this beautiful art from him and his daughter lives in the US. Shall always remember him very fondly. Just joined hifivision today and looking forward to a wonderful association with like minded people. Regards.
Sir
I am also a proud owner of Enbee Amplifier and speakers since 1999 .I live in Jaipur . My speakers and Amplifier require service but I am not able to find some reliable person to do it . Can you suggest some one and also please let me know whether Enbee brand is still selling the products

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back