Entry Level System in the UK

greenhorn

I've ended up in the UK for a one year term, and have already started missing my speakers - A LOT.

#1 priority is not to lose a lot of money during resale at the end of the year
#2 priority is Good sound
#3 is Reliablity (can't be bothered to run around fixing things here, unlike in India where i used to be on the lookout for non working stuff)
#4 Good Looks

I'm torn between 3 choices
Option 1
Microlab Solo 7c

I have a solo 5c at home, and am happy with it except for the bass. This should take care of it.

Option #2
New Amp and speaker combo
Something from Richer sounds or superfi clearance. I'm guessing this will still end up a bit expensive (around 200 pounds for a decent entry level bookshelf and amp)

Option #3
Used amp and speaker combo
Ideally I would have preferred this route - the prospect of getting a 3020 or a B&W on the cheap is really tempting, but I'm in leeds, and the options here are pretty few -
Gumtree - Mostly DJ equipment shows up. Hi Fi is far and few in between
Ebay - mostly click and collect ads. Used equipment sells for atrocious prices, typically 100 pounds or more for 70's integraded amps with faults!

I know option 2 should be better, but is it worth the increase in terms of sound, and will it hold any resale value better?
is there any place I'm not looking at for #3?

I've been scouting eBay UK for a couple of weeks and came across some superbly priced used items. (80 GBP for mid-level NAD amp; 300 for floorstanding Tannoys with 8" drivers). Sellers are honest and fairly cooperative and will work with you on postage/delivery options.

I would strongly recommend more scouting for used gear.

The UK is super green for small brands which give you a taste of real hifi. Try and stay away from mainstream.

For amps :
Home Page | TeddyPardo
Croft Acoustics hand made british valve amplifiers made by Glenn Croft. (Croft Micro 25, Series 7, Riaa phono stage)

Millions of speakers are available. Look at ebay uk.

I second the Croft recommendation. Superb amps for the price.

thanks, but both these brands tend to exceed my budget by several magnitudes! I'm looking for something in the 100-200 pound range

Though you mentioned that you do not want to spend much, it might be worthwhile to get something which you can bring back to India. UK runs the same voltage - so electronics is a safe buy from that perspective.

Like 'square_wave' mentioned above, there are many small scale hi-fi outfits in the UK that can give you great bang for your buck.

Best,
APK

I am not aware of your current setup but if I were in your place, I would be thinking of using this opportunity for a serious upgrade over the 1-year term and carry it with me (again I'm not sure of the legalities but I think after 1 year you can bring your stull along)...

The UK is super green for small brands which give you a taste of real hifi. Try and stay away from mainstream.

This sounds like a really good idea, and whatever you have in India now, you might still find things that you really want to keep.

Resale value, Hmmm... If I can go to a shop and get ex-demo or clearance at 25% to 50% off, I wouldn't want to buy second hand. Of course, if you buy those deals, then you won't feel the depreciation as much as you would on new. Expect to loose at least 20% the minute you leave the shop, because British buying mentality is that it is only the first buyer that pays the tax.

Don't stop with Richer Sounds and Superfi, check out lots of dealers on the net: you never know what deals you might find. I don't know about Superfi, but Richer is pretty much main-stream stuff, albeit well priced.

Wish I could be more specific... haven't been a buyer there for a long time now...

Enjoy your shopping!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back