• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted Entry level Tube Amplifier

Wharfedale Diamond 11.1 & 11.2 Speakers

spandan414

Hello Folks,

I am looking for a low cost Tube/Hybrid Integrated amplifier similar to Nobsound MS-10D. I want to get a hang of how a Tube amp sounds like before I jump in and buy a full fledged Tube amplifier. My budget is between 10 to 20K. I am going to drive my Q acoustics concept 20 speakers with it.

Regards,
Sam.

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

kartick

Hey, you could consider Lyrita Audio's EL84 Push-Pull tube amplifier. You could talk with Mr. Viren Bakhsi to check with him in case he got any refurbished one that can fit within your budget. By the way increasing your budget a bit, you could even get a new one from him. I have used that amp and can vouch that it is a great entry point into tube audio.

rohitmusic

spandan414,
Just a quick tip. Different tube amps sound very different. In fact same amp with different tubes (tube rolling) sound very different.

So while your logic of going entry level to get taste of tube sound might give you some idea in my experience a good tube amp can get you really "hooked" :) while a basic one might even give you wrong impression of tube sound. (Same with even solid state amps)

spandan414

Hey, you could consider Lyrita Audio's EL84 Push-Pull tube amplifier. You could talk with Mr. Viren Bakhsi to check with him in case he got any refurbished one that can fit within your budget. By the way increasing your budget a bit, you could even get a new one from him. I have used that amp and can vouch that it is a great entry point into tube audio.

Hi Kathik,

I'm have heard that Lyrita has stopped building push pull tube amps quite a while back. I'll check with Viren if I can get my hands on a refurbished one.

Thanks,
Sam.

spandan414,
Just a quick tip. Different tube amps sound very different. In fact same amp with different tubes (tube rolling) sound very different.

So while your logic of going entry level to get taste of tube sound might give you some idea in my experience a good tube amp can get you really "hooked" :) while a basic one might even give you wrong impression of tube sound. (Same with even solid state amps)

Hi Rohit,

Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by a moderator:

kartick

Hi Kathik,

I'm have heard that Lyrita has stopped building push pull tube amps quite a while back. I'll check with Viren if I can get my hands on a refurbished one.

Thanks,
Sam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think so. But, to cut the confusion, you could actually check with Viren sir.

Naturelover

Staff member
These are out of my budget. Their basic tube amp starts from 27k.

Nonetheless, I think call them up. Speak with Byju Chacko, the owner. He is a very helpful guy. He was on the forum also. He might have some suggestion for you.

greenhorn

Hello Folks,

I am looking for a low cost Tube/Hybrid Integrated amplifier similar to Nobsound MS-10D. I want to get a hang of how a Tube amp sounds like before I jump in and buy a full fledged Tube amplifier. My budget is between 10 to 20K. I am going to drive my Q acoustics concept 20 speakers with it.

Regards,
Sam.

the Nobsound MS-10D is a hybrid amp. You can get better results by buying a tube buffer and plugging it into your current stereo amp.

I would suggest buying a 6N3 tube buffer like this
New Buffer 6N3 Tube Amplifier Preamp AMP Pre-Amplifier Matisse Kit + Transformer

and upgrading the tubes to either russian 6N3P's or JAN GE 5670's

spandan414

greenhorn

I have a Onix Oa21s integrated amplifier. I will not be able to connect a pre-amp to it.

Your amp seems to have a tape loop, so that may be an option, but am not able to figure out the controls

worst case
If you have a single source, then source -> tube buffer -> amp
If you have multiple sources, then sources -> input selector-> buffer-> amp

you can get a cheap 3 input av switcher locally for about 150 or so
or
4 Port Input 1 Output Video Audio AV RCA Switch Switcher Selector Box | eBay

Last edited:

spandan414

Your amp seems to have a tape loop, so that may be an option, but am not able to figure out the controls

worst case
If you have a single source, then source -> tube buffer -> amp
If you have multiple sources, then sources -> input selector-> buffer-> amp

you can get a cheap 3 input av switcher locally for about 150 or so
or
4 Port Input 1 Output Video Audio AV RCA Switch Switcher Selector Box | eBay

I get what you are saying but the problem with this kind of set up on my onix amp is that I will have to connect the tube buffer to any of the inputs (CD, tape, Tuner). There is no way to by-pass the preamp section of the Onix.

greenhorn

I get what you are saying but the problem with this kind of set up on my onix amp is that I will have to connect the tube buffer to any of the inputs (CD, tape, Tuner). There is no way to by-pass the preamp section of the Onix.

having an extra solid stage preamp stage in a chain is not going to colour the sound much , especially when you have a tube buffer going in!

amit11

having an extra solid stage preamp stage in a chain is not going to colour the sound much , especially when you have a tube buffer going in!
Agree with greenhorn. I also had similar doubt. I recently purchased tube bufferv"yaqin cd3" and i am happy with it. If budget permits you can definitely go for it. It would cost around 13.5k plus customs.

Sent from my SM-N750 using Tapatalk

Music Premi

Hello Folks,

Regards,
Sam.

Hi!!!

I do have my Lyrita Tube amp for sale. I also have fostex based speakers for sale. U can contact me.

Last edited by a moderator:

yogibear

Fisher SE EL84 in great condition, NOS tubes. PM if interested.

D

Deleted member 38504

Yeah mr music premi has also messaged me for an el84